• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4th Sailor Moon Dub Clip Features Sailor Mercury, Mars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I think the DVD's should be good enough for video of this quality; I doubt BD will make much of a difference.

Since it's not a true remaster anyway, more than likely so.
Soul Tsukino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
This sounds real good. I'm hoping to get it myself when it's release.

But I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of wanting to see how they handle the Sailor Jupiter "Talent" scene from season 2.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Complaint wasn't about Crystal's animation

Sorry, I've just seen that compliant so much on the Internets I just wanted to mention that I think it's too early for people to jump the gun.

Regarding Ami in the manga: I double-checked my copy of Act 2 and Ami isn't brainwashed but does end up in a daze and faints at one point.

It makes sense for her to get affected by the brainwashing in this version, though. It's the 21st Century, not using your computer to study is unheard of compared to parts of the '90s.

Soul Tsukino wrote:
But I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of wanting to see how they handle the Sailor Jupiter "Talent" scene from season 2.

Probably just go with what she actually says. Anime smile + sweatdrop "I have the biggest breasts!"
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I miss Luna's British nanny voice. Other than that, I love the dub so far!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:
It sounds so good. I'm so hyped for this re-dub. I'm loving Usagi's new voice and I can't wait to hear Sailor Venus.

Same here. I had the biggest, stupidest smile firmly affixed to my face as I watched these clips. My god. In the words of Cartoon Network's Boomerang block...

It's all coming back to you.

At this point I don't know if mu budget will allow it but I'm starting to think I may even spring for the collector's BD. Crazy days. Very Happy
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Mind-controlled planes? That has got to be the lamest villain plan I've ever seen. Even Skeletor came up with better plots than that.

I have a feeling I'm going to love Sailor Moon's cheesiness.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm on the fence with the new dub. They sound rather old for 14 year-old girls. I'm concerned about Mercury's because she really doesn't sound like her character. She sounds... aggressive? I didn't pick up any sweet/shy/gentle personality, which is what Ami should have. For example: when she shouted "Bubble Spray" (The attack is actually supposed to be Shabo Spray, by the way) she sounded so out of character.

Moon's voice sounds fine when she's speaking normally or when she's making goofy noises, but when she yells... oh god, when she yells... she sounds like some straight-up white trash (can I even say that on here?) 15 year-old brat on Maury. It's terrible. Like when she was yelling at Jadeite, she went a little overboard there. Even though Usagi is whiny and goofy, she's still supposed to have a sweet/pleasant voice mixed in there.

Mars sounds great, but again, she sounds so... old?? They seriously ALL sound like they're in their mid 20's? They're 14 year-olds? And I'm not just saying this because of the Japanese version, where some would argue that they all sound like squeeky chipmunks, and I'm not that big of a fan of the original dub either. I legitimately think they sound old for their character.

And for Luna... I like her voice. I did not like the British Nanny voice. Luna is young, and she has a young voice. It is nice. My only issue is that Michelle Ruff comes off phony whenever Luna is trying to sound serious. The way she accentuates her lines in a fast breath it sounds so fake. And she isn't saying Usagi's name right. She puts too much emphasis on the beginning and says it like "Ooooosagi".

Jadeite and Beryl's voices sound phenomenal though. I honestly don't think there could have been a better choice for Jadeite. And after listening to her work, I'm almost positive Jupiter is going to sound flawless. Not only that, but she understands her character to a T. She even wrote out this long essay about the character on tumblr awhile back, and that was amazing. What ticked me off about Mercury's is that she literally knows nothing about the series, nothing about the character, and is only going off purely by her character description. Which is fine because most voice actors do this, but still, compared to the rest of the cast, she doesn't seem to care what she's actually doing. I loved her as Talho in Eureka Seven. She's a great voice actress. I'm just worried about how she's going to handle Mercury.

But I still need to hear more to make a final decision, and whether or not I like it I'm still thankful and happy for other people that Viz is actually giving the ENTIRE thing a whole new, faithful, untampered with dub. And that's good enough on it's own.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Mars sounds good, just have to get used to it. Mercury, sounds a bit like the old Mercury voice in some parts but has her own spin on the character in others, perhaps? See how this goes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I think the DVD's should be good enough for video of this quality; I doubt BD will make much of a difference.

Since it's not a true remaster anyway, more than likely so.

People are pointing out that their release actually looks worse than the Japanese re-release. Their "remaster" is blurring out all the details to remove the grain and upping the saturation to make it seem "blu-ray quality", and they were actually being a dishonest to people when they were talking about the remasters too. It isn't recent, or whatever they said. They're using the remastered R2 release that came out in Japan in like 2003-2005. The Italian release that came out a few years ago was an legitimate remaster, and is the highest quality that exists of Sailor Moon, even beating the Japanese release. I wish we could just get that, not them meddling with it and passing it off as some "bluray" BS.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
#810558 wrote:
I'm on the fence with the new dub. They sound rather old for 14 year-old girls. I'm concerned about Mercury's because she really doesn't sound like her character. She sounds... aggressive? I didn't pick up any sweet/shy/gentle personality, which is what Ami should have. For example: when she shouted "Bubble Spray" (The attack is actually supposed to be Shabo Spray, by the way) she sounded so out of character.

Moon's voice sounds fine when she's speaking normally or when she's making goofy noises, but when she yells... oh god, when she yells... she sounds like some straight-up white trash (can I even say that on here?) 15 year-old brat on Maury. It's terrible. Like when she was yelling at Jadeite, she went a little overboard there. Even though Usagi is whiny and goofy, she's still supposed to have a sweet/pleasant voice mixed in there.

Mars sounds great, but again, she sounds so... old?? They seriously ALL sound like they're in their mid 20's? They're 14 year-olds? And I'm not just saying this because of the Japanese version, where some would argue that they all sound like squeeky chipmunks, and I'm not that big of a fan of the original dub either. I legitimately think they sound old for their character.

And for Luna... I like her voice. I did not like the British Nanny voice. Luna is young, and she has a young voice. It is nice. My only issue is that Michelle Ruff comes off phony whenever Luna is trying to sound serious. The way she accentuates her lines in a fast breath it sounds so fake. And she isn't saying Usagi's name right. She puts too much emphasis on the beginning and says it like "Ooooosagi".

Jadeite and Beryl's voices sound phenomenal though. I honestly don't think there could have been a better choice for Jadeite. And after listening to her work, I'm almost positive Jupiter is going to sound flawless. Not only that, but she understands her character to a T. She even wrote out this long essay about the character on tumblr awhile back, and that was amazing. What ticked me off about Mercury's is that she literally knows nothing about the series, nothing about the character, and is only going off purely by her character description. Which is fine because most voice actors do this, but still, compared to the rest of the cast, she doesn't seem to care what she's actually doing. I loved her as Talho in Eureka Seven. She's a great voice actress. I'm just worried about how she's going to handle Mercury.

But I still need to hear more to make a final decision, and whether or not I like it I'm still thankful and happy for other people that Viz is actually giving the ENTIRE thing a whole new, faithful, untampered with dub. And that's good enough on it's own.

Stephanie Sheh was born April 10, 1977 while Kate Higgins turns 45 on Aug. 16 while Michelle Ruff is 47 September 22 (the Japanese SM VA is 47 on Dec. 8).

I think that ultimately the blame would fall on the Japanese that approve the casting. From a performance perspective, depending on the character, it could be argued that sometimes a creator did make a mistake in approving a character voice.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
Wtf is with this site, and so much people caring about dubs?
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
Wtf is with this site, and so much people caring about dubs?
Because dubs are awesome.

Anyway, I can't watch these videos yet because they're from hulu, so it's restricted for me. I'll wait until they upload it on youtube.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Annachu512

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:26 am Reply with quote
I am just not a fan of dubbed Sailormoon. This sounded awful. All of the senshi sounded the same, squeaky and annoying, even Luna! I've enjoyed some of Todd's work but this is not one of them. I'll stick to the original. Shocked
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
Is learning how to use hola.org really that difficult? I'm sorry, the internet is hard!
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
I was a bit iffy of Sailor Moon's voice when I heard it in the first clip, but I think Stephanie Sheh sounds waaaay better in the other two clips.

Sailor Mars & Mercury sound fine to me -- for people complaining that they sound "too old" ALL of the girls sound older in both the original dub AND in the subs -- both in Crystal AND in the original series (It doesn't help that they all look like they're 18 when they're actually 14).

Luna I'm still really iffy on, though. It might just be another instance where I need to see the actual episodes, but Michelle Ruff just seems miscast, here... I don't know, maybe I'll get use to it after a while.

Todd Haberkorn sounds good, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4