• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blade & Soul

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Glad to read most everyone shares how I felt about this one too. I dropped it after episode 7 I think and then picked it up again just to finish it. And suddenly it was so much better.

After finishing it I better understand the first half which was really only a setup for the second half. But that first set of episodes could have been cut in half and expand the second part - that would have made it more enjoyable.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
I watched this series in its entirety and honestly, it was one of the worst shows I have ever seen.

The biggest problem I found was that I kept on getting the feeling that the series was trying to be deep or insightful, but it in fact felt like Jaden Smith was writing the more "philosophical lines". The conclusion also felt really rushed, with so many important details being left out (why was spoiler[Jin brought back? Why was she killed again? What is the impurity and why was Alka immune?] etc etc).

I liked the concept of a silent protagonist, but the problem with how it was executed is that Alka never really seemed like she had an opinion of her own. She was always just going along with other people's ideas, not being given any way to even show her disapproval. Then, when she finally started to show emotion, she had the mentality of a baby.

The character designs felt like Gonzo were trying to go for a fanservice show, but then when you get around to watch it...it's like they wanted to do a Queen's Blade, but didn't have the balls to even be a quarter as risqué.

(Also, please tell me that Karen spoiler[had her husband's dick in that box]).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2