• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Pain in the Neck

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I can't even fathom why anyone would question the ethics of watching Hulu outside the US. I mean, we're not talking about pirating their content here. You're still using their system. They're still reaping all the benefits of the viewing that they would if a US viewer was watching. So what on earth is the problem? If they're gonna region lock, fine. But If you can get around it, great. Go right ahead.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
because if you watch american hulu from canada, you are not paying commercial revenue to the Canadian company that has licensed the content.

There is a similar copyright law case in court recently about some guy selling THAI books that were the same as the books being sold at american colleges in america.

both books are legit but the thai books were being sold at half price and were supposed to be only used in thailand.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
To be honest, I can't even fathom why anyone would question the ethics of watching Hulu outside the US. I mean, we're not talking about pirating their content here. You're still using their system. They're still reaping all the benefits of the viewing that they would if a US viewer was watching. So what on earth is the problem? If they're gonna region lock, fine. But If you can get around it, great. Go right ahead.
Many of the commercials are for US specific products, so a non-US view of a commercial does not have the same value as a US view, since the non-US viewer may not be able to purchase the goods or services advertised to them, while Hulu/advertiser (not entirely sure who is doing the paying) is still obligated to pay the content uploader for a dead-end.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
because if you watch american hulu from canada, you are not paying commercial revenue to the Canadian company that has licensed the content.

That's not normally an issue for most anime content, since the US licensee for anime is in almost all cases has a North American license. If its Funimation content, a Canadian can just watch on Funimation.com ... the issue is more Neon Alley, which is now US-only given its Hulu underpinning, but even there, it seems likely that all of the content is licensed for North America, and its just Hulu's restriction to the US that is the obstacle.

In terms of contractual relationship, it is violating Hulu's terms & conditions, so it makes you a T&C cheat.

In legal terms, doing the equivalent in the US seems likely to be illegal, since under the US Digital Millenium Copyright Act it is illegal except in some narrowly prescribed cases to circumvent DRM, and engaging in fraud to satisfy a DRM procedure seems likely to count as circumvention ...
... but by definition the person engaged in the activity is outside of the US, so the legal question is what is the position of Canadian law regarding circumventing DRM, and I don't have any firm information about that.

In ethical terms, many US advertisers are also engaged in the Canadian market, so for the most part it would seem to be no harm, no foul, when it comes to watching anime licensed for North America on Hulu. I guess if someone was feeling guilty on that score, they would give the "does not apply to me" for ads that are directed to a US-only market.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
configspace wrote:
Have you see this?
Sony, Panasonic Announce Archival Disc Standard Coming in 2015
They plan to start at 300GB per disc and go up to 1TB

It's nice to see things move forward. What about storing material on large SSDs in the future, once they can hold more material and are cheaper?

One big problem with SSDs or NAND memory in general is that they have very limited data retention life spans once power is removed.

SSDs which are getting bigger quickly, are very compact, resists shock better, are very reliable now... but they all need occasional power. They're not meant for archival or shelving. Most consumer drives are rated for 1 year, no-power data retention! Some special SSDs meant for servers are actually worse. And data retention also gets worse as they shrink the components to increase capacity. It used to be 3 to 4 years a couple years ago.

Quote:
And everything wrong with discs is fixed if you have a digital file. Now it's just the pure video with no menus, previews, FBI warnings, or other bullshit.

True, but you can use DVD/BD discs for pure data files too.
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
Just throwing this out there: when I accidentally found RWBY I was convinced it was just REALLY GOOD OC MMD (Of course I just found the ad with only music and fighting) >......>
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Man, I got into so many of these internet flames about shows in the past few years that I realized most of the people posting comments on those forum sites have no idea what they are talking. Also, most of them don't ever give a crap about other people's responses. As soon as you write a near essay length reply naming the flaws of their favorite shows, they sort of stop "thinking" and just write whatever that comes to their minds that helps them feel better. And you have to get real, as Justin said, that most people on the internet posting these sorts of comments are between 14-20 years old. People who can make intelligent and considerate comments are rare.

I honestly hope whatever forums that had a flame war over RWBY was an intelligent one, which is probably not the case. My best strategy when I encounter such a discussion is to avoid it and laugh at them for their exaggerated reactions to the puny webseries that was by no means the crown of creation in anime. There is no need to ask whether RWBY is truly a good anime.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
Man, that call up for jury duty seems rough...sitting around a whole week?

I wasted a day when called in for Jury Duty a few years ago. I took stuff to read and wasn't called in until it was the last group of the day. Surprisingly, I didn't get that much reading done...

Oh, and I remember the days of "be kind, rewind" when renting...

And, I kind of wish more older/completed titles would get anime. Honestly, many open ended anime that are based on unfinished source material tend to fall flat for me. There are some that reach a point which isn't the end in the source, but they end it there for the anime adaption, where it feels like a good way to wrap it up. Recent examples are Kokoro Connect and Kawai Complex.

I feel like series, based on unfinished source materials, that have good ending points selected in their anime adaption are few and far between. Then there are some that go for the anime only ending, which don't always tend to be that good (looking at you, Kanojo ga Flag). So, I would like to see older completed series being animated, as that'd (more than likely) give an ending with closure.

If there was one major complaint I'd have about being an anime fan, it'd be all the open endings (insert Buzz and Woody image here). I mean, while Magical Warfare wasn't that good...I enjoyed aspects of it enough...but that ending?!?!?! Worst open ending I've ever seen! Laughing
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
As soon as you write a near essay length reply naming the flaws of their favorite shows, they sort of stop "thinking" and just write whatever that comes to their minds that helps them feel better. And you have to get real, as Justin said, that most people on the internet posting these sorts of comments are between 14-20 years old. People who can make intelligent and considerate comments are rare.
Even people outside that age range don't want to read your lengthy "essay" on the Internet.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
There are some that reach a point which isn't the end in the source, but they end it there for the anime adaption, where it feels like a good way to wrap it up. Recent examples are Kokoro Connect and Kawai Complex.

Yeah, the best hope for Kawaii Complex would be if it boosted the sales of the original material as intended, so they make another single broadcast season series in another year's time.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I heard that George Wada, the producer for Attack on Titan, not the publisher Kodansha, proposed the production of an anime series. Do you know if there is any truth to that?
Hardgear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting on a Franken Fran anime. Any day now....
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Many of the commercials are for US specific products, so a non-US view of a commercial does not have the same value as a US view, since the non-US viewer may not be able to purchase the goods or services advertised to them, while Hulu/advertiser (not entirely sure who is doing the paying) is still obligated to pay the content uploader for a dead-end.

Well, I'm automatically a dead-end on the ad revenue because I don't want to see it so I mute the audio and look at a different page.

Even when I do see ads anywhere, I automatically don't care about them because they annoy me, and I know I'm an atypical enough dude that everything that's being advertised isn't really for me.

Tankfully adblock helps a lot on the internet Smile
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
SSDs which are getting bigger quickly, are very compact, resists shock better, are very reliable now... but they all need occasional power. They're not meant for archival or shelving. Most consumer drives are rated for 1 year, no-power data retention! Some special SSDs meant for servers are actually worse. And data retention also gets worse as they shrink the components to increase capacity. It used to be 3 to 4 years a couple years ago.
To expound: flash drives store data using electron traps and electrons like to leak, much the same as magnetic fields like to fade.

On the other hand, CD-R, DVD-R and BD-R all rely on permanent physical changes to store data; Verbatim already offers DVD-Rs design to last up to a century, which is something I don't think any rewritable media can aspire to(Sonysonic's press release doesn't say what time frame they're designing for, but I'd imagine it's around the same, if not longer).

Of course, if we really got super serious about digital preservation, replicated discs with carefully picked materials could last far longer, since the data's flat-out stamped on.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
My counter: Quantity ≠ Quality.

Considering all the bizarre statements I've either read or written online, I haven't a shadow of a doubt there are people out there who argue that higher sales figures signify greater merit from an intellectual or artistic perspective. However, despite encountering the Popularity ≠ Quality cliche countless times, I have yet to witness a single instance of it being used to refute that position.

In every case I've observed, one or more people are evaluating the success of a commercial product from a business standpoint, when suddenly someone comes along insisting that particular item absolutely must be assessed exclusively by fine art criteria. Hopefully another equation might clear up the misunderstanding: Quality as Art ≠ Quality as Merchandise, or perhaps Commercially Good ≠ Artistically Good.

Melanchthon wrote:
There's plenty of really bad anime out there that I enjoy watching.

So with every single one, you're simply fascinated or amused by the shocking display of gross incompetence? If you do find something enjoyable for any other reason, then it has to be good to some degree. Choosing to describing it as "really bad" in spite of that isn't openness about its shortcomings, it's an attempt to either preemptively deflect insults regarding your personal tastes, or convince people your standards are higher than they actually are.

It takes so little effort to sound refined by praising Citizen Kane while castigating Transformers that one can easily pull it off without even bothering to watch either one. What's truly impressive is the ability to independently analyze and articulate why something is "fun" yet "really bad," weigh any strengths against the weaknesses, and decide on your own terms where you believe it belongs on the continuum ranging from utter abominations to bona fide masterpieces. Having your own bad tastes requires more sophistication and provides greater gratification than having good ones prescribed to you by someone else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5