• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Searching for that 5% of anime that is WOW!"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:26 am Reply with quote
Nicely put, Alan45. Amen.

End of thread. (For me anyway.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
On second thought, yeah. I do have a time period I feel the most magnificent anime finally got thrown my way.

Whenever the original Toonami series with Tom was airing in the United States, and early Adult Swim when they had the classic bumps of seniors getting in and out of pools. That was the nexus of the Japanese vortex. Cool
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
@ Lain's Hairline & DJStarstryker.

That's not really the point of this thread. (Though I suppose there's nothing particularly wrong with digressing a little.)

The questions were - What year has your largest number of masterpieces? When was your "back in day"?

This isn't an argument over what is or isn't a masterpiece. It's about when was your anime golden age. The questions presuppose that people have different tastes, that quality is subjective.

Don't be shy. Tell us what and when your masterpieces are/were.

I don't know, TBH. I actually just started a MyAnimeList account and will be slowly adding shows to that. Considering I've been watching anime for over 20 years, it's going to take a long time to remember what I watched and what I thought of things.

I'll put it this way. I would put both Rose of Versailles and No Game No Life on my masterpiece list. Rose of Versailles is from the late 70s. No Game No Life is from 2014. The two shows are vastly different in genre and tone. I'm not sure if there *is* a golden age of anime for me. I have a lot of nostalgia for the '90s era, but we have a lot of anime since then that has been phenomenal. The '90s also had some great anime, but it also had some terrible ones.

I think sometimes that people tend to call the golden era of anime whichever era was the one when they got really into anime.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
So I went ahead and made some charts of my anime rankings per year. Several things to note:
  1. Most of the anime I've watched is from 1995 and on. Pre-1995, I've only seen a few anime here and there. Part of this is due to access and what's legally available to watch (I see a majority of my anime streaming now). And another part is due to preference. There are more current anime that interest me versus old anime.
  2. My average score from all of the anime I've seen is 7.3 (Good). Years 2006 and on have all been above the average.
  3. The average yearly rating has tended to increase since the mid-1990s.
  4. 2007 was an exceptional year in terms of how many anime I ranked 9 or 10. 2008 and 2013 were also great years.
  5. Approx. 40% of the anime I've seen that are rated 9 or 10 are adapted from manga, and approx. 35% of the anime are original ideas. 20% are adapted from novels or light novels and only 5% are adapted from games.
  6. 2010 was a great year for noitaminA. It also had Kuragehime and Nodame Cantabile: Finale, which I rated 8/10.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
this looks somewhat identical to MALGraph
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I don't have a "back in the day" in the sense you're speaking of. I thoroughly enjoy the anime offered today just like I've done for the past 15+ years. You don't need to search for the 'wow,' just keep watching and it'll find you.

Thing is that it's easier to find masterpieces when you are beginning to explore the medium. I started watching anime seriously in 2012 and in 2012 and 2013 I watched many masterpieces just by watching stuff others rated as masterpieces, usually, one out of three of four of those were 'wow' for me as well. Now I am finding out to be continuously more difficult to impress. Even though the last masterpiece of anime I watched was about 4 months ago.

============================================

errinundra wrote:
@ Lain's Hairline & DJStarstryker.

That's not really the point of this thread. (Though I suppose there's nothing particularly wrong with digressing a little.)

The questions were - What year has your largest number of masterpieces? When was your "back in day"?

I believe the golden age of anime was between 1995 and 2008, from the sample of stuff I have watched, we had, among extremely well regarded titles:

1995: GitS, Whisper of the Heart, EVA
1996: Escaflowne
1997: Princess Mononoke, Utena
1998: Lain, Berserk, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, end of Legend of Galactic Heroes
2000: Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku
2001: Spirited Away, Millennium Actress
2002: Haibane Renmei, RahXephon, Saikano
2003: Texhnolyze, Princess Tutu
2004: Monster
2005: Honey and Clover
2006: Mushishi
2007: Gurren Lagaan
2008: Kaiba, Clannad: Afterstory

Some of these are not among my favorites (Mushishi, Honey and Clover, Monster), but even then I foudn these titles impressive for several reasons.

Quote:
This isn't an argument over what is or isn't a masterpiece. It's about when was your anime golden age. The questions presuppose that people have different tastes, that quality is subjective.

Don't be shy. Tell us what and when your masterpieces are/were.

I note that I watched all of that after 2008. I re-watched or first watched all of that after 2012 and so reflects the perspective of a new fan regarding the medium.

{Merged posts as double-posting is frowned upon. ~nbahn}
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Thing is that it's easier to find masterpieces when you are beginning to explore the medium. I started watching anime seriously in 2012 and in 2012 and 2013 I watched many masterpieces just by watching stuff others rated as masterpieces, usually, one out of three of four of those were 'wow' for me as well. Now I am finding out to be continuously more difficult to impress. Even though the last masterpiece of anime I watched was about 4 months ago.
Specifically this is the case with anime because it's not only a relatively young medium in comparison to novels, but since the product is being made essentially in one country, it doesn't even have the benefit of being as prolific as something like film, where you can go off and look for European, South American, American, Chinese, Korean, etc. etc.

By all accounts, it would be surprising to be able to consistently find "masterpieces" every single year on a wide scale.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
ITo other people I ask - at the risk of encouraging lists - what year contains your greatest number of masterpieces? When was your "back in the day"?

My list of personal favorites in chronological order (rate 10/10):

Conan: Boy of the Future (1978)
Nausicaa (1984)
Castle in the Sky (1986)
My Neighbor Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Gunbuster, Legend of Galactic Heroes (1988)
Only Yesterday (1991)
Porco Rosso (1992)
Evangelion. Whisper of the Heart (1995)
Utena, Princess Mononoke (1997)
Trigun, Lain (1998)
Now and Then, Here and There (1999-2000)
Spirited Away (2001)
RahXephon, Saikano, Haibane Renmei (2002)
Texhnolyze (2003)
Gurren Lagann (2007)
Aria: The Origination, Detroit Metal City, Kaiba, Clannad AS (2008)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (2009)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (2011)
Yamato 2199 (2013)
Ping Pong (2014)

So the strongest year were 1988 and 2008, with 4 titles I rate 10/10, followed by 2002 with 3. Though in 1988 I am counting as the beginning of Legend of Galactic Heroes.

I believe that downloading and the 2009 crisis reduced a bit the vigor of the anime industry. Revenues of the industry peaked in 2006-2007, at ca. 3 billion dollars. The trend of increasing revenues was broken in 2007, from 1990 to 2007 the anime industry doubled in size, though that's after quadrupling during the boom of the late 1970's and 1980's.
RogerLP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I was very impressed by the analytical approaches of errinundra and Willag.

I have only been watching anime for ten years now and probably have a different perspective than people who have been watching it for decades.

On my ANN list of 550 anime I only have 4 masterpieces and 34 excellents. I guess I am a tough grader. The four masterpieces are all from within the last ten years. More than a third of the excellents are from the '80's, '90's, and early 2000's. This skewing towards the modern may be due to the fact that the number of new titles available has been increasing every decade.

From my prospective each decade has produced great anime series and movies as well as very good and good shows as well. RoboTech/ProtoCulture may not be a great show, but it sure is fun to watch.

The present seems to overshadow the past amongst new anime watchers because the new anime has better artwork and is pushing the envelop in many cases with their story lines. Would High School of the Dead or High School DxD ever have had a chance of being made in the 1980's or 1990's? On the other hand Serial Experiment: Lain from the late '90s was pushing the envelop then as much as any show now.

Looking at it from my prejudiced and slightly psychotic positon, the last 45 years have been the Golden Age of anime.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
I probably haven't given a 10/10 to anything recent in a long time, and I also feel like other posters here that you're more likely to hand out grades like that when your brand new to the medium because your own personal scale and spectrum for what's really good or not hasn't been fully set. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust might seem like a 10/10 upon your first watch when you're just starting out, but subsequent viewings make it slide down to a still-respectable 9/10. Same with stuff a whole bunch of anime because the scale's been adjusted over time and the anime that truly standout push those buttons claw their way into the 10/10 slot, and I believe that's what 10/10's usually represent for most people, the shows that absolutely speak to them the most, the cherish beyond mere words. At least, that's how I tend to grade, which means even handing out 9/10s becomes rarer.
RogerLP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Same with stuff a whole bunch of anime because the scale's been adjusted over time and the anime that truly standout push those buttons claw their way into the 10/10 slot, and I believe that's what 10/10's usually represent for most people, the shows that absolutely speak to them the most, the cherish beyond mere words. At least, that's how I tend to grade, which means even handing out 9/10s becomes rarer.

Well Said.

You have put into words how I select my 10/10 anime. These few shows speak to me at a very personal level. I watch them again and again and cherish the time I spend with them.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Kudos for you die hards that have a ratings spread sheet and keeping it up to date.

While, I still have my sheets that show what I've watched dating back to the early 80's, I've stopped assigning them rating since I stopped writing reviews for Chris on AnimeOnDVD.com days. (15+ years back at least)

I may have to start thinking back on the true masterpieces or a 5% list tonight at work.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I'd have the time and energy to do a willag spreadsheet lol. Maybe I can hire here to do mine for me. Allocate her some hour play time blocks with my cats lol.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
I finally got ambitious enough to look up the release years for all of the anime that I have rated Excellent or Masterpiece. There are a total of 76.
I included Excellent because there were just too many shows where I could not decide which rating to give. Of course the same could be said for choosing between Excellent and Very Good, but I had to draw the line somewhere.
Since there are only 12 I included the Masterpiece ratings in parentheses.

I used the first date in the "Vintage" field on the encyclopedia page. That skews things a bit for the very long series. A good example is Case Closed/Detective Conan which started in 1996 and is still running. It actually could have been listed for every year in between.

For me the best years were 2001 to 2006 plus 2009, with six or more each year.
If you look at Masterpiece only then 2005 is still the best, but 1998 is tied with 2009 for second place.

1988 and earlier - 0
1989 - 1
1990 - 0
1991 - 0
1992 - 1
1993 - 1
1994 - 0
1995 - 3
1996 - 3
1997 - 0
1998 - 3 (2 Masterpiece: Cardcaptor Sakura, Fancy Lala)
1999 - 1
2000 - 2
2001 - 6 (1 Masterpiece: Figure 17)
2002 - 7 (1 Masterpiece: Kiddy Grade)
2003 - 9 (1 Masterpiece: Stellvia)
2004 - 8
2005 - 10 (3 Masterpiece: Full Metal Panic The Second Raid, Kamichu!, My-Otome)
2006 - 6 (1 Masterpiece: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
2007 - 3
2008 - 2
2009 - 6 (2 Masterpiece: Inuyasha: The Final Act, Maria Watches Over Us 4th season)
2010 - 4 (1 Masterpiece: K-On!!)

The absence of anything after 2010 is not as significant as it might seem.
I do not watch anything that has not had a licensed physical release in North America. Also, I have been buying very little for the last few years. Because of that I have not seen very much that has been made in the last four years.
The low numbers for the early years, before 2000, are probably partly due to a lack of licensed releases.

I did not include movies, or short OVAs, in the list.
I am trying to decide if I should add them to this list or make a different list just for movies.
Any opinions?

This is the complete list of 76:
animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?user=Touma&categ=16
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Specifically MALGraph says my "Golden Age" was 2006:

009-1
Ah My Goddess: Fighting Wings
Black Jack 21
Black Lagoon
Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage
Bleach: Memories of Nobody
Bleach: Sealed Sword Frenzy
Buso Renkin
Code Geass
Death Note
Ergo Proxy
Fate/Stay Night
Freedom
Ghost Hunt
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex-Solid State Society
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Hell Girl: Two Mirrors
Hellsing Ultimate
Kanon (2006)
Kemonozume
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple
Origin-Spirits of the Past
Paprika
REC
Red Garden
The Third
Utawarerumono
Welcome to the NHK
When they Cry

...because I gave all of the above either a 9 or 10 that year, and that doesn't even cover all the 8s and 7s which were also worth watching. Also I'd like to note that 2006 is a particularly strong year for such high ratings. I don't usually give out that many 9s or 10 in a year. Usually the norm is usually 0-4 10s per year and maybe 6-10 9s.

Number of 10s in 2006: 7
Number of 9s in 2006: 22

Err...well there were more of both but I chose not to list them because I intend to change them or I don't want to bring adult titles into this.

For Comparison's Sake....
Total number of Anime Completed: 1,633
Mean Score: 7.09 (0.37 lower than average)

Total Number of 10s in list: 78
Total Number of 9s in list: 369
Total Number of 8's in list: 422
Total Number of 7s in list: 372
Total Number of 6s in list: 214
Total Number of 5s in list: 137
Total Number of 4s in list: 128
Total Number of 3s in list: 33
Total Number of 2s in list: 20
Total Number of 1s in list: 22
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4