• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Comic Artist and His Assistants Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I got through TWO half-length episodes before giving up. Smile
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
The show is good on a it's so stupid it's funny level but there really isn't anything beyond that to praise it for.

Agreed. Decent show, made me laugh sometimes, but not something I'd say people should head out to watch.

The episodes, or sections of episodes, that will stick in my mind are scenes from 10(?) and 12. 12 because I actually found it funny that Ashisu finally spoiler[creates a manga that is rated by the powers-that-be, but can't make her debut as a mangaka due to the ecchiness of it...which was influenced by] Aito.

And 10 (I think) actually had the show give us a little heart by showing us Mihari and Aito's time as high schoolers.

I do have to ask, why is this sentence in the review?
Quote:
And all this while in a position of power over most of them.

I only ask because, to me, this seems to imply that Aito uses his power in some way...but, from memory, that is never the case. A lot of the ecchi is either accidental tropes, Rinna being naive/massive Aito-fangirl or they give in (mostly Ashisu) because he starts to pathetically beg for something.

Quote:
The hash that Comic Artist makes of itself is sad because, prior to opening its vulgar, vapid mouth, the show had potential.

I've cut the paragraph short. This entire paragraph in the review makes me think that, before watching the show, the reviewer had the completely wrong idea about the show. In the lead up to me watching it, I knew that I was in for an ecchi comedy with an idiot protagonist surrounded by girls that would be ecchi fodder...not anything to do with a peek behind the curtain at the anime industry and whatever else the reviewer mentions.

Sadly, I do believe that whatever initial impressions the reviewer had played a part in the review. We're all human, and I know I've had many times where I've watched something and disliked it as it wasn't what I expected. I'm not saying the reviewer would've enjoyed the show if they knew what it was actually all about, but you can't discount an initial impression being wrong and say it had no influence on how the reviewer viewed the show.

Quote:
If, after reading this, you still want to see a comedy about a mangaka and his assistants, watch Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun.

And, while I agree with Nozaki-kun is a much better show, it isn't exactly the same. Yes, on the surface it has a mangaka and assistants, but the basis of the character relationships between these shows couldn't be more different...along with the content of the manga that is being created by the protagonist.

Also, the Svangali bit about Rena...really? He didn't create the situation they were caught in, and he didn't all of a sudden place the urge to use the bathroom. The only influence he had on the entire situation was giving Rena the option to pee in the bottle, rather than peeing on the floor...as they had no idea how long they'd be stuck in the elevator for. And, beyond sitting down with Rena, he wasn't exactly helping...of course, I could be remembering that part wrong and Aito was actually holding the bottle while putting Rena under pressure to pee?

At the end of it all, this show may be for you if:
- You enjoy ecchi-comedies where a perverted idiot is surrounded by females
- Are in for a switch off your brain 12 minute show
- Don't mind a format where each episode is split into 2-3 "gag reels"

It won't be for you if you expect all characters (and I include Aito) are treated and portrayed with respect or that you believe all fiction should be reflective of reality and adhere to your views. No one is treated or portrayed well in this series. The girls are ecchi fodder and pander to different fetishes and the male protagonist is an idiotic pervert who gets physically abused, and never seems to think what he does is wrong.

I'm expecting to be called a misogynist by someone who wishes to jump the gun and hand down judgement upon me. Laughing

Larg wrote:
Furthermore, 'Comic Artist' is a show that's made for a male audience, while 'Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun' is geared to a shoujo audience.

Not entirely true. Nozaki-kun is serialised on Gangan Online, which is for a shonen audience, so it is also targeted towards males. Though, the age demographic is different. Being a seinen series, Comic Artist has a demo of 17+ while Nozaki-kun would be 10+.

Last edited by Ali07 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I had an epiphany, I think the review Carl Kimlinger wrote about The Comic Artist and Assistants is, word by word, what spoiler[Ashisu's assistant (from the manga's season 2) would write if she somehow came into the real world]
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
What has been said has already been said and I don't think I can offer anything more of value, as I really need to brush up on my feminism theories.

But seriously, I really can't understand how some people can be so intolerant about other people's tastes and preferences. Not to mention, how someone could review a show without taking its genre and intended audience into account. As mentioned in a previous post, it's like complaining about the level of gore and violence in a horror slasher film. Viewing a show through a prejudiced lens is no way to go about conducting a review. While objectivity is impossible to achieve, one should strive towards it.

I would honestly like to see the reviewer respond to some of the excellent criticism of his piece in the forums (that those of dudebro and Ali07). If he thinks that his ideas can be defended, or are worth defending, that is. Please don't hide behind buzzwords like "misogynist" in order to get a rise out of people like all the other "pop culture feminists" do. The onus is on you to prove the tangible harm.
Rensie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
Carl the new Zac, they can't review something or make a valid point without insult and ridiculize people who is in a certain demographic.
Is not so hard to have a impartial review, of you don't like a genre in the first place then don't review it but let a reviewer who is into it to do it.
Sad and pathetic.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
But seriously, I really can't understand how some people can be so intolerant about other people's tastes and preferences.

I find that, as time passes, this gets worse. Yes, people enjoy what they enjoy and I may not agree with what they like (whatever it is). But, I just feel like a lot more attacking is being done as time passes. "You're wrong for enjoying something I don't agree with, you should be punished for enjoying it!!!!"
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
But seriously, I really can't understand how some people can be so intolerant about other people's tastes and preferences.

Shouldn't everyone also be tolerant of Carl and his tastes and preferences? I mean, a review is just an opinion; just because it's published on ANN doesn't mean it's a bully pulpit to make people who enjoyed the show feel bad about themselves. It's okay, in response, to just say "well, I liked the show, and here are the reasons why", and let people come to their own conclusions about whether it's the sort of show that will appeal to them. And if you had a different interpretation of events presented, you could present that interpretation without trying to assign "sinister" motivations to those who saw it differently.

I'm not sure how people can slander this person for his opinion while also preaching about tolerance. It makes no sense. First take the plank out of your own eye, as they say.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
And from now on I guess I'll just look at the reviewer and not read anything from Carl, among others. Yeah, it's great you want to be a white knight, but I don't share that opinion. You and the people like you disgust me as much as I'm sure my views disgust you. I'll stick to reading reviews of ecchi material from people whom I know go into it with an open mind and are willing to judge it simply whether it's actually good or bad without having to pull out the misogynist card. I'm not trying to say this show was any sort of great shakes, but the moment you started in with your feminist agenda, you lost any sort of credibility. And this is hardly the first time you've done it. I know your boss is quite happy to promote that, but that doesn't mean I have to read it any more.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote
relentlessflame wrote:
Actar wrote:

Shouldn't everyone also be tolerant of Carl and his tastes and preferences? I mean, a review is just an opinion; just because it's published on ANN doesn't mean it's a bully pulpit to make people who enjoyed the show feel bad about themselves.

I think your logic is flawed. What we are talking about this poor excuse of a review of an anime series; if he likes (i.e., this is an assumption) strong female leads like the ones portrayed in Miyazaki films, I also like them; If he likes series with BL undertones, I do not like them but I can understand the fandom is diverse; I have read each and every reply in this thread and no one is attacking his personal tastes and preferences, afaik he only mentions Nozoki-kun and I am also watching that series (and i am not a massochist that watches a series just to come to messageboards and tell people how awful I feel it is).

BTW, no matter how I look at it, ANN reviews ARE bully pulpits, what is done in each and everyone depends on the author.

This kind of reviews seems like an example of journalism a la carte *cellphone rings* "Hey boss, do you want me to trash these show that was not streamed on spring?" *somewhere in skull mountain* "Yeah, trash that little one piece of s**t, we do not want that kind of anime getting good disc sales, we are here to guide the flock after all, mwahahaha".
nosotros

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I think your logic is flawed. What we are talking about this poor excuse of a review of an anime series; if he likes (i.e., this is an assumption) strong female leads like the ones portrayed in Miyazaki films, I also like them; If he likes series with BL undertones, I do not like them but I can understand the fandom is diverse; I have read each and every reply in this thread and no one is attacking his personal tastes and preferences, afaik he only mentions Nozoki-kun and I am also watching that series (and i am not a massochist that watches a series just to come to messageboards and tell people how awful I feel it is).

BTW, no matter how I look at it, ANN reviews ARE bully pulpits, what is done in each and everyone depends on the author.

The problem is that people aren't just voicing their disagreement with the review or trying to disprove Carl's points, they're talking about Carl as though he's mentally unfit to review the series, or has some sort of monolithic evil motivations that go beyond "I think this show was exploitative crap so I'll call it exploitative crap in my review."

Quote:
This kind of reviews seems like an example of journalism a la carte *cellphone rings* "Hey boss, do you want me to trash these show that was not streamed on spring?" *somewhere in skull mountain* "Yeah, trash that little one piece of s**t, we do not want that kind of anime getting good disc sales, we are here to guide the flock after all, mwahahaha".

Yeah, like this. Why do you feel the need to attribute a negative review to some sort of conspiratorial agenda? Is it really so impossible to accept that someone simply watched the show and found it to be a poor experience? Has it occurred to you that that might be a little close-minded of you? And I don't just mean you specifically, I mean everybody whose posts seem to consist of "Carl must have such-and-such innate mental problem/diabolical plan if he thinks that this show was bad."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
Great. "Waah waah, Carl has a different opinion of this show than I do so therefore I must impugn his professionalism." What a bunch of pathetic whining. It's amazing how pissy dudes who think that repeating the same lame gag OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER is the height of awesome humour and how bent out of shape they get when a reviewer doesn't agree. I love Ikki Tousen so that gives you a good vector on how tolerant I am for ecchi and dumb funny.

Comic Artist is a piece of shit. For the first half of the run it literally concentrated on one "idea" ... dude loves pantsu and embarrasses his assistants and editor. That's it. Towards the end of the run the show would occasionally veer to other territory but the main spine is "ha ha, dude is a pervert and he embarrasses the females around him." Ha ha. Ha. Again, I have no problem laughing at this kind of thing IF IT'S ACTUALLY FUNNY.

But fine, comedy is subjective and what slays me might leave you stone-faced and vice versa. Fine. But then trying to deny that there was some sexist and creepy shit in here is just typical "I'll never even be able to hold a conversation with a female let alone get laid" anime fanboy retardation. How can you watch this show and not recognize at least to some degree some of the things Carl rightfully points out? Unbelievable.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
nosotros wrote:
... if he thinks that this show was bad."

That is the problem, he is not saying "the show is bad", I really do not care for the low scores he gave, the problem is he is not saying "the show has cheap animation, cliche characters and a plot that is kind of generic", He is one step short of calling it evil and sprinkling it with holy water, he is giving it attributions as if it had killed his puppy and then pissed on the carcass. This kind of review could also be written about shows like Watamote, that made a lot of people in this forum cringe for very personal reasons, but that does not mean the show should NOT be watched by anyone nor that it deserves the inquisition treatment Carl gave to the Comic Artist and His Assistants.

p.s. Just in case you hadn't noticed, in any journalism outlet, whatever is written MUST be approved by the editor, this is not a blog where whatever is written is the sole responsibility of the author.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
Wow I didn't want to watch this show to begin with and the review killed whatever morbid curiosity I had for the series and now the pages of debate buried it all six feet deep.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
He is one step short of calling it evil and sprinkling it with holy water, he is giving it attributions as if it had killed his puppy and then pissed on the carcass.

Well, watching a show and giving us his opinion on it is kind of his job, you know.

What do you suggest he do?
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
As a result of this review, and all this debate, I watched the first episode of 'Comic Artist And His Assistants'. It was pretty bad. The colors are dull. The designs are generic. The humor is witless. But it definitely elucidated why people are taking Carl's review so personally. I mean the show is pretty much centered on a pervert making observations from within a perverted mindset, so naturally the ones who would find the show funny are people that identify with that perverted mindset. (Really, what normal person cares how much of a girl's panties can be seen?) But enjoying the show also requires ignoring your moral sense, and filing away the unfortunate implications, so you could cleanly enjoy the 'wackiness' of Aito saying things he shouldn't be saying out loud. Wouldn't the average person have a problem with a protagonist who solicited his employee to grope herself, and then groped her, himself? Naturally, some degree of insecurity would be expected from being a fan of this sort of thing. When Carl drags this thing out into the harsh light of day, it stops being about the show, and becomes: "There's nothing wrong with me! Stop attacking me and people like me!" And that, in itself, would seem to suggest the show as being indefensible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8