• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4th Sailor Moon Dub Clip Features Sailor Mercury, Mars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Psajdak wrote:
Wtf is with this site, and so much people caring about dubs?
Because dubs are awesome.

And because the 90's DiC Sailor Moon (ahem, still Rolling Eyes ) symbolizes our intolerant fears of commercial mainstream dubs, and now they've fixed it for the DVD/Blu-ray era.

It's progress for a new generation, to let us know how far the fandom's come, in the form of poetic justice.
Now, on to inspiring Discotek to do a new Card Captor Sakura dub!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:
Psajdak wrote:
Because dubs are awesome.

And because the 90's DiC Sailor Moon (ahem, still Rolling Eyes ) symbolizes our intolerant fears of commercial mainstream dubs, and now they've fixed it for the DVD/Blu-ray era.

It's progress for a new generation, to let us know how far the fandom's come, in the form of poetic justice.

I agree with everything he said...

and still would rather have the DIC dub. Also, the fandom has gotten stupider. Poetic justice, it's a franchise that is in the process of throwing itself back up so ... business. Someone tell ADV that their Sailor Moon revival was years too early or too late, it's amazing how these things work. And when the manga was rereleased just a few years ago, it's success was a single, one off fluke and not a precursor to the anime's revival?

I recently bought Familiar of Zero and now it's Louise as Sailor Mars or Sailor Mars as Louise. As Sailor Mercury, it's Saber and not much else [various Bleach and Naruto roles omitted because I just don't care]. To put the problems with this dub simply, it's cast from a very shallow talent pool. It's not just obviously "so and so", it's abundantly them. Did anyone direct Michelle Ruff to think "overbearing nanny" {... is there where the English accent came from? Sarcasm or directorial insight, take your pick} or, at the very least, "cat"?

Sure, if you want to cast someone for hundreds of episodes, cast people who have done hundreds of episodes, I get that idea. On the other hand, there's this thing called a "rut"; If they sound this bored now, how will they sound in a hundred episodes?

As someone clearly pointed out earlier, there's a major cheese factor going on in this series and good cheese demands good ham, it's only natural {4Kids, Dan Green, loved it, always will. "My grandfather's deck has no weak cards!" ... he's not your grandfather though... and Koribo...}. And if you can only get Todd Haberkorn to respond as "villain" and not "villain" then something has gone horribly... dull.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

Did you really just ask this?

But the dub is okay. Mars' voice is a great match, but it just sounds like she's talking. No emotion at all in this clip. Mercury sounds good too. Still not used to Moon's voice. I think it'll annoy me sometimes; I'm still not used to it. Either way I'm buying this.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
All I can hear in Ami's voice is Sakura from Naruto. I did rather like that Cristina pronounced Rei's chant correctly.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
[quote="KENZICHI"][quote="Psajdak"]Wtf is with this site, and so much people caring about dubs?[/quote]

But the dub is okay. Mars' voice is a great match, but it just sounds like she's talking. No emotion at all in this clip. Mercury sounds good too. Still not used to Moon's voice. I think it'll annoy me sometimes; I'm still not used to it. Either way I'm buying this.[/quote]

Why not? It's a valid question. People who think this new dub is any better than the original (terrible) dub seem like they're just lying to themselves.
ChibiRob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
In general the voices seem good... the acting on the other hand... kinda rough... really rough...

Luna, her VA is very good but just doesn't fit.

Mercury... sigh.. poor Mercury... Sad

Mars, never liked Mars so she can be a 40 pack a day trucker for all I care Anime hyper
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Sounds pretty decent. Doesn't really hold a candle to the original Japanese, but (and by now this should go without saying, but apparently there are still nostalgia freaks) definitely exponentially better than the old SM dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
Psajdak wrote:

But the dub is okay. Mars' voice is a great match, but it just sounds like she's talking. No emotion at all in this clip. Mercury sounds good too. Still not used to Moon's voice. I think it'll annoy me sometimes; I'm still not used to it. Either way I'm buying this.

Why not? It's a valid question. People who think this new dub is any better than the original (terrible) dub seem like they're just lying to themselves.

But that's not even what they were saying. It was more like 'why do you even care about this?' Why does anyone care about anything? Because they're genuinely interested. And I don't even know how your comment relates lol.

Last edited by KENZICHI on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
Psajdak wrote:

There are many...not-so-complimentary words I can use to describe that statement right there, but I'll try to be as nice as I possibly can right now, as I'd rather not get banned.

Get that elitism checked, eh? Rolling Eyes

ANYWAY~, I think the dub is decent enough so far based on what's been shown, but a few clips aren't enough to say for certain yet. I need to hear entire episodes. We've barely heard Rei and Ami, and we haven't heard Makoto and Minako at all yet.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Hate to break it to the "they sound too old" folks, but it's not at all uncommon for girls' voices to have matured by 14. Most of the (14 year old) girls in my son's class could easily pass for 20+ over the phone.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I think they're ok. As for age sounding, if they wanted authentic, they would've got young girls a la Peanuts and Hey Arnold. As for the old dub, many watch that like they watch an American cartoon. Many older dubs' fans watch them more like that than they do a modern anime.
Apashi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Okay I'm chiming in because I just can't stand people hating on dubs because they think they know better. Newsflash: Dubs CAN be more accurate than subs. Are you fluent in Japanese? Is it your native language? Are you bilingual? If you answered yes to any of those questions than this isn't for you. I only know a little Japanese but I can assure you that the cadence is quite different than English and if you aren't familiar with it than you won't hear it. Watching anime doesn't qualify. You either have to learn in a classroom, talk to Japanese people, or move to Japan.
Also anyone and their mom can make a fansub. I can tell you from experience that they tend to be inaccurate. Unless you know Japanese you won't realize it. Heck I'm sure I don't at times. There are things that can't ever be translated without knowing. Tones of voices in dubbing really help with the accuracy. And the wonderful English-speaking actors put just as much effort into their work as seiyuu. More or less the same amount of emotion. Of course it depends on the dub.
It's hard to draw any sort of conclusion from these short clips but I like it so far. It's different from the Japanese yes, but that's because it's in English. This time it's in my native language. It's been translated and approved by those who are fluent in Japanese. All of these factors lead me to believe I will understand things much better than when I watched the fansub with pretty karaoke styling. x3
Citations: I've been watching anime since 1998. Yes, I was there for the horrid Dic "dub".
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:02 am Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
id say a pretty stellar dub so far,up until the end,which is the only bit i didn't like.

the delivery of the "i'll punish you" line,was a bit weak.

other than that,i look forward to this.

even i have to admit that much and i am a die hard moonie fan. though considering how much i got use to how the DIC cast said it, its a gimmme.

Also the casting sounds fine, unfortunately higgins as ami definitely sounds weird. Makoto or Haruka when S and Super S comes around but definitely not ami. and having natsu's voice as jedite definitely dont sound menacing enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
#810558 wrote:
I'm on the fence with the new dub. They sound rather old for 14 year-old girls. I'm concerned about Mercury's because she really doesn't sound like her character. She sounds... aggressive? I didn't pick up any sweet/shy/gentle personality, which is what Ami should have. For example: when she shouted "Bubble Spray" (The attack is actually supposed to be Shabo Spray, by the way) she sounded so out of character.

Who says all 14 year-olds have to sound a certain way? That's unrealistic. I sounded nothing like my age when I turned 13.

But I will agree with you about Mercury. I don't like the way this voice actress portrays her. I did hear some unflattering things about the way she presented herself at AX and something about her not studying Aya Hisakawa's take on the character. I don't know. I wasn't there. So I'll let someone else comment on that.

I too voiced concerns elsewhere about her "Sabão Spray" attack getting renamed. But I remember it being called "Bubble Spray" since the Pioneer/ADV subtitled releases. So while I don't like it, it's one of those things I've learned to tolerate over the years. Just like I'm currently doing with "guardian." (My last mention on that.)

For the most part, I do like it. I'm still not sure if I'll be getting the DVDs though. I got bills to pay.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:45 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Is learning how to use hola.org really that difficult? I'm sorry, the internet is hard!

I am surprised that more people aren't aware of it yet. I use it all the time to look at British and Canadian Netflix. I thought everyone was using it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4