• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - YAS Hands

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Mike already said it all for us so there's not much praise left for us to sing about YAS.

Venus Wars is one of my favorite anime movies of all time for reasons already stated by previous comments. I won't deny it has indeed some narrative hiccups and it would have benefit from some minor adjustments, but I wouldn't say it's deeply flawed like Arion (which I haven't seen yet, just going by the opinions already stated), cause then I wouldn't know what to think about truly flawed anime.

Crusher Joe I didn't enjoy as much but I still think it's a must-see for fans of great animation, creative space combat setpieces and just plain fans of everything good the 80's had to offer. Didn't watch the ovas but probably will soon.

I think Gundam F91 is the biggest culprit of the bunch when we talk about flawed projects, but I still think it's better than many gundam related things that would arrive in the following years and at times it looks even more detailed than CCA. It's nigh impossible but I'd love to see its concept developed into the original series it was always supposed to be; or even better: a proper manga adaptation by YAS. Sadly, he's probably too old for this and there is not a big enough audience to justify this endeavour.

Finally, I hope enough people are buying Gundam: The Origin since it's an outstanding manga even for non-gundam fans. I was really disappointed to find out the soon to be released OVAs adaptation will be about Char instead of properly following the manga.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Venus Wars will always be one of my favorites.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Was Kaze and Zetsuai really that hard to find on tape? The Techno-Girls have had their site and ordering page up for quite some time, it seems only recently some of the pages have started to 404 or give misleading links.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't know Gundam: The Origin was done by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko. I'd always planned on getting it but now I have to expedite the process. I'm a big fan of Crusher Joe and Arion, but put me among those who found Venus Wars very pretty to look at, yet severely lacking in every other department.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:56 am Reply with quote
Venus Wars was ignored as newbie fodder in the 90s.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
I love the man's visuals. "Crusher Joe" is one of my favorites, and probably the most coherent of his big-budget blockbusters. I'm not going to get into Joe vs. Gundam because I have a special card that lets me like both a lot.

I encountered "Venus Wars" in its manga form first, and was let down by the movie for ditching the super-bleak ending. Took me a while to enjoy it for what it is rather than what it isn't. Aside from that out-of-place live footage, the whole thing looks incredible, and moves even better. The manga I recommend highly. There's a less-great second part, too, which follows a character on the opposite side of the conflict.

Yasuhiko's a novelist, too. He penned (and of course illustrated and painted covers for) for a 5-volume SF series about warriors who ride robot horses.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Anime World Order wrote:
The ComicsOne release of the Jesus manga was interesting. It certainly did get released in its entirely 14 years ago in August of 2000, but unlike Joan it never actually made it to print.

That's sound a bit contradictory because you said it had its entire release done but didn't make it to print.

There is no contradiction. As noted in the part of my post you didn't quote, YAS's Jesus manga was not physically printed because it ended up being digital-only. His Joan manga was released in three print volumes. Honestly? I'm not particularly impressed with either of them--they're beautifully drawn, painstakingly dull slogs--and I seem to have the same opinion of many things he wrote or directed.

To me, Yoshikazu Yasuhiko is a much more talented illustrator than he is a writer or director. I've barely put a dent in his Gundam: The Origin manga, but all of the previews for his Gundam: The Origin anime seem like they're covering content which bears no similarity at all to the comics. Perhaps I just need to keep reading, though due to what I just said it takes a little longer than usual to get through.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
osakaedo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
I've barely put a dent in his Gundam: The Origin manga, but all of the previews for his Gundam: The Origin anime seem like they're covering content which bears no similarity at all to the comics. Perhaps I just need to keep reading, though due to what I just said it takes a little longer than usual to get through.

Yeah, the anime is going in a different order. So it is starting with the "original manga content" from volume 5. Which truth be told is chronologically where the story starts.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
The Dirty Pair have a cameo in the Crusher Joe movie using the original YAS' designs from the light novels. Why were the pair redesigned by Tsukasa Dokite for the later anime TV series? It seems odd considering both were animated at Sunrise.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
To me, Yoshikazu Yasuhiko is a much more talented illustrator than he is a writer or director.

As a writer, he's hit or miss for me. Loved the first volume of "Venus Wars" and what I read of "Gundam the Origin," though.

As a director, I agree if you're talking about the work of pulling the whole film together in a coherent whole, but when it comes to the job of creating excitingly choreographed action scenes, nobody does it better / makes me feel sad for the rest.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
YAS Hands, I can't help but laugh at that.

I really enjoyed this column and it does take me back to my old HS days. The days when I started getting into the buzz of more modern day anime shown at clubs, like L-Gaim, MSG, Dirty Pair and whatever OAV/OVA someone managed to get from Japan. YAS, as many know him by his handle and by the way he signs all his artwork, is one of the most phenomenal illustrator of that time. His art still transcends time. You could definitely say, that his name IS synonymous with the Gundam franchise. Despite having different artists over the years, his is the ONLY one that has stood the test of time. Anything Gundam, and you're bound to find an illustration done by him.

I became familiar with YAS through many of the older and now defunct anime publications back in the 80's and 90's. If there were two artist I would be familiar with who had the most distinguishable styles, it was YAS and Mikimoto of Macross fame. Some of the artbooks that I own for various shows have work by YAS and NOB (Nobuteru). Another reknown artist who signs his name using three letters. And then there's TOS (short for Toshihiro Hirano of Dangaioh fame). I knew knew that the signature was YAS until someone told me. I began to see it so clearly. His illustrations were always so breath taking. I never knew what medium he used other than hear it from those that have either met him or knew people that knew him. But his style is displays such vast amount of colors and layers that you find in watercolor type paintings. Like chiseled colors against sunset skyline. His work in 'Joan' is testament of that. I definitely wanted to get something by him for th collection. Mind you the books are beautiful, as what you'd expect from YAS. Our copies had to be rebound because the binding is so poor and they've circulated quite a bit. If you're a YAS fan, you'll definitely want them provided you can track them down. I've never thought any less of YAS' work, but now that it's 2014, you hardly hear much from him. But reading this column shows that he's still a wanted man.

The film Arion, I had seen this film during the tape trading days. I always wanted to know what this film was about. It's been decades now, and there's a film that definitely deserves a release from Discotek. I never knew there was an earlier work of 'Arion'. I wonder if that is floating around somewhere to view for comparison to the 80's version. At first hearing that I did get confused, but after reading I was unaware of how the 'Arion' film we all know of got it's roots. I have never seen any of his earlier works. I didn't know that he was involved with the Little Prince, yet I've watched that show ever Saturday (or Sunday) morning it aired in the states. I never saw 'Giant Gorg', yet I have magazines featuring shots from the show. As for Venus Wars, that may be one I have to pull off the shelves here and take a look. I remember seeing a bit of it long before it was picked up for license. I hadn't a clue what the feature was about and it didn't really hold my interest, as I'm not really a big fan of sci-fi films like these, but I've somehow matured into viewing these additions to anime history. I finally sat down after all these years and watched Gundam-Z, just to see what everyone who were into it were seeing. I've never watched Crusher Joe, didn't even know what the story was about other than him being a space pirate of sorts. It was the rage and folks that did tape trading never stopped talking about how awesome it was. I did see the prison planet feature (raw). But it seems when you bring up these OVAs to some fans they'll tell you that they "were good", but the movie was the best. When it was finally released on DVD the only time I manage to bother buying it was when it was almost out of print. And I think that was when Justin did a column on it some years back. Funny that we're revisiting this title, but with the talented hands behind it. I manage to score a copy. So I'm definitely going to have to put that on my list of things to watch now. That set definitely has to make it back into print. As for his Dirty Pair, definitely different from what fans were used to back in the days. I found it hard accepting YAS' illustration over the anime version. Then I heard the story. Again I never knew of the roots behind Dirty Pair.

I'll end on a note, I'd be curious to see that 'White Fang' that he worked on. It's funny that there was an anime for 'Flight of the White Wolf', which I have read. I can see why it's so easy to get these two mixed up since they both deal with a white wolf. As soon as you gave a summary, I began to remember. We really need to one days see these films picked up. Hopefully Discotek will become big enough that it will happen. But yes, YAS is the man.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2