• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Seven Deadly Sins Manga's 1st of 3 Planned Arcs Ends

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I wonder how far the 2nd arc will last. I doubt the anime will reach that far though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yappers4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Hmm, I wonder how far the 2nd arc will last. I doubt the anime will reach that far though.

Has the anime been following the manga so far or is it doing its own anime original thing?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote
10 million sales in 3 years over 12 volumes isn't a small feat. Very Happy
Since the author said in the interview that he originally planned to end the series after about 20 volumes, I'm guessing that the 2 arcs weren't going to be as long as the first one (key word: originally).
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:27 am Reply with quote
30 to 40 volumes would be a good length for the series. I hope we can move away from the Naruto/Bleach/Fairy Tail method of trying to make every shounen manga keep running far longer than necessary.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing 2nd arc will be 100 chapters, and the 3rd arc will be another 100.

CallumKeyblade wrote:
30 to 40 volumes would be a good length for the series. I hope we can move away from the Naruto/Bleach/Fairy Tail method of trying to make every shounen manga keep running far longer than necessary.

All hail One Piece for not fitting that description.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

Has the anime been following the manga so far or is it doing its own anime original thing?

It's been following the manga close enough. Some random minor details here and there change, but the main events, scenes, and most of the flow are all still intact.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
I haven't gotten round to reading the manga yet (I have bought all the volumes that are available), but I am absolutely loving the anime.
Drunk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:53 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused. The artice says that the second arc WILL begin in chapter 101, but the latest chapter is already chapter 110. Typo?
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:27 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
I'm guessing 2nd arc will be 100 chapters, and the 3rd arc will be another 100.

CallumKeyblade wrote:

All hail One Piece for not fitting that description.

No he does. One Piece can wrap up whenever it wants. Oda keeps adding characters to the story, making it way longer than it needs to be.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
No he does. One Piece can wrap up whenever it wants. Oda keeps adding characters to the story, making it way longer than it needs to be.

If you think Oda is making One Piece longer than necessary then you either a) don't read/watch the series or b) do not like the series.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:33 am Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
grooven wrote:

If you think Oda is making One Piece longer than necessary then you either a) don't read/watch the series or b) do not like the series.

Or its that I think that One Piece didn't/doesn't have to be that long of a series?

I'm a fan of that series, but even I will admit that the story was extended for financial purposes (and who can really blame Oda and Jump for that?)

In the beginning, Oda said that One Piece would only stay around for about 5 or so years. Which means that he could have easily molded the story then to drift towards an ending. But he purposely didn't.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:02 am Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:
EighteenSky wrote:
grooven wrote:

Or its that I think that One Piece didn't/doesn't have to be that long of a series?

I'm a fan of that series, but even I will admit that the story was extended for financial purposes (and who can really blame Oda and Jump for that?)

In the beginning, Oda said that One Piece would only stay around for about 5 or so years. Which means that he could have easily molded the story then to drift towards an ending. But he purposely didn't.

Here are Oda interviews about that situation:

"If I wrote everything in my mind, it would take about 20 years to finish ONE PIECE." Manga Omo! (2002)

"When I intend to finish an arc within 30 chapters, it ends up 90 chapters being necessary." Playboy (2007)

"I'd like to finish ONE PIECE as soon as possible." SWITCH (2009)

"ONE PIECE is 50% done." ONE PIECE Pia (2009), Sound Recording(2012)

"I was going to finish ONE PIECE within 5 years.
Every crew joins before Grand Line. (1- 1.5 year)
Great adventure (3 years)
Final arc (1 year)" Sound Recording (2012)

"If I drew everything in my mind in Marineford arc, at least 50 pages would be necessary for each chapter." ONE PIECE Pia (2009)

"ONE PIECE is at least 60% done. From now on, I'd like to restrain my desire to write many things. If I write what I want to, ONE PIECE will never come to an end." ONE PIECE newspaper Vol.4 (2012)

Editor Onishi: ONE PIECE is 60-70% done and it will probably finish within 10 years.
Interview with editor Onishi at ONE PIECE exhibition in Taiwan (2014)

As you can see East Blue(getting every crew) took 2 years instead of 1-1.5. And Oda at first wanted to extend East Blue to had all the crew in East Blue. Fortunately his Editor advised him to enter the Grand Line already.
Alabasta saga(from Laboon to end of Alabasta) took 3 years. That was the initial time Oda wanted to make Grand Line adventures. It ended up being just the 1st big adventure.
Final Arc was planned for 1 year. Certainly he couldn't make that in only one 1 year, 48 chapters.

Oda estimates are really bad. Like he said, he thinks something will take 30 chapters and end up being 90! Adding to that he is super creative and comes with more and more stuff to the story is first estimates are really not indicative of the longevity One Piece should be.
Oda even says that he has to restrain himself or the story will never end, Anime hyper.

Last edited by bigivel on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Zelgadis_Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:
EighteenSky wrote:
grooven wrote:

But, Oda did say One Piece is his last series and he'll end it when he ran out of ideas. I think it financial and Oda want to get all of his idea out LOL!
Bingal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
As much as I like One Piece, there are definitely things that could easily have been omitted. The difference I think between One Piece and the other 3 that are mentioned (well, technically speaking only two since Naruto already ended) is the lack of ideas, especially Bleach.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
Now if only the anime could be dubbed here. Rumor was that Netflix has the rights (and it would be in the same category of Netflix originals as House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, and Knights of Sidonia) but no one has confirmed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2