• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Paradise Kiss DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honeyrider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
Whoo, it's like 12:05 am here. You guys are right on top of things~

Anywho, Parakiss was totally bought on a whim for me [FYE's geneon buy one get one free deal whee~]. I watched the first episode of the fansub and was mildly interested, but all sorts of skeptical. I was most pleasantly surprised. First of all, I have to say this is one of the better dubs I've seen in /awhile/. Parakiss has characters that are just waiting for a voice director to encourage the actors to idicate according to possible stereotypes. But it's lovely, George isn't too 'foppish', Yukari isn't overly cold, Miwako not painfully high pitched and Arashi not too 'punk'. I was thouroughly impressed by it. And the Jenny reference tickled me, I'll admit Smile ~

Along with it's awesome dub, the story of parakiss is wonderful. Everything seems true to life in a surreal way in a lovely balance of emotion, romance drama and comedy.

in short, I absolutely adore the show and am patiently waiting for the next disk~
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
I was surprised with Nobuteru Yuki's designs since I'm used to his Heat Guy J and Escaflowne style. I was also surprised to see Rintaro (I voted him as my favorite director) listed under storyboards on this review, and I look forward to his episode. I will agree that the OP and ED are amazing. I only watched the sub track which worked well for me. I'm surprised that the review didn't mention the fashion aspects that are central to the series, or the promotional event that is an extra on the first DVD. For the first couple of episodes I thought Miwako was really young! I'm a little confused about Isabella. There is a point early on where she says something about changing close in front of us guys implying that she is a transvestite, yet I don't believe that it is mentioned elsewhere on the first disc. Did I just misinterpret this scene, or did I miss anything else that would support this theory?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote
This dvd rocks. I picked it up on a friends request (shesaw the fansubs) and I was surpsied.The story was great, the rt was beatiful.

And I also fell in love with George. :cough: can't wait for Feb!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:04 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I'm surprised that the review didn't mention the. . . promotional event that is an extra on the first DVD.

The Extras weren't available for review, either. (These advance screeners we get are sometimes just bare-bones things with the dubbed episodes only.)

Quote:
I'm a little confused about Isabella. There is a point early on where she says something about changing close in front of us guys implying that she is a transvestite, yet I don't believe that it is mentioned elsewhere on the first disc. Did I just misinterpret this scene, or did I miss anything else that would support this theory?

I'm thinking there was at least one other place in the first volume where it's implied that Isabella is a transvestite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
roujin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
I picked this up a couple of weeks back and utterly fell in love with it. It just exudes such great style and the story is interesting. I think I disagree with the reviewer on the music. I thought it fit pretty well but it pales in comparison to those great op/eds which are just amazing. I'm eagerly awaiting vol. 2
yukamii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this series by when I downloaded the fansubs and read the manga. Now, I am really joyful that I now can own the DVDs.

Can't wait until volume 2. Very Happy
kolibri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm thinking there was at least one other place in the first volume where it's implied that Isabella is a transvestite.

It's not really that much talked about, but it is explained later on. I love the way her gender is a non-issue, as is George's (bi-)sexuality - Ai Yazawa is a master storyteller, but it's her characters where it all comes alive. Too often when you have characters from sexual minorities it needs to be discussed and pointed out - here it's just part of the personality.

I love this anime, I can't wait to get my DVD Very Happy
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In a clever American pop culture homage present only in the English dub, Yukari's cell phone number (as brought up early in episode 3) may remind those who remember early '80s pop music of a certain very popular song.

It's not 867-5309 is it?

I can't think of many other "famous" phone numbers from 80s music...
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:
Quote:
In a clever American pop culture homage present only in the English dub, Yukari's cell phone number (as brought up early in episode 3) may remind those who remember early '80s pop music of a certain very popular song.

It's not 867-5309 is it?

I can't think of many other "famous" phone numbers from 80s music...

It is, in fact, Jenny's number. I'm tempted to watch the dub just to get to see that. And the fact that I though the woman who voiced Yukari in the Japanese version was very flat. Not a big fan of ParaKiss, even if the volume 1 + artbox downstairs says otherwise...(and my intent to get the special edition of the 3rd volume).

I'm really glad to see it has a good dub. This is probably going to be the first show I watch where I actually plan to watch the dub first on the DVD.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I like the anime slightly more than the manga. The latter focused way too much on Yukari at the expense of the other characters; and she's the least interesting person in the series.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I like the anime slightly more than the manga. The latter focused way too much on Yukari at the expense of the other characters; and she's the least interesting person in the series.

I actually found it completely different, the manga gets to explore aspects of the other characters that you don't see in the anime. Most of this however is entirely from the fifth volume of manga, which I feel was not adapted very well in the anime, but the rest is strong enough to make up for it (I still feel that spoiler[it should have been mentioned or shown that Hiro is Yukari's fiancee at the end).

As for Isabella, I didn't pick up that she was a transvestite until later on in the series when it is blantantly revealed in ]
her/his backstory episodespoiler[. I'm wondering about the revelation of this in the manga and whether it's done as quickly in the Japanese as it was in the English (in the English manga, Yukari says that Isabella is a man the moment they first meet). If anyone knew whether this was a change in translation or actually originally there, I would be interested (I only suspect the former because of the fact that the anime doesn't have such a revelation).

Anyway, this DVD was my latest anime purchase and I really enjoy it and cannot wait for the rest of the series, especially the special edition of vol 3 that comes with the butterfly ring Smile]
kolibri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I still feel that spoiler[it should have been mentioned or shown that Hiro is Yukari's fiancee at the end.]

Totally. I was watching is with a friend who hadn't read the manga and by the end of it she was crying her eyes out - and I had to tell her what the manga revealed which made her feel a bit better. Same goes for spoiler[Miwako and Arashi, they] weren't even mentioned.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately I didn't read the paradise kiss manga , but I absolutely loved this anime. The first volume was awesome! I was really fascinated with the story, and George is sexy as hell Wink [I don't care if he's bi lol.] All in all, this Dvd is a must have. I really loved the opening theme, the animation was excellent and the VA was pleasant as well. Very Happy as everyone said, I can't wait for febuary [19/20?] lol. Wink [Damn..GEorge is so irresistable Laughing ]
Nermal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote
Oh my....I need to watch it again to see this phone number thing. I too am looking forward to the next volume, as well as the special edition third volume (yeeeee! Very Happy ). I have a stack of manga I still need to finish, including ParaKiss, so hopefully I can catch up sometime soon.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
Aside from the fact that this is the most addicting show I've seen in a while (the year wait of not seeing fansubs was VERY VERY worth it as I've already seen the 1st DVD about 5 times)...

I have to put emphasis on the fact that this is quite possibly the most solid Bang Zoom! dub that I've heard in ages (that doesn't sound like Eric P. Sherman's other shows)

Stephanie Sheh debuted her ADR director thing with this show, and I have very high hopes for the future...

She should keep going... in fact, when Nana comes out, she needs first dibs.

But yeah, the cast and direction for this one is so friggin' spot-on that it isn't even funny.

And Patrick Seitz is like the sexiest thing ever here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1