• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces Watamote English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Good luck Monica, you're going to need it.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I like Monica a lot, she'll definitely be one of the legends when she retires, but this is not the right role for her. I'd much preferred Brittany Karbowsky to Monica.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I would very much like to hear a trailer. Sentai uploaded one to YouTube a few weeks ago, but it was taken down because of some bull**** copyright claim and hasn't been put back up since.

which dont make sense considering they have the license rights and all. kinda stupid when some companies does BS like this. this is what causes those licenseing prices to go up and make other companies hesitate to license their series to companies in the US if some does things like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
I like Monica a lot, she'll definitely be one of the legends when she retires, but this is not the right role for her. I'd much preferred Brittany Karbowsky to Monica.

While I agree, its hard to argue against the decision. Every actor had their fair shot when it came to auditions, and if the director decided Monica had the best audition, who are we to question it?

I wouldn't mind a DVD/Blu-Ray extra with behind the scenes footage of the audition process so we could see how they went. It's Sentai though, so I'm not holding my breath or anything.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I wish Sentai let guests preview the first episode's dub on their website like they did in the past. That's how I knew whether or not to buy...I see what they did there.

As far as choices go, Monica has certainly made my list of favorite English voice actresses, if not the most prolific. Her range is excellent, and Sentai knows this; I'd dare say she's on par with Yu Kobayashi.

As for the role of Tomoko? Hard to say. This was one ridiculous character. I'm not sure any English voiceover could work for her. But I said the same about MariaHolic, so I'll just have to wait and see. Hope for the best.
Zumie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Monica got it- she's really talented and what not. Zach didn't seem to like the job she did though however, which I kinda found weird but, oh well.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
Zumie wrote:
I'm glad that Monica got it- she's really talented and what not. Zach didn't seem to like the job she did though however, which I kinda found weird but, oh well.

You have to understand, though. Zac doesn't like most things people like. Neutral

I'm sure Monica will do fine.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
A Sentai dub that's not in compliance with the Brittney Karbowski Full Employment Act of 2008? What madness is this? Razz

That said, a lot of the other usual suspects in Sentai dubs are also in this cast, as well as some newer names. Also, Monica Rial actually announced she'd be playing Tomoko all the way back on July 4. Why did it take Sentai that long to officially announce the rest of the cast?
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
No disrespect to the English voice actor who's been chosen, but I seriously doubt she'll be able to pull Tomoko off as well as Izumi Kitta did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2