• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Masaaki Yuasa's Studio Shows Off The Animation Technique Behind Ping Pong

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
I'm not big on Yuasa's design stuff, but he is a very good animator. Look over on professional animator websites and blogs and they are really into Yuasa!

The appeal is mostly from those within the industry & fans of animation as an artform, rather than mainstream audiences.

His loose animation style has a lot of freedom and interesting perspectives. It breaks the mould and manages to be something refreshingly different with a lot of energy which makes it stand out from the typical mould of mainstream anime.

Indeed it is a matter of taste, and also depends on how long you've been involved in animation. If you asked me ten years ago whether I'd have liked a show like this, I'd have been put off by the animation. But after a long time I've seen so much animation that I yearn for something different and now actually do appreciate shows like Ping Pong and Mind Game.

For one thing his style also matches the them of the work. Mind Game is a bat-shit crazy story with ridiculous scenes and characters. It honestly wouldn't work as well, or rather come off with the same expression if you approached it in the same way as a typical mainstream presentation.

The same for Ping Pong. A series about table tennis would come off as rather dull, but the animation style and presentation gives it a flow and energy that makes it really gripping in visual form.

Perhaps wait a few years and watch what you like and revisit Yuasa's work awhile from now. You might find you actually developed a palate for it!
dudebro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:
I'm completely baffled why this guy is getting any attention. None of his shows have sold. At all. His art looks terrible. Look at those sketches. They look like a high-schooler crapped them out. And then look at the video at 0:30-0:32. LOL. Good job with staying on model there. That barely looks like a human being.

Is this just some hipster thing? That it's cool to like it because it's terrible? Someone please explain this to me. And hipsters need not apply.

It's not just the art that counts, but also the script, animation, imagery, composition and direction.

AnimeKnight2034 wrote:
Its like he has no idea what perspective is.

He messes with perspective on purpose.

Also, here's a scene from Samurai Champloo that he animated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TDu8kiz7Jo
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:
Is this just some hipster thing? That it's cool to like it because it's terrible? Someone please explain this to me. And hipsters need not apply.

that kind of makes it sound like the only explanation you'll accept is from someone who agrees with you, but here

Quote:
Reuben Baron asked: “Your art styles constantly vary, but are always different from the standard ‘anime’ look. Have you encountered resistance because of this or do you always get the freedom to go as wild with your animation as you want?”

Y) I think over how much freedom I want to take and when to apply the brakes, and I decide those things for myself. Encountering resistance isn’t really a factor.

basically it's cool for creators to do what they want to do and it's lame and boring for them to just try and make a product that will sell
AnimeKnight2034

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
0:30 to 0:32 is showing off a function of Flash that allows for artificial perspective... It's not the finished animation... It's how they do the head rotation when closing in on Smile's eye without redrawing. Look closely.

It's just characteristic of how the show looks overall. It goes off model ALL THE TIME.

Doodleboy wrote:
Shows selling are not an arbiter of quality. If that were the case Transformers will be high-art and Baccano a piece of crap.

Wellllll, I personally don't care for either of those Razz. But yeah, I'm just saying that sales is representative of the amount of fans one has. His stuff does NOT sell. That means he doesn't have a lot of fans. But on the Internet I see lots of stuff saying he's currently one of the best guys working in the business. If that were true, wouldn't he have more fans? Look at Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. 2 of the best. Lots of fans. These people are trying to argue that random schlub who can't sell many jerseys is one of the best players in the game. The cream rises to the top.

Doodleboy wrote:
But it's taste, people have different tastes. I don't think there are any hipster anime fans. Anime is the least cool thing ever and that's fine. Let's not take it so seriously.

That's fine. I'm all for people taking stuff like this less seriously. I just get frustrated when people get all serious and call him one of the best in the biz. It's BS and should be called out.

reanimator wrote:
Believe it or not, Yuasa was hired to do a storyboard for third Berserk movie despite his "terrible art". Why is that? He has certain artistic qualities that many popular Japanese animators & character designers don't have and his colleagues respect him for what he can do.

You don't like a certain artist's art style? Then there are people who don't like your favorite art style either.

Berserk looks terrible. So that's not shocking he worked on it. People might not like my favorite art style, but at least it sells. So I can back it up when I say "people like this art" when someone goes on some anti-moe rant. Can you do the same? Not really. That's why this is so silly. They argue that his art style is better, but if it was, it'd sell at least a bit more.

jdnation wrote:
Perhaps wait a few years and watch what you like and revisit Yuasa's work awhile from now. You might find you actually developed a palate for it!

Oh please, stop it with the high horse. This is exactly what I'm talking about. I've watched plenty of anime. His stuff still sucks.

TrailOfDead wrote:
that kind of makes it sound like the only explanation you'll accept is from someone who agrees with you, but here

Nah I just put that out there to save people from responding with the usual trite about me not getting it. I think this thread has been fairly free of stuff like that so I"m glad I put that disclaimer there.

TrailOfDead wrote:
basically it's cool for creators to do what they want to do and it's lame and boring for them to just try and make a product that will sell

Who say's that other artists DON'T create what they want? No, I mean clearly only Yuasa is the only ARTISTE in the industry because his stuff doesn't sell and looks different. Being different for the sake of being different isn't a good thing. But all the guys who make popular shows can't also be possibly ARTISTS as well who just so happen to make things that actually resonate with fans.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:

Wellllll, I personally don't care for either of those Razz. But yeah, I'm just saying that sales is representative of the amount of fans one has. His stuff does NOT sell. That means he doesn't have a lot of fans. But on the Internet I see lots of stuff saying he's currently one of the best guys working in the business. If that were true, wouldn't he have more fans? Look at Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. 2 of the best. Lots of fans. These people are trying to argue that random schlub who can't sell many jerseys is one of the best players in the game. The cream rises to the top.

Well I already told you why he breaks model. He hires animators like this guy http://bahijd.tumblr.com/, I'm pretty sure he can stay on model if he wanted to. It's a choice and faithful to the manga that inspired the series (read it, the mangaka does crazy things with the Dragon/Peco match and it's awesome).

Aren't those people fans? I mean he clearly has fans in the animation industry. He got hired to direct an episode of Adventure Time. Ping Pong aired on the NoitaminA block, which is pretty damn prestigious.

And I still think you're looking at sales the wrong way. What does it take to sell an anime in Japan? Well an adaptation of a popular light-novel, with faithful adherence to the point of being clunky. Cute moe girls doing cute things. Otaku-pandering... Notice how story doesn't enter the equation? Yeah of course Yuasa's shows which specially avoids having cute moe girls, which doesn't adapt light novels, which isn't about otaku won't sell as well to that market.

SAO, K-ON!, Haruhi and Mahouka are huge sellers in Japan... and sorry to those who like those shows. But I don't see those as the cream of the crop of the medium at all. Hell there was an article out recently on how Pokemon outsells Ghibli.

Ghost in the Shell is an anime movie that is considered a classic today, and is still pretty top grade animation. Ghost in the Shell sold like craappp when it came out and only did well in the american market. Mamoru Oshii's films are still are not top sellers. Doesn't make his films any less beautiful or complex.

So cream of the anime being the top sellers? Not really.
dudebro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
AnimeKnight2034 wrote:
Berserk looks terrible. So that's not shocking he worked on it. People might not like my favorite art style, but at least it sells.

Storyboarding doesn't mean he's in charge of the art. He storyboarded episode 7 of Photo Kano, but it still has the same art as the rest of the series.

I can't actually find any information on him storyboarding that movie, but the point still stands.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
I didn't say it was bad to resonate with anime fans, although they've got shit taste in general

I just mean it's not worth caring about is all!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2