• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Importing Aniplex Titles.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
you know, bluray players are like 50$ now
you could just buy 2 of them, one in each region

You would still need to buy the right converters for the UK player. One to adapt the power slot, the other to convert PAL to NTSC.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
PAL and NTSC aren't a thing for BluRay, just DVD.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
as long as you use the HDMI connection it won't matter
but u do need a power converter if you don't have one
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Made my first Aniplex import order after putting it off for awhile. Also have the Bakemonogatari BD collection and Garden of Sinners Movie DVD Collection Limited Edition pre-ordered but these are the three that have been shipped out.

I was rather surprised to find that Amazon UK includes VAT in their prices shown online, so it took me by surprise that my final order amount was around 15% cheaper than I was anticipating. I for one am glad that we have the ability to import cheaper releases from the United Kingdom and Australia.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
VAT is always included in prices here, except for primarily business-to-business retailers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I cried a little on the inside. It actually makes me really very happy when people give AoA the finger like this. Anime cry

If I wasn't an admitted TYPE-MOON hater, I'd definitely grab up those F/Z sets. Insanely cheap, so for the time being I've added Gurren Lagann BD. However...I'm seriously pissed about the Kill la Kill blu rays being absurdly expensive in the UK too. Argh, it's not supposed to work that way! >:<
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Worked a lot of hours these past couple days, so I decided to treat myself and bite the bullet and got a region free blu-ray player for $110 on ebay. I was gonna do paypal credit and pay it in small parts monthly, but decided screw it and just pay for it fully

Just in case though, Imma see if a local store sells Region B blu-rays just to test it out

Also bought the Blue Exorcist movie from Amazon UK and made a small list of other UK Blu-rays and DVDs to pick up.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:53 am Reply with quote
The KLK BluRays which are coming out here at the moment are a premium release with loads of extras, hence the cost. A standard edition will appear down the link I should think.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote
Yeah, patience is always necessary if you want to purchase anime cheaply. The Fate Zero Pt 1 set for instance wasn't available till May 2014, so 2.5 years after the first season aired on TV.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
The KLK BluRays which are coming out here at the moment are a premium release with loads of extras, hence the cost. A standard edition will appear down the link I should think.

Yeah, Andrew's already stated there's going to be a cheaper edition down the road. It's going to take a while.

Personally, I don't mind the price of the Kill la Kill blurays. Sure, it's more than what I'd usually pay for a show, but considering you're paying just as much for 9 episodes as AoA is charging for 4, you're still getting one heck of a deal. Plus you get a really nice artbook and an actual chipboard box, instead of the lame flimsy slipcover that AoA is giving.
manicli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I know this is a year old but I just had a quick question.

Does anyone with experience importing from Amazon UK know how often you get charges import duties & taxes? Does marking the "gift" option during amazon checkout help?
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
While it's just tax-free here in the US, as someone who's dealt with enough Canadian customers who got their first tax bill over the phone, I'd say it's a bit of a crapshoot whether you get charged or not(last I checked, the charge was CAN 9.95 if they decided to bill you), but, to the best of my knowledge, that was always sales tax and never a tariff. If Amazon.co.uk will play along and check the gift box on the customs form, it usually gets you out of the latter, but I'm not sure it'll get you out of the former.
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I have a question. I resently bought a region free blu ray player and ordered some blu rays from Zavvi. I got the Pixar set and Durarara sets which play fine on my player. But when I put in the Guerren Lagann and Puella Magi Madoka Magica sets the discs says they will only play on region b players. Are the last 2 region locked no matter what or is there something I have to do to get them to play?
The Count

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
I have a question. I resently bought a region free blu ray player and ordered some blu rays from Zavvi. I got the Pixar set and Durarara sets which play fine on my player. But when I put in the Guerren Lagann and Puella Magi Madoka Magica sets the discs says they will only play on region b players. Are the last 2 region locked no matter what or is there something I have to do to get them to play?
I think it depends on your player. I also have a region free player but I have to boot it differently for different region disc. It's not hard, for region A disc I have to press 1 on the remote while the player is off, for region B disc I have to press 2 while the player is off while I can play any region DVD in any setting. I noticed most of my region A Blu-Rays from Sentai will play in any mode while Funimation disc I have to set my player to region A or I get the same message you mentioned.

Sorry I can't nail down your problem, this is an Idea of what some players are like. Hopefully your player came with some additional literature to explain the region free functions.
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
matt78 wrote:
I think it depends on your player. I also have a region free player but I have to boot it differently for different region disc. It's not hard, for region A disc I have to press 1 on the remote while the player is off, for region B disc I have to press 2 while the player is off while I can play any region DVD in any setting. I noticed most of my region A Blu-Rays from Sentai will play in any mode while Funimation disc I have to set my player to region A or I get the same message you mentioned.

Sorry I can't nail down your problem, this is an Idea of what some players are like. Hopefully your player came with some additional literature to explain the region free functions.

Thanks for the help. I had to press the blue button to get it to work. Had to do it a few times before it would work though.

Last edited by matt78 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4