• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Comic Artist and His Assistants Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Sachiko2010 wrote:

So you're saying this show is social satire on the level of Blazing Saddles or The Producers?

Everything that's trying to get a laugh is created equal?

So you argue that the following is social satire?

"Hedley Lamarr: Qualifications?
Applicant: Rape, murder, arson, and rape.
Hedley Lamarr: You said rape twice.
Applicant: I like rape.
Taggart:[Chuckles] He'll do.
Hedley Lamarr: Charming. Sign right here."

I think it is definitely hilarious, but whether it achieves what you mean by "social satire," who knows. I'd be interested, though, to see your explication of Blazing Saddles as a film dedicated to commenting constructively on the problems associated with rape in America.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
...You've lost me. I thought you were arguing that the inclusion of "touchy topics" like sexual harrassment in Comic Artist (despite doing nothing with the topic) put that show on the same plane as social satires like Blazing Saddles, but now you're quoting Blazing Saddles (I assume) and suggesting that it's not social satire?
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
...You've lost me. I thought you were arguing that the inclusion of "touchy topics" like sexual harrassment in Comic Artist (despite doing nothing with the topic) put that show on the same plane as social satires like Blazing Saddles, but now you're quoting Blazing Saddles (I assume) and suggesting that it's not social satire?

Not to be mean, but I'm a bit surprised you could be lost. It's pretty clear what I'm doing there.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

True, but Blazing Saddles is smart. Witty, even, and trying to make a point about something. This show? From the admittedly very little I saw, it's dumb in a very "mindless entertainment" sort of way. It's not trying to make a point, or satirize anything, or trying to subvert expectations. It just plays things very, very straight.

If nothing else, that just seems quite boring.

As for harmless, obviously this isn't causing murders or riots in the street. But that's not the point. Carl points out that this show is very demeaning towards its female characters, and that it's not something he cares for--and that others who feel the same way will find little to enjoy in this show. I certainly felt the same way about the first episode. You, it seems, did not, and that's fine. But it also doesn't exclude the possibility that others, like Levitz9, won't find it enjoyable or even tolerable. Different strokes for different folks, and all that jazz.

This guy here gets it.

Blazing Saddles doesn't reduce the entire joke to "hahaha, we said "rape"! Ain't we edgy?"

People who play the "politically correct" card tend to forget that people just might not like seeing these kinds of attitudes in our TV shows. When a show's humor is entirely dependant on this "joke"... yeah, man, I shouldn't have to take it because it's not "trying" to be smart. spoiler[In b4 "don't like don't watch"--because we're on a forum for criticizing and discussing anime, and we should be more mature than that.]
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
Sachiko2010 wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:

Not to be mean, but I'm a bit surprised you could be lost. It's pretty clear what I'm doing there.

*shrug* Even if you think it's clear, I'm obviously in the dark. An explanation would be appreciated, since at the moment, it seems to me like you're undermining your own argument.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Here's the problem with using sexual harrassment as a joke, though: people are scarred by this, every day, in real life. This is something that people deal with, and have to live with. It's not a quirky joke for them, and neither is having to report it to authorities, nor having to deal with negative attitudes from people who think "they brought it on themselves".

So what? Do we crusade against Tom & Jerry because it plays animal abuse for laughs and people out there have seen actual animal abuse? Or how about shows which joke about a kid being bullied by a stereotypical leather jacket wearing thug at school? Kids shoot up schools and commit suicide over that in real life, so do we not have bully jokes in shows anymore? What about jokes about people crashing their car into something or being drunk? People have have their lives ruined by drunk drivers, so do we just not have jokes about that either? Sounds like a boring comedy if nothing that someone could have experienced themselves can be joked about. Even knock knock jokes are off limits because someone could have been assaulted after opening their front door. Where does this censorship of comedy end?

Levitz9 wrote:
In b4 "don't like don't watch"--because we're on a forum for criticizing and discussing anime, and we should be more mature than that.]

The mature thing to do would realize the show isn't for you and move on. Otherwise it just looks like you have an agenda. Making it your mission to preach against a show that does something you disagree with comes off pretty petty and self-serving. Remember that woman who tried to get Married With Children cancelled because she found it sexist? She was told to just turn the channel as well, but then it was revealed it wasn't about her own dislike, it was about forcing her morals onto other people and if people disagreed with her they were attacked and destroyed. I can't imagine how it'd be like if they tried to make Married With Children in this day and age where every little dissenting thing gets criticized
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:

The mature thing to do would realize the show isn't for you and move on. Otherwise it just looks like you have an agenda. Making it your mission to preach against a show that does something you disagree with comes off pretty petty and self-serving. Remember that woman who tried to get Married With Children cancelled because she found it sexist? She was told to just turn the channel as well, but then it was revealed it wasn't about her own dislike, it was about forcing her morals onto other people and if people disagreed with her they were attacked and destroyed. I can't imagine how it'd be like if they tried to make Married With Children in this day and age where every little dissenting thing gets criticized

If you can't handle dissenting opinions to your own, you should probably stop reading the opinions of others. People enjoy talking about the media they consume, positive or negative, in social contexts and others, and if you just aren't open to any reading but your own and have to actively villify anyone who disagrees with you as some moral-preacher-cartoon-character type trying to get your shows destroyed, maybe it's best if you just avoid discussion altogether.

Nobody's trying to have this show destroyed nor are they morally crusading against it, some people think sexual harassment played for laffs is gross and not funny and this show handled it poorly. That's it. The dogpiling on any negative opinion of this show is really over the top.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
*snip*

I'll thank you for not strawmanning me or for actually citing your sources. I mean, really, Tom and Jerry? Animal abuse? Way to blow me way out of proportion, man.

I never even knew that there was a woman who tried to get Married With Children banned, and really, that has nothing to do with anything because we're not talking about banning jack. (Not only that, as far as I know, you could be pulling some hearsay out of your sleeve.)

Heck, how do so many people even watch television these days when anything outside of "the norm" is allegedly pushing an agenda? I can't imagine how it'd be like if they tried to make The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street or Victor Victoria in this day and age where every little thing remotely resembling social issues gets lombasted with cries of "agenda pushing" or "political correctness!" or "moral outrage".
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
I never even knew that there was a woman who tried to get Married With Children banned, and really, that has nothing to do with anything because we're not talking about banning jack. (Not only that, as far as I know, you could be pulling some hearsay out of your sleeve.)

Oh, it happened. They even covered it on the Married With Children reunion special. A housewive disapproved of all the fat jokes, objectification of women, and everything else that the show was about. She wrote to advertisers and threatened to launch campaigns to boycott their products for supporting the show, trying to bully them into pulling out and letting the show run into financial disaster and get cancelled.

The beautiful thing is it had the opposite effect. Fox was a fledgling network and couldn't afford advertising their new shows, so when this hit the newspaper headlines, millions of people were now exposed to a show they never new existed. All the newcomers tuned in to see what the fuss was about, and the shows ratings skyrocketed.

There's no such thing as bad publicity, so I welcome any and all naysayers about things like this. All it does is give a show or game free publicity. A modern example is Dragon's Crown. It would have been just another niche Japanese game in America, but Kotaku made it their own personal goal to destroy and discredit the game. All it did was end up boosting its sales tremendously because it was free advertisement.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
@Fedora-san

You do realize that after saying that, all those posers that have seen at most one episode of this series will stop posting in this thread? I mean, quality haters see each and every episode and would have instantly noticed the lies in Carl's review, once they realize they are helping spread the word for The Comic Artist and His Assistants they will stop since that was the only thing in their minds.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I mean, quality haters see each and every episode and would have instantly noticed the lies in Carl's review,

LOL, Wut? Somebody is going off the deep end here.

PS I watched all the episodes.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
I mean, quality haters see each and every episode and would have instantly noticed the lies in Carl's review,

LOL, Wut? Somebody is going off the deep end here.

PS I watched all the episodes.

As I have already mentioned in this post, but lets give it more space:

1. "(This series) leaves you feeling soiled and distinctly glad to be out of its clutches". Unless you or someone close have had an unfortunate experience of attempting to be raped, there is no way an average viewer will come to this conclusion. But if you are on of said person, what are you doing seeing an ecchi comedy? It is like someone who just been released from jail watches Deadman Wonderland!

2. "And all this while in a position of power over most of them". Aito is not in a position of authority, the girls are there out of their free will and will punish Aito on the spot if he ever goes beyond what each thinks is acceptable conduct. Never is is mentioned anything about them requiring him for morale or economic support and each of them are quite capable of finding other mangaka to work (or play) with.

3. "That would be assistant Sena, who is not only young (looking?), but is specifically presented as physically powerless. When they meet Aito force-cuddles her, knowing full well she can't resist. When Sena punishes him for that, he turns the beating sexual, which reasserts his dominance." What a load of bull. Sena appears in Aito's apartment with an exorbitant bill for the less than 5 minute work she did the day before, when Aito excuses himself she uncovers a whip at starts lashing at Aito at her heart content, only to realize she is so wimpy Aito is not wounded in the least, he asks her to continue (because he is a masochist), Sena's pride is affected due to her failed mischief, not any ill intention of Aito.

I suppose Carl attempted the kind of deconstruction some people do on shows that are very complex and/or have lots of episodes, but attempting it on a series that is quite simple and short was an unfortunate decision to say the least.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
As I have already mentioned in this post, but lets give it more space:

Everything you mention is matter of opinion. Not "lies."

I'm not sure it matters but I happen to agree more with your view than I would the view in the review. Yet unlike you I can see the chain of logic that comes to the conclusion both you and I don't agree with. From the looks of it you have rejected every explanation in that vein so I don't see much point in discussing it further. But it is somewhat bemusing what extremes you are going to on the subject.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8