• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Attack on Titan Confirmed for 2 Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
If you don't hear people complaining, it's because it's not really our place to decide what's offensive for Japan. Also, racism is rather different in Japan than in it is in America, so this situation is not the same as if a Hollywood movie casts Asian characters as caucasians instead.
Racism is still racism, but this isn't racism. This is just Japan going the cheapest possible route for a live action adaptation, which is par for the course.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
If you don't hear people complaining, it's because it's not really our place to decide what's offensive for Japan. Also, racism is rather different in Japan than in it is in America, so this situation is not the same as if a Hollywood movie casts Asian characters as caucasians instead.

So how is racism different in Japan then in USA, care to explain?? Also I agreed with Eyeofpain's statement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
It's only racist when whites do it.

No but really, America a diverse country with many races and ethnicities, so there's just no reason casting directions can't find talented people to play roles for Asian characters or whatever the role calls for. Japan is more or less entirely of the Yamato Japanese ethnicity, so finding white actors or others to play roles in Japanese is probably a huge challenge unless you're just going to dub them. Then there's the matter of will Japanese audiences to see casts not filled with Japanese actors? If that's racist, it's also reality. If Japan had a comparable population of non-Japanese, yeah sure, you could have a stronger argument, but they don't.
How many non-Asians even live in Japan?
How many are actors?
How many are good actors?
How many are good actors who speak good enough Japanese to be comprehended without subtitles?
I'm sure if you asked those questions of Asians in America (or really anywhere, as English is global), the number will be exponentially larger – they are not equivalent issues. It is much worse for John Wayne to play Genghis Khan than some Japanese guy to play Julius Caesar in my view.

Are you also telling me that infallible Korea never casts Koreans for non-Korean roles?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
#812055 wrote:

In terms of Japanese film. Japan is just lazy and cheap when it comes to making live action movies. You know they could have found some european or american people who spoke japanese to play the roles of the characters who weren't asian. They chose not to do so cause it would be to much work. Not saying Hollywood is better they are just as lazy with there casting of white people for asian roles. But, the thing is Japan sucks in comparison to Hollywood when it comes to CGI and Special effects so you would think they would want to i don't know at least make everything else spot on like the casting.

All and all this movie is gonna be shit. There is just too much in terms of CGI and Special effects that the Japanese are not capable of handling. It's to bad there aren't any directors in the west who are interested in Attack on Titan. I mean shit someone show AoT to Guillermo del Torro he would do a stellar job with it.

Basically these live action movies are being made to cash in on the franchise. Which is a bad idea since they will basically be spending money on a huge production of movies that will most likely not do well or if they do well they will only barely break even. So really these movies shouldn't have been made. At all .

I've seen a lot of East Asia Cinema, and I'll agreed with you that Japanese films tend to be subpar compared to Korean and Chinese films when it comes to CGI and special effects. I've seen Korean and Chinese films that looks way better and can hold up to Hollywood film/production. I mean which Japanese films can hold candle to The Fatal Encounter, and Drug War. I can't think of any Japanese films that can hold candle (well except the live-action Kenshin film) to these 2 non-Japanese Asian films I mention.

I'll agreed Del Toro could've done this. I would've like Gareth Edwards (director of Godzilla reboot) or JJ Abrams to have done the live-action Attack on Titan instead of Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"-What the hell did you wipe on my shirt?!

- My faith in humanity."

god dammit Japan, I knew it but still had some faith in you
bin1127

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
If only they could get the Game of Thrones special fx guys to do this movie then the bloody scenes would be totally awesome.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean which Japanese films can hold candle to The Fatal Encounter, and Drug War. I can't think of any Japanese films that can hold candle (well except the live-action Kenshin film) to these 2 non-Japanese Asian films I mention.

I would imagine you don't watch a lot of Japanese films, considering that you can't find any movie besides Kenshin film, that matches those two. I am not a blind Japanophile and Drug War was one of my favorite movies of 2013, but good lord Japanese cinema hosts some of the best directors currently working by global standards. Your entire dismissal of their cultural output is ignorant,irritating and slightly problematic.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

I would imagine you don't watch a lot of Japanese films, considering that you can't find any movie besides Kenshin film, that matches those two. I am not a blind Japanophile and Drug War was one of my favorite movies of 2013, but good lord Japanese cinema hosts some of the best directors currently working by global standards. Your entire dismissal of their cultural output is ignorant,irritating and slightly problematic.

I'm sorry, I mean recent Japanese films (anything coming out after 2009), I didn't mean to generalize all Japanese films. But a lot of the recent Japanese films coming out doesn't look as good as it used to, Japanese films released from 1950-2008 looks way better then what is coming out these days.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sorry, I mean recent Japanese films (anything coming out after 2009), I didn't mean to generalize all Japanese films. But a lot of the recent Japanese films coming out doesn't look as good as it used to, Japanese films released from 1950-2008 looks way better then what is coming out these days.

Ah no, I am strongly disagreeing with you there. People who were active in 2008 are active in 2014. They didn't wake up one day and started making bad movies.
Chaos Salad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's only racist when whites do it.

No but really, America a diverse country with many races and ethnicities, so there's just no reason casting directions can't find talented people to play roles for Asian characters or whatever the role calls for. Japan is more or less entirely of the Yamato Japanese ethnicity, so finding white actors or others to play roles in Japanese is probably a huge challenge unless you're just going to dub them. Then there's the matter of will Japanese audiences to see casts not filled with Japanese actors? If that's racist, it's also reality. If Japan had a comparable population of non-Japanese, yeah sure, you could have a stronger argument, but they don't.
How many are actors?
How many are good actors who speak good enough Japanese to be comprehended without subtitles?
I'm sure if you asked those questions of Asians in America (or really anywhere, as English is global), the number will be exponentially larger – they are not equivalent issues. It is much worse for John Wayne to play Genghis Khan than some Japanese guy to play Julius Caesar in my view.

Are you also telling me that infallible Korea never casts Koreans for non-Korean roles?

Very well put. Japan is more or less racially homogeneous, while the US is not. In Japan, when Japanese actors play white characters, it's a matter of availability- there just isn't a wealth of non-Japanese actors in Japan to play these roles. When the reverse happens in the US, it's not a matter of availability. There are plenty of talented minority actors who could play those roles.

It really just boils down to underlying racism in American society. Movie executives, producers, or whoever gets the final say in casting decisions aren't convinced that a cast of mostly minorities would sell as well as a cast of mostly white actors. For example, a cast of all black people is only ever seen in a "black movie" targeted to a black audience. However, a cast of all white people is considered a "regular movie", marketed to Americans in general. "White-washing" happens when producers try to broaden the audience with the mindset of "more people can relate to white characters".

The reverse mindset doesn't seem to be part of Japanese culture, considering movies with white protagonists (i.e. Frozen and The Amazing Spider-Man 2) do pretty well over there. I'm not saying that there's no racism in Japan (there is definitely plenty of racism in Japan), but this type of subtle racism in the media is not why Japanese actors are cast to play white characters.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Then there's the matter of will Japanese audiences to see casts not filled with Japanese actors?

American movies air all the time in Japan. I'd say it's evident they don't care who's in the starring role unlike American movie goers and producers. If an American movie is popular, Japan will air it with options for subbed or dubbed viewing for audience preference. If an Asian movie is popular, America will remake it with a bunch of white people.

Seeing some people trying to lump Japan and America together is beyond mystifying and seems more like a statement out of blind patriotism than critic analysis. Despite America being called a melting pot country it has a surprising amount of white flavoring dominating the dish in most aspects of life here. It's a bit troubling when a country made up of 98% Japanese people has more open mindedness and diversity in their media presentation than we do.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

How many are actors?
Having seen a good number of non-Asian extras in dramas, I would hazard a guess of "not many." They often strike me as some random tourist grabbed from the street (though I'm sure they're procured through some sort of agency).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2