• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star Anime; Strike Witches, Steins;Gate Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I bought Lucky Star on DVD by way of Australian imports, but the video quality was terrible. (Heavy line noise all over the place.) Did the US release have the same problem?

Either way, let there be a Bluray on this one, please.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Stop licensing stuff, and start releasing stuff you licensed three years ago. :/
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Dammit! I was hoping Gundam would be on the list! But it's nice to see Haruhi back and this brings hope that the Yuki Nagato movie will be dubbed too.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that they announce the license for The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya soon; It'd be nice if they get the Lucky Star OVA dubbed for its release, too. As big as Bandai Ent. tried pushing Haruhi when they released it, I'm hoping that FUNimation releases a LE set with some nice extras.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Raikuro wrote:
If Funi was smart they'd release both Haruhi seasons in one set, but section off the Endless Eight onto one single disc that can easily be thrown out.

Endless Eight is actually not that bad in one sitting. They change the visuals and dialogue enough to keep it from being too repetative, and you don't need to wait weeks inbetween.

One sitting is how I was watching it, and having been warned in advance what was up, figured that I got the flavor after the second re-run and cut to the end ... turning it into the 3ternal Three instead.

If they had made it as the 3ternal Three, there would have been a lot less whinging about it at the time, though then they would have had to write five more episodes.

Last edited by agila61 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
wastrel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I am also clinging to hope that Hyouka is licensed over here eventually.

Though of this bunch, Unbreakable Machine-Doll is the one I'm most glad to see.
Bernkastel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
So I assume that we'll get Bandai's English Dubs for these series as well?
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Haruhi and Lucky Star back in print, even though I never watched them. But I am literally jumping for joy that the Strike Witches and Steins;Gate movies are getting a release. Now I won't have to import the SW movie (even though the set is really tempting but pricy). Still debating whether to get S;G complete as well or just the film. I was getting really worried that they wouldn't come out here. Man I can't wait until I have both in my hands. Shame there's still no Nichijou.
SteveUzumaki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Although I got all of Haruhi (S1, S2 and movie) and all of Lucky Star on DVD from Bandai while they were in print, I'm still very very happy that the licenses to both series got rescued. If Funimation releases Haruhi on Blu-Ray, that would be awesome as well.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I didn't buy Lucky Star back in the day because that was around the time that I was getting pickier with anime. I didn't want to pay $30+ per volume, and I never got around to buying the box set when they released one. I regretted never doing so because I love this show.
terminus24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is easily one of the most exciting announcements for me in a while, read all the Haruhi novels at the beinning of the summer, and I'm glad I'll be able to get the anime soon at a good price.

Also really excited for both the Steins;Gate and Strike Witches movies, I've only seen the Strike Witches movie (and really liked it), but I loved Steins;Gate and have heard great things abot the movie. Can't wait.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Kurama4Ever! wrote:
Gotta say I'm surprised that Funi got Haruhi. I thought if anyone was going to rescue that it would for sure be Sentai.

I am also a bit surprised that Sentai did not get Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star. Perhaps Sentai will pick up Hyouka and Nichijou.

I am also glad that Funimation finally picked up the Steins;Gate movie. I hope they release it in 4-6 moths; I do not want to wait a year.

the-antihero wrote:
Dammit! I was hoping Gundam would be on the list!

That seems like a long shot. I have heard that Sunrise/Bandai wants the company that licenses Gundam to acquire all the series, OVA's and movies. I doubt a single R1 company will pay to license the whole catalog of a franchise that is not that popular over here.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryasha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Raikuro wrote:
If Funi was smart they'd release both Haruhi seasons in one set, but section off the Endless Eight onto one single disc that can easily be thrown out.

Endless Eight is actually not that bad in one sitting. They change the visuals and dialogue enough to keep it from being too repetative, and you don't need to wait weeks inbetween.

One sitting is how I was watching it, and having been warned in advance what was up, figured that I got the flavor after the second re-run and cut to the end ... turning it into the 3ternal Three instead.

If they had made it as the 3ternal Three, there would have been a lot less whinging about it at the time, though then they would have had to write five more episodes.
I always said it should have just been three episodes myself.
Then those extra five episodes could have just been the whole disappearance thing and the movie itself could have been The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya since it was,more or less, a direct sequel to Disappearance.
ajr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
yaaay *waves flag*
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering when Funi would finally get around to releasing the Strike Witches movie, so that is welcome news.

It's surprising to see that Haruhi and Lucky Star were in limbo for so long. Will Funi do some limited editions of Lucky Star and re-release the t-shirts? There's probably a few thousand still sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8