• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1986 Game Transformers: Mystery of Convoy Gets TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
Lol Transformers. I guess I might give this a try to see how it will end up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tetsuryu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
At first, I was at least mildly excited because "Wow, geewun anime! I actually want to see this one" but then I saw it was using the choro Q movie designs.

I immediately lost interest.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
Tetsuryu wrote:
At first, I was at least mildly excited because "Wow, geewun anime! I actually want to see this one" but then I saw it was using the choro Q movie designs.

I'm honestly sick of these damn flames they keep putting on Optimus Prime. I'm sick of the Bayformers-inspired designs. I was excited but based on this 'trailer', I lost interest.

EDIT: I honestly hope something emerges that shows this new anime to be G1-based, or at least anything pre-Bayformers-based, that would save it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Interesting that it took so long for it to get a TV anime.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:38 am Reply with quote
All this Bay-hate...
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
All this Bay-hate...

Well excuse me not jumping on the 'eat sh*t and call it ice-cream' bandwagon.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Tetsuryu wrote:

Yep, same here. An anime based on one of the worst Famicom games in history using Michael Bay designs isn't exactly wowing me.
DapperShiga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
My question is: why adapt THAT particular Transformers game into an anime series?

It's extremely difficult, and frustrating to play! Confused
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
Transformers suffered from having morons adapt it into the video game medium. Thank God the Armada game changed that and put TF into legit gaming territory. Sadly, because it wasn't G1, people didn't give it a chance. Quite pathetic, really.

Although, I can't fully count the Beast Wars games in this statement for I haven't played them, but surely anything based on the non-beast era before the Armada game was screwed.

Last edited by the-antihero on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
The Cybertron games did really well, but those were pretty much G1 prequels.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The Cybertron games did really well, but those were pretty much G1 prequels.

I haven't played it yet, but the third Cybertron game merges previous continum of the previous games and Michael Bay films. Not sure I'm interested in that.
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey, the Grumps recently played this. What a coincidence. Also, the gameplay footage in the video doesn't assure me that this will be a good game.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Tetsuryu wrote:

I'm honestly sick of these damn flames they keep putting on Optimus Prime. I'm sick of the Bayformers-inspired designs. I was excited but based on this 'trailer', I lost interest.

EDIT: I honestly hope something emerges that shows this new anime to be G1-based, or at least anything pre-Bayformers-based, that would save it.

The movies are what most people think of when they hear Transformers and are the most successful iteration of the franchise. People who grew up with the 80s cartoon seem to take the franchise a bit too seriously IMO. An almost fanatical devotion to it and a hatred for the movies. The movies existing doesn't mean the 80s cartoon suddenly disappeared.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:

The movies are what most people think of when they hear Transformers and are the most successful iteration of the franchise. People who grew up with the 80s cartoon seem to take the franchise a bit too seriously IMO. An almost fanatical devotion to it and a hatred for the movies. The movies existing doesn't mean the 80s cartoon suddenly disappeared.

Trust me, mate. I am NOT a purist for the original series. I've accepted more TF series than most TF fans. I honestly hate those people, if it's not G1, it's automatically crap, that's their logic. Even if it is set in the G1 universe, they don't like it, therefore, there's no pleasing these pricks no matter how much you try and because of that I partially blame them for why Transformers has gone crap in recent years. What is the point?

The other logic is if it's anime, it's crap. Yeah, those guys make up a huge portion of the TF fanbase.

I would even dare say that G1 had too many low points. Ill-conceived ideas made into episodes, AKOM, to name a couple, so it's not the masterpiece they make it out to be. But its high points were really high such as the movie (1986), I'll give it that.

But Bayformers is actually crap, not just because it's not faithful to G1, although that certainly doesn't help, but because it's not faithful to ANY TF series between G1 and Cybertron.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
[quote="the-antihero"]Transformers suffered from having morons adapt it into the video game medium. Thank God the Armada game changed that and put TF into legit gaming territory. Sadly, because it wasn't G1, people didn't give it a chance. Quite pathetic, really.

Although, I can't fully count the Beast Wars games in this statement for I haven't played them, but surely anything based on the non-beast era before the Armada game was screwed.[/quote]

People gave the Armada game a chance. And it was terrible. Dull story and clunky controls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2