• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Pain in the Neck

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Color2413

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
To pick a nit -- Betacam is really not descended from Betamax. Betamax is a consumer system that uses a so-called "color-under" encoding system, a system that was only ever used in broadcasting with 3/4" U-Matic, a format that Sony also invented. (Quality-wise, U-Matic was always considered a bottom-of-the-barrel format by TV broadcasters and was mainly used for portable newsgathering.)

Betacam, on the other hand, is a high-quality analog component format, which records and plays all three color components separately. Its closest professional relative is Panasonic's MII format. In many respects, these formats improved upon 1" Type-C helical scan recorders (at one time the standard in TV broadcasting) because they don't require the video to be encoded in composite NSTC or PAL format, which makes things like computer graphics a whole lot easier to implement with high quality.

As for archival formats, this:
http://www.mdisc.com/what-is-mdisc/
is interesting. I use the DVD version, and will probably test the 25GB Blu-ray version soon.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
There are some that reach a point which isn't the end in the source, but they end it there for the anime adaption, where it feels like a good way to wrap it up. Recent examples are Kokoro Connect and Kawai Complex.

Yeah, the best hope for Kawaii Complex would be if it boosted the sales of the original material as intended, so they make another single broadcast season series in another year's time.

I would love to see more. But, it is one of a select few series from recent seasons where, for me, this one season is enough and I love the ending. I'll be buying the anime as soon as it is up for pre-order, and I've listed the manga series for future reference...in the chance someone brings it over. Laughing
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote
One reason older manga get anime series is.... pachinko.

Lately pachinko machines have been branching out into older anime titles (Nadesico, Slayers, even Haruhi...), and those pachinko companies pay some _serious_ cash for the rights to the shows.
The royalties on a pachinko machine can almost pay for an entire season of anime, it's a serious deal.
Older manga properties might have key demographic fanbases that make back the money from the anime through royalty/licensing deals in non-traditional markets like pachinko or other goods than the original work (I think Kaiji and the like are another good example).
I'd even put the anime adaptations of Jojo in that category since Jojo as a franchise is so diversified. Lots of bluray sales for that are just gravy on the cake.
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Haruhi is an older anime now?
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Haruhi is an older anime now?

Yup, here's your cane. Welcome to the club.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Lately pachinko machines have been branching out into older anime titles (Nadesico, Slayers, even Haruhi...), and those pachinko companies pay some _serious_ cash for the rights to the shows.
The royalties on a pachinko machine can almost pay for an entire season of anime, it's a serious deal.
Older manga properties might have key demographic fanbases that make back the money from the anime through royalty/licensing deals in non-traditional markets like pachinko or other goods than the original work (I think Kaiji and the like are another good example).
I'd even put the anime adaptations of Jojo in that category since Jojo as a franchise is so diversified. Lots of bluray sales for that are just gravy on the cake.

Yeah, that's a big reason, too. I'm 100% positive that the only reason Seasons 3 & 4 of Ring ni Kakero 1 were made, four years after Season 2, was because the pachislot machines were apparently a massive hit. Two of the three DVDs for Shadow/Season 3 had PVs for a Taiyo-Elec pachislot machine as extras, and Sekai Taikai-hen/Season 4 even had Sammy listed as co-producer (alongside Toei). Then, in 2012, Sammy made a new pachslot machine that actually adapted part of the story arc that happens after Season 4, but no new seasons of RnK1 have ever been announced.

Pachinko & pachislot are also generally the only ways old properties even get new animation, even if it's not a new series. Ashita no Joe, Rokudenashi BLUES, the original Saint Seiya, B't X, and tons of other properties all have new animation made for them in the past few years, but unless you look for YouTube or NicoNico videos of these pachislot/pachinko machines you'll never see them.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
That's really interesting to find out about panchiko and other uses of older manga/anime titles.

It makes me wonder about titles like Jormungand. The manga started in 2006 and ended some time ago after 11 volumes. Yet two seasons or cours of anime was made years later that covered the entire manga, which is pretty refreshing. And since the anime covers the manga from beginning to end faithfully, there's little incentive to buy the manga. The anime artwork is also better (similar designs, but a whole lot more consistent; the mangaka is not bad, but not a great artist either)
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd argue that RWBY gets huge internet love despite the aping of better shows and a plot that's triter than trite, by my standards anyway. In the since its release, I've seen nothing but long-winded defenses of why it's actually a fantastic amazing show and how anybody who likes it is objectively wrong.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Color2413 wrote:
To pick a nit...

You're not even picking nits, you're trying to "well-actually" me by adding data I didn't bother with that doesn't refute what I wrote even slightly. Rolling Eyes
Also, 25 GB is utterly useless for the uncompressed/barely compressed video required for professional use.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Well-actually... The latest "state of the art" video archiving systems sell for extreme prices by specialized vendors mostly use tape for their mass storage. Specifically LTO-6 tape arrays in storage servers.

You can get these in 100s of TB configurations (each LTO-6 tape stores 2.5 TB), although it'll cost you... 100K or more I would bet (honestly I have no idea).

So yeah there's plenty of room on a 2.5 TB tape for around 71 episodes of HD anime in broadcast quality prores. But the drives would cost you 1000s, and each tape costs about as much as a 2 TB hard disk anyway.

Honestly the cheapest option to archive 100 TBs of videos "safely" at this point in time is probably using something like Amazon glacier. There's a serious "gap" in cost effecieny for anything beyond ~ 20 TB but less than like, a petabyte (i.e. an amount that would require a full server farm). Once you get more data than 20 TB you want to keep safe you're better off paying someone to keep it for you.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Well-actually... The latest "state of the art" video archiving systems sell for extreme prices by specialized vendors mostly use tape for their mass storage. Specifically LTO-6 tape arrays in storage servers.

You can get these in 100s of TB configurations (each LTO-6 tape stores 2.5 TB), although it'll cost you... 100K or more I would bet (honestly I have no idea).
Huh, didn't think LTO was used for much outside backup applications. Really though, those tapes aren't designed for constant reads, so those are going to be best for archiving data. I suppose they could work in place of something like HDCAM, but I doubt a lot of video processing companies are going to want to replace those expensive tape decks.
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Are you afraid to enjoy something that's "bad"?

No, what they're saying is that by default if they're watching something they enjoy, it's something that's "good" to them. Y'know, subjectivity and all. Very few things are actually objectively "good" or "bad."
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:56 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Huh, didn't think LTO was used for much outside backup applications. Really though, those tapes aren't designed for constant reads, so those are going to be best for archiving data. I suppose they could work in place of something like HDCAM, but I doubt a lot of video processing companies are going to want to replace those expensive tape decks.

That's why I said "video _archive_". These systems use the tapes as long term archive and have hard drive arrays for anything that needs to be accessed. So yeah, they are just being used as specialized backup, and presumably the underlying data are just video capture files.
Quasar_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:06 am Reply with quote
RHorsman wrote:
On streaming from a blocked region: does the ethical equation change if you pay for it? For example, a number of Canadian Netflix subscribers use VPNs and other tools to get access to the much larger US catalog. Is that particularly ethically shaky? Both Netflix and some holder of the streaming rights are still getting paid, though maybe not the Canadian rights holder.

If you go down that road its not much different to importing media from cheaper foreign retailers versus higher priced local versions.

And it does remind me of here in Australia where lots of folks evade geolocks and pay for netflix as its not available here. Creators are getting paid, so I'd be quite comfortable ethically doing so.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

I had no idea pachinko was something so big.

Could Haruhi have a new series in the works? Laughing

Will just have to make do with Nagato Yuki-chan I guess...oh, how am I kidding, I love the Yuki-chan manga. Very Happy

Back to pachinko, I never knew there was series money behind those machines. I've seen them, only briefly, and they looked like pinball machines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5