• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Set to Produce Lament of the Lamb Live-Action Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HanatoYume

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Nobody at Tokyopop seems eager to mention that a live-action version of Hitsuji no Uta already exists.

I don't see why they couldn't just subtitle this instead of making a whole new movie.

I like the manga series, but I have no faith whatsoever in Tokyopop to do a project like this, Viz? Maybe. Tokyopop? Not at all
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
It's a lie. In fact, it's all a lie. America-produced live-action films of Japanese manga and anime don't exist.

Who's keeping count of the number of projects? Seriously, how can they keep adding projects when they haven't even had a test run of one to see if it'd be successful in the least at all? I say make the first and wait it out before starting other projects because I sort of doubt (or at the least, I'm uncertain) that these films will be really successful at all.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Hey, you gotta give them credit for test out new ground.

Now I'm very far from the biggest fan of Tokyopop's marketing campaign and media blitz, but I do like their books. Lament of the Lamb is a series I really liked. It was very different from many manga out there. It was actually a teenage drama and lacked much action.

First of all, for people who think this is "b-grade horror", you either didn't read the book or didn't understand it at all. The thing that amazed me about the book is they took a horror topic like vampirism and turned it into a family drama. This is Terms of Endearment, not Interview with the Vampire.

As for the incest overtones, why take them out? It makes the book unique and adds an interesting level of discomfort. In addition of the tension of the disease, you have that adding tention. Not that there was quite full incest, but they danced around it, again, adding tention to the book.

Swissman wrote:
Nobody at Tokyopop seems eager to mention that a live-action version of Hitsuji no Uta already exists.

I know. I had to laugh at their complete avoidance of the topic in their shiny little press release. I'd be interested in seeing that too, even in addition to a US remake. There's also an anime, but it was very slow. And considering some of the slow movies and series I like, that's saying something.

Zac wrote:
I'll look forward to seeing the preview for this before watching the live-action Samurai Girl: Real Bout High School starring Melissa Joan Hart that they announced 2 years ago and also will not happen.

Oh wow. I totally forgot about that. Now I know project in Hollywood just grind to a hault or evaporate all the time, but at the same time Tokyopop does tend to hype things up and certainly make things sound like a certainty.

Heh. I've been following comic book movies for years. Hell, comics2film.com has been my homepage for years, even now help mod the forums. Following movies from page to screen has been a long time hobby. So belive me when I say I've seen dozens upon dozens of promising (and many not so promiscing) comic book adaptations whither and vanish. I don't see manga Hollywood adaptations fairing any better.

Though of course, we do get out gems (and our duds) We get Sin City and Batman Begins and Hellboy, though we also get Catwoman, 'LXG', and Constantine (the later has been debated, but compared to the book and original character, it stinks). Here's hoping manga adaptations stick to the former and out of the latter there.

Of course, there have been plenty of manga adaptations in Japan, nevermind how many turn into anime series. I don't see why Hollywood is that big of a deal when it comes manga adaptations. Japan is just fine with making their own.

Though I will say that Evangelion movie is such an odd predicament that it mgiht actually happen and, by jove, it might actually be good or even amazing. Though right now it's still way too soon to tell where it's going. It's just starting from a very interesting place.
Vikio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
"We'll script the story in Hollywood, attach a Japanese director, cast in the West, and shoot in Eastern Europe."

Uh-huh. That's soo happening. Rolling Eyes lol, I liked the "Australia feels left out" comment on this one. Actually, I agree with all you guys. This seems like a press release for the sake of press. Let's forget about this and think about projects with some reality behind them.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:34 am Reply with quote
The day I see this happening is the day ADV produces a workable trailer of NGE and Toei decides to stop being whinny brats and give Battle Royale a proper release in the states.

That being said, am I getting the impression that this project and some recent properties they got seems to be targeting moody emo goths?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Oh wow. I totally forgot about that. Now I know project in Hollywood just grind to a hault or evaporate all the time, but at the same time Tokyopop does tend to hype things up and certainly make things sound like a certainty.

That isn't just Tokyopop; every time a press release comes out regarding a film that's being "announced" but isn't actually in production, they all sound like this. It's just how it's done.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The Xenos wrote:

That isn't just Tokyopop; every time a press release comes out regarding a film that's being "announced" but isn't actually in production, they all sound like this. It's just how it's done.

I think this might be very close to what they call "floating a trial balloon" It's common in politics, car shows, etc. Of course I guess I never saw Tokyopop for more than a manga printer. Might be interesting to see how this "floats"
jxsilicon9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Did they ever make this?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I doubt it. Tokyopop pretty much faded into nothingness for quite awhile, though it seems Hetalia is pumping some green into them now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2