• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Importing Aniplex Titles.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
"Region free" Blu-ray player is not a good sign.

I'll quote a post I made on the 2nd page of this thread.

Quote:
You always, always, always have to be careful when buying a Blu-ray player such as these. The one you have linked says (several times actually) that it will only play Zone A BDs. It's region free for DVDs but not zone free (or multizone) for BDs. The reviews are also important to read for stuff about firmware updates and any changes to the code that brings up the menu for Region/Zone selection.

"Multi-zone" is the key phrase for BluRay players I've found. DVDs have regions, whereas BluRay has zones. So if it's a "Region free" BD player then it's likely that it plays all region DVDs but will only play a single zone for BD.
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
"Region free" Blu-ray player is not a good sign.

I'll quote a post I made on the 2nd page of this thread.

Quote:
You always, always, always have to be careful when buying a Blu-ray player such as these. The one you have linked says (several times actually) that it will only play Zone A BDs. It's region free for DVDs but not zone free (or multizone) for BDs. The reviews are also important to read for stuff about firmware updates and any changes to the code that brings up the menu for Region/Zone selection.

"Multi-zone" is the key phrase for BluRay players I've found. DVDs have regions, whereas BluRay has zones. So if it's a "Region free" BD player then it's likely that it plays all region DVDs but will only play a single zone for BD.

Thanks for the info. I was just confused because it played some of my Zone B blu rays but not others.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
It is possible that some of your Region B discs are actually Region AB so will play in either.
unlike DVDs it is usually not possible for a BD player to be "Region Free"; you generally have to manually change region where such a facility is available - this is how it is for my Toshiba (to change BD region I have to enter a code on my remote to enter the service menu and change it there).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:25 am Reply with quote
Actually does anyone have a good recommendation for a BR that plays DVDs from any region? (I actually do not need a multi zone DVD player at this time)
rshackleford

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Maidenoftheredhand:Actually does anyone have a good recommendation for a BR that plays DVDs from any region? (I actually do not need a multi zone DVD player at this time)

Me too.
I just got Monster 1-5(no 2 Confused)DVDs from Siren Visual (gift I REALLY loved) but live in the US and have no region-free/multiregion DVD player. If anyone can please recommend a good &/or cheap multi-region/region-free DVD player, or a BDplayer that also plays US & AU DVDs you'll be my hero.

So, Any Suggestions? Thanks!

PS: I have 1 Bluray (GITS Arise import) going unwatched as I've no BD player; so one that plays US & AU DVDs (& DVD+R, etc) would be great, as JP,US Blurays are the same zone(..right?). I just haven't been able to find one. Maybe I'm an idiot in this, so I really appreciate any suggestions!

Oh yeah- anyone know where to get Monster Part 2?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
rshackleford wrote:

Oh yeah- anyone know where to get Monster Part 2?

I found a couple of eBay, but they don't ship to the US - kind of defeats the purpose. There is however this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Naoki-Urasawas-Monster-COMPLETE-SERIES-BOX-15xDVD-NEW-Cowboy-Bebop-/252255517923?hash=item3abb99bce3:g:zhAAAOSw~bFWFdZP

With shipping included, it's a $100 for the entire set. Damn good price if you ask me.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
I started importing Aniplex titles from the UK. I'll eventually pick up Monster from Austrailia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4