• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Well, Strawberry Panic ended....

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Just to give a rundown on what happened in the last episode:

spoiler[Hikari and Amane won the Etole election.

Shizuma confessed her love to Nagisa, and Nagisa returned her love with some hawt kissing action! Cool

That means Tamao got screwed, BADLY! Crying or Very sad ]

Overall, this has to be one of the biggest guilty pleasure yuri series I've seen (the other one I considered is Kannazuki no Miko; I wonder if that last volume will get reviewed Rolling Eyes ). And I acknowledge the fact some of the episodes were banal and flat out lame; I wasn't really all interested in Hikari's and Amane's relationship at all. And not to mention this series is one example Madhouse Studios clearly didn't really give it their all; it was mediocre at best (probably their budget is mostly concentrated on NANA, Black Lagoon, Death Note, and the like).

Still, I'm kind of sad this series over despite those faults especially when the final ending song was playing. I REALLY hope this gets licensed since we're seriously lacking yuri titles. Confused
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Still, I'm kind of sad this series over despite those faults especially when the final ending song was playing. I REALLY hope this gets licensed since we're seriously lacking yuri titles. Confused

I was sick of this series by the end. Some of the later episodes, including the incredibly awful
Quote:
amnesia twist
, just turned me way off. The series had a good middle run, but as a whole, I don't have any favor at all. I did enjoy the ending, but felt cheated when I never got to see any spoiler[Tamao x Nagisa kiss], since that was one of the reasons I stuck around for this thing. Laughing

I enjoyed the Hikari x Amane relationship early in the series, but it kind of got old when they had already progressed it to a certain point and had to stall for time. This series did stall a lot for time, which just made it that much more frustrating to watch. I think as a 13 episode series, this could've been one of the more exciting of the year, as a 26 episode show, I can't say much good about it.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I REALLY hope this gets licensed since we're seriously lacking yuri titles. Confused
Considering that yet another yaoi just got licensed, I can only agree. I honestly don't understand why there is such a lack of yuri. Do the licensing companies actually think that we DON'T want to see hot anime girls making out? Confused

Also, I sometimes feel like I am the only person who truly enjoyed all of Strawberry Panic!. Every post I read has someone lamenting spoiler[Tamao's loss in the battle for Nagisa or Yaya's not being able to get under Hikari's skirt.]

It wasn't the most emotionally powerful or best animated series ever, but it's solidly good in my opinion and beats the crap out of some series. I really liked the charater designs, especially Shizuma's.

While some parts of Strawberry Panic! weren't as strong as they could have been, I thought that the parts dealing with spoiler[Kaori and Shizuma's relationship in the past and how Kaori's death affected everything] were very powerful. Also, while it was a tad soap opera, the spoiler[amnesia] story line did do a nice job of showing how strong the bonds were between spoiler[Amane and Hikari].

If nothing else, it was nice to actually have some real scenes of yuri rather than just a lot of subtext and innuendo. Plus, I think people would be less harsh toward the series if it had ended with spoiler[Chikaru knocking on Tamao's door for one of her comfort sessions. My only real complain about the series was that they didn't do enough with her.]
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
Personally, I too was disappointed. I don't even know why, now that I think about it. I guess it's the thought of the future that bothers me the most. spoiler[Tamao loves Nagisa, and they're roomates... but Nagisa essentially betrayed Tamao's feelings by going back to Shizuma. They're still going to have to live together, but there is basically no more chance for them to have a serious relationship. Shizuma is leaving in three months too... and then where will Nagisa be? Will she go crawling back to her 2nd choice (Tamao)? Or will she just be forever staring off into the sky thinking about Shizuma and ignoring the girl who lives with her and loves her? Also, she failed in succeeding Shizuma in the Etoile position, something that would have been awesome in my opinion as a way for her to "get over" her feelings for Shizuma, or at least accept the truth the future holds for their relationship.]

I actually don't really care if it gets liscensed here too bad. The start was strong, but pretty much all the episodes that didn't deal with Nagisa felt pretty weak to me, and I couldn't have cared less about Hikari except that she got her girl. The abundance of these episodes not really dealing with Nagisa near the end really killed the pacing for me. In the end, I thought it was merely a "good" series (though I was about to rate it excellent in the middle...).[/spoiler]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:05 am Reply with quote
I found Strawberry Panic! to be one of the worst anime I've seen the entire way through, quite honestly. But it did teach me someting--even though all of my favorite couples in anime involve two females, I do not enjoy shoujo-ai for the sake of shoujo-ai. Basically, it makes the relationships like every other crummy boy-girl relationship I've seen (relationships only seem to work for me if they're not the focus of the anime, which is usually the case for all of the shoujo-ai relationships I've seen). Disappointing to say the least. But at least now I know.

Although, that might not hold true if a show is actually written for girls/women rather than the middle-of-the-night male otaku. Overall, the show was entirely too shallow for my tastes. It seemed to be pandering to the type of guy who liked submissive women, and has a warped/unrealistic way of thinking girls act/think. Come on, the spoiler[apron episode? The umbrella episode? The fact that Nagisa acted like a clueless Keitaro?] Clearly not made for women...which isn't always a problem, but this time certainly was.

Very disappointing for me.

However, I did like Chikaru very well. I wish more time had been spen ton her, but at the same time I loved the intriguing way she acted. I originally liked Amane and Hikari, but as someone else mentioned, spoiler[they were fixed up so quickly and so randomly that it hurt my views on their relationship, and the insomnia thing was just so silly.]

But I could rant for days about this series, which is sad because I disliked it and should just move on. But hey, as long as someone enjoyed it, I'm happy. It just was not for me.
vroenis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately I already wrote my post-mortem on Strawberry Panic! in my online diary, so I've kind-of exhausted my motivation to expound. However I will say that the final episode wasn't a particularly pleasing one for me, especially given what I thought was a brilliant episode 25. You can find my long and probably boring response here if you really have nothing else better to do with your time.

To put it briefly, I felt that the series swayed between moments when it truly shined, and moments when it was extremely contrived and poorly writen in light of some of the better moments. I know that Strawberry Panic! is a very different production to the two Marimite seasons, but when SP had its sincere moments, it really did remind me of the more sombre elements of Marimite, and the innevitable comparisons began. At times I thought SP was just a little coy in its excecutions of certain narrative points, made worse by the fact that at times what we know will innevitably happen sometimes doesn't feel quite right when it finally does, simply because of the contrived manner in which it's been delayed.

I'll stop there - it'll make more sense if you can be bothered reading the response I wrote. There were times when I really did enjoy this series, but it did have a few glaring shortcomings.[/spoiler]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Although, that might not hold true if a show is actually written for girls/women rather than the middle-of-the-night male otaku. Overall, the show was entirely too shallow for my tastes. It seemed to be pandering to the type of guy who liked submissive women, and has a warped/unrealistic way of thinking girls act/think. Come on, the spoiler[apron episode? The umbrella episode? The fact that Nagisa acted like a clueless Keitaro?] Clearly not made for women...which isn't always a problem, but this time certainly was.

I hear a number of people say this, but it's really not true. SP was serialized in a shoujo magazine (I don't remember which one, but I'm sure someone else around here knows), and considering it's a fairly faithful adaptation, so it's pretty hard to argue that it's aimed towards male otaku. Does turning a shoujo into an animated form make it not shoujo? That's a pretty weak line of logic. It includes so many shoujo aspects that are so strong, I have a hard time believing that anyone actually think it's not one. Otaku like it because it contains many elements they like: yuri... yeah... ok, that's the big one. But remember, the fact that otaku like it has nothing to do with the original intent and style of the creation. I for one liked it because it was shoujo, as I happen to have some favorites in that genre like Nana.
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:15 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Mylene wrote:

I hear a number of people say this, but it's really not true.

Err, yes it is. The show itself aired at 1:45am (maybe 2:45). That's certainly not the best time to air shows for girls. You can take a look at the official website to confirm this. I know I put it in a different SP! thread as well. Just because the cast was girls doesn't mean it's a shoujo anime. And this certainly was not shoujo, even if the manga was.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
I REALLY hope this gets licensed since we're seriously lacking yuri titles. Confused
Considering that yet another yaoi just got licensed, I can only agree. I honestly don't understand why there is such a lack of yuri. Do the licensing companies actually think that we DON'T want to see hot anime girls making out? Confused

I'm still scratching my head about that. Hopefully since Seven Seas licensed the Strawberry Panic novels and the Kashimashi manga, they might start some sort of yuri upbringing just like how Digital Manga Publishing did with yaoi. And hopefully Kannazuki no Miko's sales might convince Geneon to license another yuri series (of course they could have license it because it has giant mechs and it's a Rondo Robe title).

And wasn't Strawberry Panic serialize in Dengeki G which is a bishoujo magazine aimed mostly towards guys?
shehzad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And wasn't Strawberry Panic serialize in Dengeki G which is a bishoujo magazine aimed mostly towards guys?

I watch all 26 episodes and as I'm concerned strawberry panic is a DEFINENT seinen.

Quote:
REALLY hope this gets licensed since we're seriously lacking yuri titles

Why should now Strawberry panic! not get licenced, all anime should be licenced, even if mushashi should get licenced.

Oh as the ending is concern I hope that there would be an ova to help me satisfy the series. Not that the will be one - but it would be nice just to see Nagisa and tamao doing something inapropriate that they did not do throughout the entire series!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Mini Jesus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quote
In all honesty I wasn't impressed with Strawberry Panic!. It's animation quality was lacking, it's pacing was horrible, and the actual twists in the story seemed extremely forced and not very good. I continued watching it all the way through in hopes something good would happen for Tamao in regards to Nagisa or Yaya in regards to Hikari. Mabye I'm just bitter towards the series because Tamao ends up alone at the end of the series and Yaya may or may not be with Tsubomi. I absolutely hated Shizuma, Especially after episode 13. spoiler[I think that was the one where Tamao goes to visit home and Nagisa and Shizuma have their first kiss. First she threatens Amane when Nagisa is just talking with her, then she proceeds to remove the ribbon Tamao tied on Nagisa's wrist so that Nagisa wouldn't feel lonely and...]damn it she just pissed me off in that episode[/spoiler]
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:03 am Reply with quote
Hope I don't get shot for reviving what could be considered an old thread (if so, I'm sorry!), but here goes;

Hmm, I don't normally go out of my way to watch shoujo-ai/yuri series like Strawberry Panic!, but even though it was very cliche, sugary sweet (cloyingly so at times), & extremely cheesy in places (almost cringe-worthy), I found myself totally enthralled by it all.
Even with all it's faults, I loved this show, especially since spoiler[my two favoured pairings got together in the end, yay! I know there are alot of Tamoa fans out there, but she's a freaking stalker type!! The Etoile gave me the willies when she first appeared, but I soon realised that Tamoa was even worse! And besides, Nagisa did not have the same feelings for Tamoa as she did for Shizuma. As for Amane & Hikari, I've read that alot of fans think that Amane is dull, but I think they are sweet together; a prince & her princess. I wanted these two to get together even moreso than Shizuma & Nagisa, despite the fact that Yaya is my favourite character in the entire series.]

I've enjoyed this series so much that I ended up importing the first DVD from Japan. The DVD was very expensive (about US$50 for the first two episodes), so I really, really hope that SP gets a proper release in the US. Here's to hoping. *fingers crossed*
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Holy Haurhi! Someone else who had the same reaction to Strawberry Panic! as I did! Shocked Anime hyper

EVA fiend: I wish I'd seen your post earlier this week, but I totally missed it. Although it is belated, I heap you with praise for seeing what so many miss. Tamao is spoiler[a creepy stalker girl. She goes out of her way to terrify Nagisa, not to mention poor Chiyo, while they're on the summer trip, she constantly treats Nagisa like some sort of doll or toy, and only at the end does she finally take Nagisa's feelings into consideration by pushing her away. Literally.]

Shizuma had problems, sure, but Tamao was worse. Shizuma at least seemed to have real feelings for Nagisa herself. Tamao only fell for her because she was her roommate.

And someone should have told Yaya that spoiler[molesting a girl] is not an appropriate method of seduction. Hikari had already been spoiler[nearly raped twice by Kaname] and now her best friend, who she seems to love like a sister, gets in on it? Whatever chance Yaya might have had was gone after that.

Someone should have told Yaya that spoiler[the Chikane Himemiya method of seduction only works for Chikane Himemiya. Wink ]

EVA fiend wrote:
Hope I don't get shot for reviving what could be considered an old thread
I think you can revive threads that haven't had activity in them if it's within a month of the previous post. Since the last post before yours was in late October, it was fine, otherwise you'd have been chastized by Tony K. Or possibly Nagisa, which would have been ironic considering the thread topic.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:05 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Although it is belated, I heap you with praise for seeing what so many miss. Tamao is spoiler[a creepy stalker girl. She goes out of her way to terrify Nagisa, not to mention poor Chiyo, while they're on the summer trip, she constantly treats Nagisa like some sort of doll or toy, and only at the end does she finally take Nagisa's feelings into consideration by pushing her away. Literally.]

As much as I didn't want Tamaospoiler[ to get Nagisa at the end of the series, a small part of me felt very sorry for her at the end. She's a stalkery type solely due to the fact that she was alone in the Ichigo dorms for so long, so when a room mate did finally appear in the form of Nagisa, she became frightenly obsessed. I mean, she takes down Nagisa's vital statistics on the first day of meeting her, writing everything down in that little book of hers. If that doesn't sound alarm bells I don't know what will!]

Richard J. wrote:
Shizuma had problems, sure, but Tamao was worse. Shizuma at least seemed to have real feelings for Nagisa herself.

Only seemed? Hmm, I actually felt that Shizuma was very much in love with Nagisa,spoiler[ it's why she tried so hard to distance herself from Nagisa towards the end of the series IMO; she only had a few months left at school, why be with someone only to have to leave & break their heart later on? My favourite scene in the last episode is when Shizuma disrupts the Etoile competition, & screams "NAGISA! AISHITERU YO!!"] Awesomeness, hehe, sends chills up my spine just thinking about it. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Richard J. wrote:
And someone should have told Yaya that spoiler[molesting a girl] is not an appropriate method of seduction. Hikari had already been spoiler[nearly raped twice by Kaname] and now her best friend, who she seems to love like a sister, gets in on it? Whatever chance Yaya might have had was gone after that.

I blame that debacle clearly in Kaname & Monome's laps. Yaya was spoiler[so very much infatuated with Hikari, that when Kaname told her that 'love can only be fought with love', it tipped poor Yaya over the edge. Still, Yaya was rather stupid to take advice from that evil cow in the first place, but I suppose that desperation will make one do stupid things. Sad]

Richard J. wrote:
Someone should have told Yaya that spoiler[the Chikane Himemiya method of seduction only works for Chikane Himemiya. Wink ]

*lmao* That is so true. On another forum I'm a member, there was a debate on who would win in a face off between spoiler[Chikane & Shizuma. Chikane won after molesting Shizuma into submission. Razz]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
EVA fiend wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Shizuma had problems, sure, but Tamao was worse. Shizuma at least seemed to have real feelings for Nagisa herself.

Only seemed? Hmm, I actually felt that Shizuma was very much in love with Nagisa,spoiler[ it's why she tried so hard to distance herself from Nagisa towards the end of the series IMO; she only had a few months left at school, why be with someone only to have to leave & break their heart later on? My favourite scene in the last episode is when Shizuma disrupts the Etoile competition, & screams "NAGISA! AISHITERU YO!!"] Awesomeness, hehe, sends chills up my spine just thinking about it. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
I didn't word that as well as I should have. I felt that Shizuma did care very deeply for Nagisa. It started out as just a spoiler[reflection of her past feelings for Kaori, because the two look so much alike,] but it deepened and became very real.

Although Shizuma and Miyuki were spoiler[graduating, I see Shizuma writing Nagisa letters and arranging visits during the holidays.] Seriously, with a mind like Shizuma's, I severely doubt she was going to let a little problem like spoiler[leaving the academy] slow things down.

EVA fiend wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

*lmao* That is so true. On another forum I'm a member, there was a debate on who would win in a face off between spoiler[Chikane & Shizuma. Chikane won after molesting Shizuma into submission. Razz]
I'm going to have to say that the people watching that match would be the real winners. Anime catgrin

While I doubt anyone would ever think of doing it, I wished they'd do a another season with a focus on Chikaru. She stole a lot of scenes and was such a good friend to everyone. You could see that she rooting for Shizuma to win Nagisa's heart too.

I hope someone licenses Strawberry Panic!, especially since the light novels and the manga are coming over here. (Thank you Seven Seas!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2