• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Equal Crime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
Ji-L87 wrote:
Listen, people, getting mad at a guy because he criticizes a game where you undress people on the street just puts you in a bad light.

Ah yes, the old "only pedophiles/rapists/communists/puppy haters would disagree with this.. you're not a pedophile/rapist/communist/puppy hater, are you?" defense. The one people tote out when they have no actual defense so they seek to threaten to defame anyone who would disagree with them as a scare tactic instead. One all too common in the realm of internet journalism and criticism, sadly.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I still don't understand why "person who cares about social justice" is a derogatory term. I am fine with people who fight for social justice. I am not fine with opportunists or sycophants who pander to a certain audience in order to be flattered by it. "Social opportunist" sounds much more like an insult to me. I don't think that is the case with this article.

The author proposed points for all sides. Yes, men like looking big strong and handsome and women like looking powerful yet curvy and beautiful. The problem is that women often get the curvy and beautiful part without the powerful part. There are few women in fictional media who are powerful for their own goals rather than in service to a more powerful male.

There is room in the media to cater to all fantasies of servitude, dominance, and preferred attractiveness, but let's not fool ourselves into claiming that there is balanced representation. I am not keen on the market value of individual patronage, but perhaps I am wrong and female fanservice sells just as well as male fanservice. Every now-and-then a series like Twilight comes around to balance things out. Even if the female lead in Twilight doesn't seem powerful at all, females still eat it up and enjoy it.
The_way67

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
If the game is about stripping female vamps...then why change it? Looks pretty lame with the male stripping as well. FAIL.
Ji-L87

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
Ji-L87 wrote:
Listen, people, getting mad at a guy because he criticizes a game where you undress people on the street just puts you in a bad light.

Ah yes, the old "only pedophiles/rapists/communists/puppy haters would disagree with this.. you're not a pedophile/rapist/communist/puppy hater, are you?" defense. The one people tote out when they have no actual defense so they seek to threaten to defame anyone who would disagree with them as a scare tactic instead. One all too common in the realm of internet journalism and criticism, sadly.

That's not really at all what I wanted to say Confused
I just believe there is nothing wrong with bringing out problems with the game's content. I never said that people who liked the game was in the wrong for liking it - and I even said I would be interested myself if I had a Vita. It's just that I find it silly to get angry and trying to defend a game like this.

I think it's possible to both like a game with content like this and at the same time understand why other people might find it problematic.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
"Hmm. Is there a way I can completely invalidate my entire post in three words or less?"

Shippoyasha wrote:
person who cares about social justice

Ah, there it is.
You said this in a nicer, more concise way than I was planning. Kudos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5