• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
The retcon that Battle Of Gods provides against GT is that in the movie the Pilaf Gang are children, yet in Dragon Ball GT, which would have supposedly took place ten years after Battle Of Gods, they are all very old and there age is actually a minor plot point in the beginning of GT. So unless the Pilaf Gang aged dramatically in ten years, GT really can't exist, or at least the beginning portion of the show never happened.

I can't remember how they got turned into children. Did that happen at the end of Dragon Ball? Either way, Koei is planning more movies, with the next one already having been announced for release next year.

There is plenty of time for Pilaf and his cronies to be un-kidified and returned to their proper ages in the years leading up to the start of GT.

dtm42 wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
The Idea of the baby in Videl's body.

I just assumed that baby was supposed to be Pan.

It is most definitely Pan. A lot of people don't seem to realize that Pan was created by Toriyama and appears in the final two chapters of the manga. She's not an original character created for GT.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I loved this movie! I went and saw it in the theater since it was playing at one that I pass by everyday. I was SUPER excited to just see DBZ on the big screen. It's something I have wanted to do since I was 7 years old.

The theater was PACKED. I seriously thought me and my brother were going to be the only ones there. Boy, was I wrong? It was apparently sold out too (as we witnessed some people turned away at the box office wearing t-shirts with Goku's King Kai emblem).

The whole theater was REALLY enthusiastic about the movie, I've never seen a crowd interact with a film like this. They laughed, clapped, cheered, or all of the above. It made the movie so much more entertaining. The best part was when almost everyone in the theater screamed "KAMEHAMEHA" with Goku after the credits.

The actual movie was really awesome. It was really hilarious, and I loved how the film was more than just "baddie wants revenge on Goku. Goku and friends goof around. Baddie meets Goku and friends. Vegeta or Piccolo show up late to defeat baddie henchmen. Gohan and Krillin remain semi-useful. Oolong is the comic relief. Goku manages to get a final blow in. Final joke. Dramatic shot of Piccolo or Vegeta."

Beerus was actually a very developed character, and making Whis the strongest in the galaxy was a nice touch. Videl's pregnancy was really adorable (though using the unborn child's energy was a little weird). I really just wish we'd see more of Android 18 (one of my all-time favorite characters).

FUNimation did a great job with this film. It's probably the best DBZ has ever sounded. All the characters were on point, and the script was hilarious. Everyone appeared to be having a really good time putting the dub together.

BTW, the only real carry-over from DBZ Kai is Monica Rial as Bulma, who was really good here. I did miss Tiffany Vollmer, but Monica did give a really hilarious performance that fit the character very well. I forgot the voice even changed after a few lines.

However, Meredith McCoy and Brad Jackson voiced Android 18 and Oolong instead of Colleen Clinkenbeard and Bryan Massey respectively (though Colleen still had a role as young Mai). Neither were available for DBZ Kai, but were for this (both moved back to Texas IIRC). I think Vollmer would've possibly returned as well if she been available (she's now a filmmaker and makeup artist in New Orleans). According to FUNi's website, Kyle Hebert also returned as the narrator, but I can't remember a time when he spoke.

Overall, I thought this was a really awesome movie, and I loved watching it in the theater. It truly was an event, and it's an experience I may never forget... until the next movie comes out. Razz

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I would actually go as far as give the story a solid B.

But really, this movie's plot centers around the Pilaf Saga of all things. It felt more like a Dragonball throwback than a DBZ throwback at times.

I hope the action really ramps up with Battle of Gods 2 comes out. They got the setup out of the way with this one. But really, it was a cute and nice throwback.

The credits scene showing the history of Dragonball made me teary eyed.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
@ Shippoyasha & PurpleWarrior13:

Dammit.....! You guys make the experience sound more fun than I had figured it would be. Now I feel dumb for not having gotten around to see it, or planning to have my friends see it with me for that matter. Fudge!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I"m just going to ask flat out did funimatoin's dub mention vegeta's brother tarble or did they skip over him?? He was considered as a possible 5th saiyan that could have been used for the SSJG transformation after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I went to this movie with low expectations, since every other DBZ movie has been pretty much a throwaway, and I was pleasantly surprised. I'm very glad they put an emphasis on the comedy.

The only thing that bothered me about it was the continuity. It takes place 2 years after Buu but Trunks and Goten don't look any older (okay, Saiyans do seem to stay short and then suddenly grow) , but I could have sworn Bra was older than Pan? But she's nowhere to be found in this movie... and with Bulma's copious drinking in this movie we better hope she's not secretly pregnant!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I"m just going to ask flat out did funimatoin's dub mention vegeta's brother tarble or did they skip over him?? He was considered as a possible 5th saiyan that could have been used for the SSJG transformation after all.

No, the 5th saiyan was not him, it was someone else. The movie does not mention Tarble from what I remember.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

No, the 5th saiyan was not him, it was someone else. The movie does not mention Tarble from what I remember.

Actually, Vegeta's brother did get a mention in the FUNimation dub, but I don't think his name was actually said. At one point, a tipsy Bulma scolds Vegeta for not keeping track of where his brother is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I really enjoyed Battle of Gods, and I also thought it was one of the best Dragon Ball Z films that I've seen. Like a couple others have said here, I tend to prefer the tone and feel of the first Dragon Ball series over Dragon Ball Z, so having that feel incorporated into Dragon Ball Z was a refreshing change of pace.

When I went to see it, I also had my son and two older children (ages 16 and 13) with me; my the youngest was off at camp. My kids loved it, and it left such an impression on them that they were quoting lines on the ride home.

At the showing we went to, there wasn't a huge crowd; however, the crowd that was there were all obviously Dragon Ball fans, and everyone was reacting to what was going on a lot. My favorite reaction, though, was from two little kids sitting nearby us, who exclaimed "Dragon Ball!" when the movie started. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Beerus was such a refreshing change of pace after the steady stream of pure evil DBZ villains we've seen over the years. At last we had a main antagonist who wasn't out to commit evil acts just for the heck of it, but instead had a clear purpose behind his morally questionable actions (he's a God tasked with maintaining balance in the Universe through destruction). At the same time, his reveal actually expanded the lore of the series in a compelling direction, something no other DBZ movie villain before him had ever managed to accomplish.

I also immensely enjoyed the comedic side of his personality, along with the lighthearted nature of the movie in general. It really reflects Akira Toriyama's return to his origins as a humorous writer in recent years.

Speaking of which, I highly recommend that Dragon Ball fans, and fans of retro anime in general, pick up the Dr. Slump movie collection Discotek recently put out on Region 1 DVD. They not only provide insight into Toriyama's evolution as a storyteller, but also stand out as entertaining classic romps in their own right. Very Happy

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Which is exactly what FUNi's advertising makes it seem. And maybe that's more the case if you watch the cut version instead of the longer 105 minute one.

Funimation posted several clips from the movie before it hit theaters that highlighted its comedic tone. Anyone who wanted to know what they were getting into had plenty of resources to find out.

angieness wrote:
(and at least the one musical number was kept brief, unlike the ones in some of the other movies. Really, I don't need 3 minutes of Gohan being a kid to some terrible song again.)

Those songs were adorable.

Last edited by ParkerALx on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Actually, Vegeta's brother did get a mention in the FUNimation dub, but I don't think his name was actually said. At one point, a tipsy Bulma scolds Vegeta for not keeping track of where his brother is.

Hmm I figured as much but at least he got mention regardless. The man reason I ask was in hopes of funimation licensing the ova son goku and his friends return. Granted if battle of gods does well for them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Vegeta has some shining moments

Alright, that's enough to make me watch this. Laughing
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote
The Tarble mention was exactly the same as it was in Japanese, which is to say that they don't name him by name. It's just, "Hey, don't you have a brother? / Yeah but whatever he's far away. / Didn't you get his phone number?"

Shueisha streamed the 2008 Jump Super Anime Tour special worldwide with a whole bunch of subtitle selections, and Tarble was included as a playable character in Raging Blast 2 (PS3/360). In addition to just dubbing the scene properly, there was no reason to dance around the line or change it entirely in FUNimation's dub.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

The only thing that bothered me about it was the continuity. It takes place 2 years after Buu but Trunks and Goten don't look any older (okay, Saiyans do seem to stay short and then suddenly grow) , but I could have sworn Bra was older than Pan? But she's nowhere to be found in this movie... and with Bulma's copious drinking in this movie we better hope she's not secretly pregnant!

Oh, it's worse than that...this movie actually takes place 4 years after Boo, so the fact that Trunks and Goten haven't aged is even weirder. I mean, Gohan appeared to age normally, plus the Trunks special showed us what Trunks should look like at 13, just one year older than he is in Battle of Gods. But I think what they were going for with this movie was to present the most familiar forms of these characters to the audience, since it was the first movie in 17 years. I really would have loved to seen updated designs for the boys, though.

The confusion about Bra's age stems from the fact that the official guidebooks for the series accidentally gave two different birth years for her, one making her one year older than Pan, and one making her one year younger. Because of the way Bra looked in GT, many assumed that she was supposed to be older. But this movie establishes once and for all that Bra is younger than Pan. So don't worry about Bulma's drunken antics harming her unborn child, she's still got about a year before she gets pregnant Laughing

The only things that really bother me about this movie are the errors it makes regarding the timeline. The ages both Bulma and Mai state are way off, making them about 7 years younger than they should be. One could say they were lying, but the situations in which they revealed them didn't make it seem like they were (I mean, Kuririn should have known Bulma can't be 38, 'cause that would make her younger than him!) Plus statements Beerus made about when Planet Vegeta was destroyed and whether he was awake don't really add up. But I love this movie overall, and seeing it in a theater with an enthusiastic crowd was a definite highlight of my fandom Very Happy
casualfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Great movie overall. The only downside for me is the Super Saiyan God design feels too simple and bland. I actually prefer the fan version over it. Well it is Toriyama's preference I guess so can't really complain.
I'm also hoping that the next movie takes a darker feel kind of like in Broly or Cooler's movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3