• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - What's The Criterion?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Angel's Egg would indeed be a prime target for Criterion now that they have a new pristine BD out in Japan. I'd personally love to see the likes of Windaria, Leda, and The Time Stranger for rounding out a Yuyama collection. If we're still sticking to artsyfartsy, I'd also suggest the Animerama films by Tezuka as well as the several Phoenix films and OVAs put into a collection. Has the Karma Chapter ever been available here?

Anyway, that's what pops into my head. There's still hundreds of other OVAs and films that would benefit from a nice new release, mainly just so they could be seen by more people in good quality, like Space Fantasia 2001 Nights, or Odin's 2 hour and 20 minute cut.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Posts Sometimes wrote:
I've always wanted to see Criterion do a release of Only Yesterday. A Ghibli film seems like it would fit in with the sort of stuff they usually do and we all know Disney's never going to release it themselves, so it's always made a lot of sense to me. It's too bad that will never happen, but I'd be happy with more animation in general.

I almost forgot about that. All because of a menstruation reference right? Baffling, considering Disney once had a cartoon back in the early 40's titled 'The Story of Menstruation'.

Ocean Waves could also work as well, I don't know why its never been released here.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
What a coincidence, I'd only gotten into film more seriously and Criterion films very recently and this article comes up. While I don't like most of Oshii's oeuvre, (Patlabor 2 included, although it's probably the best of his normal stuff) Angel's Egg is one of my top 10 anime (and currently films) of all time (because it is so unlike his normal style). What I'd give for it to have a localization and a Blu-Ray remaster... A true gem in my eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see Criterion do a re-release of Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer, although that's more for the boring practical reason so I could have a copy of my all-time favourite anime film on Blu-Ray without spending the big import bucks and realistically I don't see there being enough of a North American market left for Urusei Yatsura to relicense any of it for even just DVD let alone Blu-Ray.

I'm still happy to have the CPM/USMC Collector's Edition of Beautiful Dreamer from 2004, Justin and company did a great job on it and the Oshii commentary track was a nice bonus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'd love to see Criterion do a re-release of Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer, although that's more for the boring practical reason so I could have a copy of my all-time favourite anime film on Blu-Ray without spending the big import bucks and realistically I don't see there being enough of a North American market left for Urusei Yatsura to relicense any of it for even just DVD let alone Blu-Ray.

Who knows? Discotek makes quite a lot of surprises, I think it could very well happen, I mean, look at the Dr. Slump movie collection. I never figured anyone would license any of the Dr. Slump anime here because it seems scarcely known in the Western hemisphere to my knowledge, but Discotek is giving it a shot anyways. Love those guys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

I'm still happy to have the CPM/USMC Collector's Edition of Beautiful Dreamer from 2004, Justin and company did a great job on it and the Oshii commentary track was a nice bonus.

Criterion would also be less likely to destroy the film by cropping it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
^ I'll concede that, if anything Urusei Yatsura did get relicensed, it would be Beautiful Dreamer, since that is the movie that got the most (relative) mainstream attention due to a couple of airings on Sci-Fi Channel back in the day.

I don't see anyone, even Discotek, touching the 196-episode TV series. At least the old AnimEigo disks can still be had on eBay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
^ I'll concede that, if anything Urusei Yatsura did get relicensed, it would be Beautiful Dreamer, since that is the movie that got the most (relative) mainstream attention due to a couple of airings on Sci-Fi Channel back in the day.

Unfortunately, like CPM, they'd have to hurry, since Viz has all the Tomobiki-verse on their licensing radar, just in case Ranma 1/2 sparks a new Rumiko Takahashi revival.
(Right after they get through the heartbreak-hill of their existing Maison Ikkoku, of course, so anything could happen.)

But does kind of re-emphasize how our "Criterion/Anime" mindsets are all permanently stuck in 1997, and we're thinking about all those great Suncoast VHS's that would make good Criterion disks, since they can release anything... Rolling Eyes

Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Who knows? Discotek makes quite a lot of surprises, I think it could very well happen, I mean, look at the Dr. Slump movie collection. I never figured anyone would license any of the Dr. Slump anime here because it seems scarcely known in the Western hemisphere to my knowledge, but Discotek is giving it a shot anyways. Love those guys.

Card Captor Sakura. Castle of Cagliostro. Samurai Pizza Cats.
Why the HECK are we still talking about Criterion, when Discotek are the wizards of old-school anime? Very Happy

(Well, okay, if you want to get literal about "why", it's because someone noticed the indie "Watership Down" showing up on Criterion's streaming catalog after Warner lapsed the rights...
And a lot of fanboys who think Criterion licensed Fantastic Mr. Fox especially, and not Whatever Wes Anderson Sneezes Onto Celluloid This Week.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The official word seems to be that Otomo's pretty much said everything he wants to about Akira by now, so don't even bother asking him to address it from here on in, because he's sick of hearing about it. Which is a shame, because he really needs to at least contribute a commentary track for the film. And I requested Criterion on their FB and through e-mails to do proper releases of Kon's movies, but no dice. Crying or Very sad

penguin: They gotta make money like everyone else.

Anyway, they should do a Criterion release for the Nasu films. And possibly The Cockpit.

Eric: Disney's never going to be done with Ghibli, as long as it makes money for them in Japan. Even if Miyazaki makes good on his word to close up shop, the returns on current merchandise alone makes it a good investment.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
The idea that Millennium Actress an anime movie that is one of the best animated movies of all times is out of print and not cheap to get is insane. I dont buy Criterion releases because I am not a film buff but I would easily buy a Criterion release of Millennium Actress and some of Ghibli's releases. It seems silly to not try to expand Criterion's audience by bringing in Animation fans.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Was reading the article, read the part about them been 10$, was like "no way, I just check a week ago and they were crazy expansive", realize I checked amazon.ca and not .com, checked .com, were 20$, brought both. 60$ with shipping charge, so worth it. I just checked .ca again, the second one was also pretty cheap and the first was cheaper than normal at 69.99 instead of 99.99.

Patabor 2 is one of my favorite movie, everyone has those 2-3 piece of media that really influenced them when they were teenager/young adult, patlabor 2 is one of them for me. 8 year before 9/11, that always blow my mind.

As far as movie box, obviously Satoshi Kon work deserve it, but what about Makoto Shinkai? I dunno if there's any interesting backstory/extra to cram on those, but I rather like his work.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Great article. The "anime Criterion collection" is something that I've always been thinking about ever since I first heard about the company. I only have one (Benjamin Button) but their releases are usually drool worthy in terms of design and aesthetic. And I was was one of those that bought the Patlabor special editions for 15. I'm not really a fan of the franchise, but at that price they were impossible to pass up. It helps that their animation is superb.

I always thought that Ghost in the Shell would make a good Criterion release, but we have plenty of it available. I was thinking they should make an Oshii before GITS box set, with Angel's Egg, the Urusei Yatsura movies, and maybe even the Patlabor movies. If not the latter, maybe put Dallos in there. Satoshi Kon's older stuff, like Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress, would also be prime candidates. Maybe the Otomo omnibuses like Memories, Neo-Tokyo, and Short Peace. And a little newer, but some of Shinkai's and Hosada's films would be cool additions. Lastly, the Ghibli films, but I have a feeling Disney won't be allowing that.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm possibly one of the few mega fans of the 1979 Anne Of Green Gables world masterpiece theatre series that Isao Takahata and Miyazaki worked on. A few months back it got this gorgeous blu ray box with artowork and storyboard sketches and tons of extras. In a totally pie in the sky scenario I'd just drop dead of excitement if someone like Criterion decided to slap subtitles on this and release it here, but of course that's never going to happen because it would be just about the worst business decision you could make.

In terms of things that would actually be feasible, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are the obvious choices (if Criterion do ever start releasing anime I fully expect one of these to be their first title) and I'd totally snap up a Millenium Actress Blu Ray. Actually I'd snap that up if anyone released it, but especially Criterion.

How about some Evengelion? Release Death and Rebirth and Enf of Eva in one set and emphasize the arthouse elements. They might rope some non-anime fans in that way.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
But does kind of re-emphasize how our "Criterion/Anime" mindsets are all permanently stuck in 1997, and we're thinking about all those great Suncoast VHS's that would make good Criterion disks, since they can release anything... :roll:

I think a big reason a lot of our Criterion wishlists, as pipe-dreamy as they are, are pre-1997 is that a lot of us holdouts still buying anime on physical media were already buying anime in the Suncoast era (or, for those of us in Canada, the HMV era, which actually still hasn't quite ended yet).

The reason I didn't name any post-1997 anime films is, quite simply, I already have pretty much ever anime film made this century that I'd care to own on Blu-Ray and I'm quite satisfied with the existing Blu-Ray releases of these films and wouldn't pay a Criterion markup to own them again with special features I'd watch once. The last holdout on my recent-anime-film licensing wishlist was Mai Mai Miracle, which I saw at Ottawa International Animation Festival in 2009 and loved but which has recently been crowdfunded for western release.

Practically every single anime from the past decade or so I wish would get licensed are TV series, which Criterion doesn't do and, in the case of series like Minami-ke, Criterion would have no interest in ever doing. Maybe if Windy Tales had been an anime film instead of a TV series I could see Criterion giving it a slight glance as something it might consider for its experimental visual style, but that's a pipedream-within-a-pipedream.
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Great article; you had many of my personal picks up there as well! Angel's Egg especially deserves a release. Brilliant film, and my personal favorite Oshii work. I'd also second MindGame, since I'm a huge fan of Yuasa's work.

I'd love to see Satoshi Kon's work in film get a Criterion release. He definitely deserves it; plus seeing Blu-Ray releases of Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, and Tokyo Godfathers would be absolutely worth it. In fact, I think that's the main appeal to me; seeing Blu-Ray releases of artsy titles that otherwise might not get a chance at an HD release (or a release at all).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6