• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Comic Artist and His Assistants Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
He is one step short of calling it evil and sprinkling it with holy water, he is giving it attributions as if it had killed his puppy and then pissed on the carcass.

Well, watching a show and giving us his opinion on it is kind of his job, you know.

What do you suggest he do?

It is a common misconception that a review is all about personal opinion. While he has freedom of speech, it must also come with responsibility now that he is placed in a position of power as a writer for a prestigious website like ANN. Unfortunately, there are those whose opinions are easily swayed by reviewers and giving it an unfair review through prejudiced lenses does not do it justice.

A good review is measured by objectivity and the ability to put yourself in the shoes of both sides, take the target audience into account, modify your rubric accordingly and weigh the pros and cons and be man enough to say: "I don't like it, but perhaps people who enjoy such comedy will" as opposed to just bashing it, its fans and using it to fulfill some agenda.

zeo1fan wrote:
But enjoying the show also requires ignoring your moral sense, and filing away the unfortunate implications, so you could cleanly enjoy the 'wackiness' of Aito saying things he shouldn't be saying out loud.

Yes, because fiction is all about adhering to the standards of morality that define our daily actions. You're completely missing the point of fiction - to allow you to do and experience things that you can't do in real life. Just because I enjoy playing GTA, shooting, robbing and murdering, doesn't mean I don't have a proper moral compass when going about my day to day activities. I follow the social contract, but that doesn't apply in fiction.

zeo1fan wrote:
Naturally, some degree of insecurity would be expected from being a fan of this sort of thing. When Carl drags this thing out into the harsh light of day, it stops being about the show, and becomes: "There's nothing wrong with me! Stop attacking me and people like me!" And that, in itself, would seem to suggest the show as being indefensible.

Thank you very much. You've conceded the point. He's attacking people for their tastes and preferences as opposed to conducting a review. Intolerance at its finest.
blcskate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad show. I definitely got a few laughs out of it. I am not a fan of shorter episodes, but it didn't ruin it for me either. Saying this is a "D" rank is a little extreme. There is some good background story stuff going on. I do wish it was more fleshed out though.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
So Actar pretty much proves my point. He reduces fiction as a medium and then compartmentalizes to excuse it. He's defensive because he projects himself onto Aito. When Carl critiques Aito, Actar feels criticized as well.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I guess the solution is for ANN to hire a designated pervert to review the ecchi series, since people who don't like sexism played for comedy are bad on a scale from "intolerant" to "mentally ill".
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Since Actar has already replied as I would (or better) the only thing I have to add is:

Eisenmann V wrote:
I guess the solution is for ANN to hire a designated pervert to review the ecchi series, since people who don't like sexism played for comedy are bad on a scale from "intolerant" to "mentally ill".

TBT Carl can write all the hate speech he wants, but it is the editors job to say "This shit has no place in ANN, rewrite it or ask me to assign another person to the task". That is what we call standards, which can be as high or low as the editor deems necessary.

Saying you need to be a pervert to laugh at this comedy is Eisenmann V opinion and he has a right to have one even if I think it is sad opinion. I must repeat Actar's opinion, some people do not seem to know where fiction ends and reality starts, opps, I am taking their time, the people applauding carl's review no doubt are about to go in a rally to ask Funimation to stop streaming Psycho Pass extended, go on.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
He's attacking people for their tastes and preferences as opposed to conducting a review. Intolerance at its finest.

Is that so. Can you please quote a section from Carl's review where he "attacks" people for their tastes and preferences. Look, I'm a pretty prickly guy myself. I bristle at any hint - either explicit or implicit - of a reviewer who seems to be making a value judgment about viewers who make like or dislike a show. I can't find even a scintilla of that in Carl's review. Please feel free to point out what I've missed.

I have a feeling your definition of "attacking people for their tastes and preferences" translates into, "zomg, he didn't love this show that I do - the beast!" Rolling Eyes
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

TBT Carl can write all the hate speech he wants

Calling it hate speech is somewhat hyperbolic, though I'm not sure you're trying to imply the full implications of the phrase. Point being, fandoms are not a protected class.

mangamuscle wrote:

Saying you need to be a pervert to laugh at this comedy is Eisenmann V opinion.

I didn't actually mean it that way. I was just trying some word play referencing the common theory that "ecchi" derives from the H in hentai.
billy bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Actar wrote:
He's attacking people for their tastes and preferences as opposed to conducting a review. Intolerance at its finest.

Is that so. Can you please quote a section from Carl's review where he "attacks" people for their tastes and preferences. Look, I'm a pretty prickly guy myself. I bristle at any hint - either explicit or implicit - of a reviewer who seems to be making a value judgment about viewers who make like or dislike a show. I can't find even a scintilla of that in Carl's review. Please feel free to point out what I've missed.

I have a feeling your definition of "attacking people for their tastes and preferences" translates into, "zomg, he didn't love this show that I do - the beast!" Rolling Eyes

Can see where your coming from here.

He doesn't attack any viewer, he just attacks the show.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I would say Carl is a passive aggressive. I think it is clear to all that this is an ecchi comedy, nothing new, most people have seen a dozen without even making an effort. But from the moment when he says total wreck he start to crafty turn everything in this comedy into a perverse spectacle (that logically only a pervert would enjoy). He talks about sexual harassment, heck, series like Ranma 1/2 and City Hunter have this kind of comedy and no one raises any alert flags, but here it "leaves you feeling soiled and distinctly glad to be out of its clutches"? Then he tries to convinces us that Aito is "in a position of power"? Aito is the definition of powerless, the girls can kick him to the curb the instant they choose without any repercussions! Then he goes on to say that the whole deal with Sena "only makes whole enterprise that much ickier." <--- see again the passive aggressiveness? It is not comedy, it is something only perverts would enjoy or at least is what he wants us to feel.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:

I don't think that is particularly fair. My interests and enjoyment tend to be opposite of Carl's views a good 80-90% of the time (and Zac's too, for that matter), but there have been multiple ecchi series reviewed quite fairly; meaning the show is assessed on all of its merits and not just slagged off BECAUSE it is ecchi.

Rebecca Silverman reviewed B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time and gave it marks of B (sub) and A- (dub). Luke Carroll gave it the same grades. Erin Finnegan also pronounced it Shelf-worthy. This is a series that Zac has, for lack of a better word, denounced at least once in the past. Carl himself gave Cat Planet Cuties (my personal least favourite ecchi series) a grade of B when reviewing it. Theron Martin, probably the most ecchi-friendly reviewer on staff, gave the first six episodes an A-. Again, Shelf Life reviews found it with a Shelf-worthy rating.

For what it is worth, I personally enjoyed Mangaka-san. My girlfriend did not for some of the same reasons raised by Carl. Do I think he overstepped in the way he disparaged the show? Absolutely. But saying that one ecchi anime with a bad review means ANN as a whole regards people who enjoy such fare as mentally ill, or needs to hire perverts to give a series a fair review... it is laughable at best, deplorable at worst. A series isn't bad because it has boobs in it. A series is bad because it is flat, stale, humourless, or just plain vapid. There are many ecchi series that have been reviewed and given high marks because they are smart, funny, or unique in some manner. They have character and stand-out. I've already listed two; here are 223 with the ecchi tag in the encyclopedia. There are plenty of reviews that I would deem to be fair nestled in amongst those pages. If a series is rated poorly that tends to be because it was not exactly brilliant to begin with. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy it (I've already said that I enjoyed this one), but it is certainly not a series that would even come close to a masterpiece in my books.

I rather hope Carl has not read the vitriol laid out here and thrown in his direction; it is absolutely not what he deserves, regardless of what you think of this one particular series and his review thereof.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
Eisenmann V wrote:

I rather hope Carl has not read the vitriol laid out here and thrown in his direction; it is absolutely not what he deserves, regardless of what you think of this one particular series and his review thereof.

That's actually what I meant. I think the various hyperboles invoked by a few people are exactly that: hyperbole.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Then he goes on to say that the whole deal with Sena "only makes whole enterprise that much ickier." <--- see again the passive aggressiveness? It is not comedy, it is something only perverts would enjoy or at least is what he wants us to feel.

So Carl saying that he feels a certain apsect is icky means that anyone who likes the show is a pervert? This reeks of a case of taking criticism on show as a personal attack, when it's not one at all.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I never even considered watching this show, but I always enjoy reading Carl when he rips on a show.

And of course the usual crowd of loserly "the reviewer is a feminist!" proclamations ...

so entertaining. Twisted Evil
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I never even considered watching this show, but I always enjoy reading Carl when he rips on a show.

And of course the usual crowd of loserly "the reviewer is a feminist!" proclamations ...

Glad to know that the average Carl supporter in this thread could not care less if we were talking about The Comic Artist and His Assistants or Debbie Does Dallas, pretty illustrative *raises right eyebrow*
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

But... he is clearly taking a feminist literary/TV/film critic stance on the show, isn't he? Having taken more than my fair share of feminist literary and film theory and criticism courses through grad school, I can say that a statement like "And all this while in a position of power over most of them" and references to "sexual politics" are canonical for that genre of critique. And a passage like the following is a perfect example of the perspective that guides a feminist review to its predictable conclusions:

"Their scenes together get their "humor" from tearing down her pride, stripping her of strength and power. She's proud and aggressive and female and thus must be brought down. That alone would tank the series. The fact that the show laughs everything off—just a harmless bit of ecchi fun!—only makes whole enterprise that much ickier."

The show can be safely "tanked" by the critic if it doesn't meet certain criteria for representing female characters ... often you'll see the term "objectification" bandied about in relation to the scenes the reviewer is describing.

I'm not suggesting that a feminist approach to film, television, or literary works is "bad," but I will say (again) that it will always have predictable results when it encounters shows (like this one) that essentially gleefully wave an extended middle finger in a critic of this sort's general direction. Unless the feminist critic is of a certain caliber, you'll invariably get results like this review where the critic is just so flummoxed at the temerity of the show that they end up dedicating the vast majority of the review to empty "I'm an angry critic" crit speak, like "The hash that Comic Artist makes of itself is sad because, prior to opening its vulgar, vapid mouth, the show had potential" or equally empty demands that the show be something that it never ever intended to be: "It could poke fun at the influence of commercial needs on comic-writing, or ask seriously where monetary concerns end and artistic ones begin" (I'd say that being upset that the show doesn't address concerns like this is ... well, missing the whole point, isn't it?). So, the review was kind of humorous to me in its own right. I've been there; it takes a long time to float back up to the surface when you're that deeply submerged.

Personally, I laughed out loud on quite a few occasions during the show and will definitely be buying it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8