• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Shining Wings

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For those of you who were worried that this story was going to go in the same direction as Bunny Drop, be at ease – Haru is not interested in raising a wife.

Huge Bunny Drop spoiler alert below...

spoiler[To be fair, I never got the impression that Daikichi raised Rin with the intention that she would be his wife. He was more or less "forced" to marry her. Or at the very least, it was not what he wanted when he adopted and raised her.

I hate to say it, because I don't want the story to go the Bunny Drop route, but the author is definitely setting things up for there to be a some sort of romantic confrontation between Haru and Kururi. There are many relationship parallels between the two series. At the beginning of Bunny Drop it seems like Daikichi will end up with single working mother Yukari and Rin will end up with Kouki, a childhood friend. Unfortunately, (at least for me), that didn't happen.

In Taksugi-san's Bento we more or less have the same dynamic. Haru is interested in single-working mother Kosaka and a "childhood friend" (okay teenage boy) is interested in Kururi. Sounds safe, but it's clearly stated that Kururi has romantic feelings toward Haru. I don't know how the story will play out, but I wouldn't rule out the Bunny Drop route just yet. ]

That said, I really am enjoying the series and would be happy to see it get a lot of support. I love how two kind, but shy characters are able to communicate their desire to become a family with the simple act of preparing food for one another. It's very sweet.
corinthian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Berry Dynamite sounds awesome. It's a Shueisha title, so hopefully Viz will publish it at some point. It's got a good pedigree, after all.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
*Sigh*

If only Viz would release more than one volume of Kaze Hikaru a year.

I'm still on the fence about buying Seven Deadly Sins. I really enjoyed what I've read of it, but I'm just worried it will turn into some 50+ volumes series that goes downhill.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
^Yes, that is also my worry when it comes to Seven Deadly Sins.

I like what I've seen and the reviews I've read on it have been good. I think it'll just be a series I'll watch from a distance for awhile. May jump into it, even while it is ongoing, but I think I'll wait a bit longer.

As for Takasugi-san's Obento, the mention of a Bunny Drop-like scenario has me staying away. I was close to buying the first volume when it was up for pre-order, but decided to stay away because I wanted to see some reviews first.

Maybe I'll check it out once it wraps up, depending on if it steers clear of the Bunny Drop route.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

As for Takasugi-san's Obento, the mention of a Bunny Drop-like scenario has me staying away. I was close to buying the first volume when it was up for pre-order, but decided to stay away because I wanted to see some reviews first.

Bunny Drop sure has scarred a lot of us.

I hate to dissuade readers against the manga, since right now Haru clearly has no romantic interests in his new daughter and the story is very gentle and sweet. If you have any interest in Japanese cooking, it's a great read. If I had never read Bunny Drop I probably wouldn't be nervous. I know my wariness is rather unfair because the authors are complete different. There is a chance that Kururi's crush will be replaced with pure, familial love. (And not the Oreimo or Bunny Drop kind.)
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Chiming in to the Kaze Hikaru love. It's my favorite manga and I wish it would be released faster.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
I died a little inside when Viz started releasing Kaze Hikaru only once a year but at least the didn't cancel it! Thank f***. (Please never do this, Viz. Also please license 7SEEDS. Ahahahaha... ha.)

So. Good.

...Is it bad that I still kind of like Hakuoki, though? The first two seasons at least. Completely different portrayals, obviously. I still think Hakuoki is one of the better otome adaptions out there.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote
I have to admit, my first thought on seeing Kaze Hikaru's review was that thing lasted 22 volumes? I found it boring as hell and it was the first series I stopped reading back when Shoujo Beat was around. I definitely did not expect it to still be being published today, when most of the other SB titles have wrapped up.

Berry Dynamite sounds pretty awesome though. I could probably manage my way through the French to read it, if an English license doesn't happen.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

More than I ever thought it would. I mean, I knew the ending and I still felt like I needed a hot shower with bleach when I finished it. Confused You do make good comparison points in your first post, however...I just hope Takasugi-san doesn't go there!

Graceful Nanami wrote:
...Is it bad that I still kind of like Hakuoki, though? The first two seasons at least. Completely different portrayals, obviously. I still think Hakuoki is one of the better otome adaptions out there.

I like Hakuoki too. Smile I probably shouldn't have made the comparison, because they really are totally different takes on the "cute girl infiltrates the Shinsengumi" plot. Wait, why is that a plot used in more than one place? Is history hiding something from us?? Laughing

marie-antoinette wrote:
I have to admit, my first thought on seeing Kaze Hikaru's review was that thing lasted 22 volumes?

It's up to 34 volumes in Japan. My youngest sister thinks it's boring too, so you're not alone.

The vocab in Berry Dynamite wasn't too complex, so you should be able to read it pretty comfortably. It's worth it!
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
Fresh fruit season! I've been picking all summer. (bragging because this is one thing my state is awesome for.) Blue- and raspberries most recently, cherries, strawberries before that. I don't think we have as many blackberries around here, though. The first (and so far only) time I picked them was on a visit to northern California, and yes there were scratches and snags, and yes I'd do it again.

The webcomic (concept) sounds so interesting, the way Rebecca wrote about it!! I'm sad it doesn't fulfill that potential. I wonder what kind of editorial guidance webtoons have—this could be a case for why a good story editor is important.

marie-antoinette wrote:
I have to admit, my first thought on seeing Kaze Hikaru's review was that thing lasted 22 volumes? I found it boring as hell and it was the first series I stopped reading back when Shoujo Beat was around. I definitely did not expect it to still be being published today, when most of the other SB titles have wrapped up.

Nooooo man, it's so good!! You gotta give it another chance! Maybe reading it in book form would be more satisfying than chapter by chapter? (I usually find, when I pick up a volume to reread, that it turns into a giant binge marathon because I can't stop reading even if it's 4am and I can barely keep my eyes open, and I remember this or that event that was sooo well written... I have to plan my rereads with that in mind :) ) It's actually up to 35 volumes and still running in Japan, so at the current rate I will be in my 40s (if not 50s) by the time Viz finishes the series. Worth it.

But they did switch one of their other yearly-released series (Excel Saga) so I believe it can be done with Kaze Hikaru too!! It just needs to find its way into the hands and hearts of more readers... In the meantime I've bought all the remaining volumes in Japanese so I'd have some idea what's going on. It is fun reading that way because the (old?) Kyoto-dialect several characters use is more obvious, and I think it sounds quite lovely.
eragon2890

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
what the heck is bunny drop and what was wrong with it? I only have one friend who has read it and watched the anime and he loves it and is a big fan, I dont know it myself tough, what's strange about it? If it likes oreimo which someone above compares it with, then I will have to read it, since I absolutely loved oreimo, Kirino and Kousuke were too cute! Very Happy (just like Rin and Len from vocaloid, that's also adorable and 100% pure win-cest Anime hyper)
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

Yes, finding out the ending really killed it for me. I had to look at the review here, seeing as it was the last volume of the manga that was being reviewed. The temptation was too great, as I had heard about the "controversial" ending to it all.

Having just started watching the anime around the time...I dropped it.

I know, the anime only deals with her as a child, ending before the flash forward. But, I couldn't watch anymore of the anime knowing how the manga ended up.

eragon2890 wrote:
what the heck is bunny drop and what was wrong with it?

Seeing as you're a fan of how OreImo ended, you may not have any problem with how Bunny Drop went.

animenewsnetwork.com/review/bunny-drop/gn-9
eragon2890

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
thank you! ^^ I won't read that before reading the manga off course as that would spoil it for me, but it's obviously something (w)incest then (^__^)

I thought the ending of oreimo could have been better executed, but the thing between Kirino and Kousuke was just soooo sweet, and in general the series was awesome <3 I have a poster of Kirino and Kousuke hanging above my computer monitor <3
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Blackberry picking! There are lots of blackberry bushes in upstate New York, and I spent a lot of time picking them as a kid even though: A. My hands would get scraped from all the thorns and B. I don't really like blackberries. We used to give 'em to someone who would bake a pie or something with it. Good times! (And what's wrong with long skirts and sun hats?)

And hey, I like some types of Blackberries
...(eyes old, reliable phone Laughing)

I've had my eye on Kaze Hikaru for a long time, but I have some concerns about it. When I tried to read it way back when in the print issues of Shojo Beat, I found it boring and hard to follow. I figured it was because I was coming in at the middle of the story, and I'm not all that familiar with Japanese history and the Shisengumi. I know a little more than I did then (thanks Gintama), but it still seems to have a high point of entry.

Another issue I have in general with historical fiction is that unless the author finds a good niche for her or his fictional characters, or does some far fetched alternative history, you can kind of just look up what happens to the characters, and it usually aint a pretty or a happy ending. Are the MC's love interests all real historical personages?

That netcomic has a really interesting premise. Oh, well.

I love Aya Nakahara! Love*Com was the funniest shojo manga this side of Ai Morinaga's My Heavenly Hockey Club (which went out of print and unfinishable when Del Rey left the scene). I'm so frustrated with Viz because they have the most potential licenses and they seem so reluctant to let anyone else publish "their" stuff, even if they don't publish it themselves. That is how it looks like to us ignorant fans, anyway. Publish it or let someone else (Vertical, Yen, etc) do it!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I've had my eye on Kaze Hikaru for a long time, but I have some concerns about it. When I tried to read it way back when in the print issues of Shojo Beat, I found it boring and hard to follow. I figured it was because I was coming in at the middle of the story, and I'm not all that familiar with Japanese history and the Shisengumi. I know a little more than I did then (thanks Gintama), but it still seems to have a high point of entry.

Another issue I have in general with historical fiction is that unless the author finds a good niche for her or his fictional characters, or does some far fetched alternative history, you can kind of just look up what happens to the characters, and it usually aint a pretty or a happy ending. Are the MC's love interests all real historical personages?

I hadn't really thought about it, but you're right - it could have a high point of entry. I did know who everyone was going in, as well as most of the major events (thanks, my early Kenshin obsession and compulsive research!), so that really could have made the difference.

Yes, both of the MC's love interests are real people - spoiler[Okita Souji died of consumption after the Shinsengumi had disbanded and Saito Hajime survived and went on to become a police officer. Personally, I'm hoping for her to end up short-term with Souji and then marry Saito later - he did have a wife, and name changing wasn't that uncommon, so Sei could turn out to be Tokio, right? RIGHT??!] But yeah - most of history isn't pretty.

Hey, I love wearing long skirts (hats, not so much) - I just ripped a few too many on the blackberry brambles. Laughing They're barbed and hard to remove once they hook you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2