• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nintendo Sales Down 8% in 2nd Quarter Despite Mario Kart 8

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Profits are still there, but at this point it seems like home console hardware is a bug for Nintendo, not a feature.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
That's a real shame. Nintendo is really in my good books lately and I hope they get it going but I can't deny that there just doesn't seem to be much of a market for the Wii U. We can hope that Smash Bros will change that but obviously that was everyone was hoping about Mario Kart. It's seeming increasingly likely that there's just not much they can do at this point.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
Yeah I knew Mario Kart 8 couldn't help Nintendo that much, and yet sales continue to decline. This doesn't look promising. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Now awaiting the chorus of people repeating the same "Nintendo should become a third party or they'll be out of business in no time" nonsense we've been hearing since the Gamecube era.
Cyphin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
Those dates are for the 3DS version. As far as I know, a date for the WiiU has not been announced yet.
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Now awaiting the chorus of people repeating the same "Nintendo should become a third party or they'll be out of business in no time" nonsense we've been hearing since the Gamecube era.

It's far more telling that people are still talking about Nintendo, while a certain third company is always strangely absent in these articles and reports. Sony VS Nintendo sales, Sony VS Nintendo profits.. wasn't there somebody else in the room as well? Someone who actually was competing for the same audience Sony was, which Nintendo was not? Hm, I guess not..
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
All talk from the outside looking in.
Yen50414

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
Second quarter isn't over yet, am I missing something? Didn't they just release first quarter stuff like last month?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:33 am Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

It's far more telling that people are still talking about Nintendo, while a certain third company is always strangely absent in these articles and reports. Sony VS Nintendo sales, Sony VS Nintendo profits.. wasn't there somebody else in the room as well? Someone who actually was competing for the same audience Sony was, which Nintendo was not? Hm, I guess not..

Yes, I'm pretty sure nobody on the internet has ever said anything about Microsoft's slow sales. Super unfair.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:52 am Reply with quote
I always like the defense that Nintendo is fighting for the same audience that the others are fighting for. When asked what audience Nintendo is fighting for, there is never an answer given.

Though in the end I guess Nintendo being a console maker is in fact not fighting for the audience of people looking for a game console. Which is the audience the other console manufacturers are looking for. Sure they may attempt to offer things that may tip into the audience also looking for a home theater system, but at the end of the day they are all fighting for that tv room. It's just the others may have things not related to games that tip the balance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote
I really fail to see how Nintendo moving out of consoles, but staying in handhelds plus making 3rd party games is a nonsensical viewpoint. Despite the success of sales with the original Wii, it already was lagging about a generation behind (and this is not even a subjective argument, its a fact the technically the Wii was inferior to the PS3 and 360), but sales masked it flaws. So its not like this is only about the Wii U. In fact Nintendo has on pretty much every console since the SNES. The 64 had basically no jrpgs, despite this being some of the greatest games of the SNES era, which also helped Sony arrive on the PS1 with titles like FF7,8,9, Chrono Cross, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profiles, Suikoden, etc. The gamecube was solid, but started the trend of Nintendo being labeled as the family console, not to mention Nintendo pulled support for the console only a couple of years into the game, I don't think any console has lost support from its own maker faster than the gamecube, and its almost shocking they end up bothering with Twilight Princess on the gamecube.

I enjoy the 3ds, and I like to play Zelda and Metroid, but I haven't been awed by a Nintendo console is a long time. I'm not asking the company to fail or anything or stopping producing products, but realistically they might be better of downsizing consoles and focusing on games and handhelds.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I always like the defense that Nintendo is fighting for the same audience that the others are fighting for. When asked what audience Nintendo is fighting for, there is never an answer given.

Though in the end I guess Nintendo being a console maker is in fact not fighting for the audience of people looking for a game console. Which is the audience the other console manufacturers are looking for. Sure they may attempt to offer things that may tip into the audience also looking for a home theater system, but at the end of the day they are all fighting for that tv room. It's just the others may have things not related to games that tip the balance.

The target audience for Nintendo consoles are people who like Nintendo IP's and usually don't care for 3rd party games to much. The main reason being?? Most Nintendo console owners own a secondary console to play games that the system is not getting or own gaming pc.

Personally I'm buying a wii-u this year because of all the exclusive titles the system has now and is going to get later. None of these said games are getting ports on any other platform including pc so that's a seller for me.

Am I disappointed Nintendo is doing so poorly right now?? Yes I'm truly sad at this state of affairs. I hate to see company that has brought me so much joy over the years failing right now.

Now Is this Nintendo's fault?? Your damn right it is for not aggressively marketing the device on t.v. and social network sites. All Nintendo needs to do is explain what the wii-u is/can do.
1. A brand new system that with a new library of games and is fully backwards compatible with all of your older wii games.
2. All of your wii accessories such as controllers will work with the wii-u
3. You can transfer all of your digital virtual console games you bought on the wii to the wii-u.

That's all I can really say or have been saying for quite some time now. Any Thoughts??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

Because Microsoft is not a Japanese-based company. But yes, Microsoft is the only one of those 3 that is not in the red - if you must know, its Q2 profit is $4.6bn (in reference, current market caps of Nintendo is $15.07bn and Sony is $17.91bn).

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Obligatory: Nintendo should stop making hardware and just make games for other systems since it seems like they can't make a relevant console if their lives depended on it.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Because Microsoft is not a Japanese-based company. But yes, Microsoft is the only one of those 3 that is not in the red - if you must know, its [url=/news/business-28430656]Q2 profit is $4.6bn[/url] (in reference, current market caps of [url=/investing/stock/ntdoy]Nintendo is $15.07bn[/url] and [url=/investing/stock/sne]Sony is $17.91bn[/url]).

I don't think it's very good comparison given Microsoft is more than just the Xbox so it can supplement any loss from the Xbox division from elsewhere. That's essentially how they were able to enter the console market in the first place while other companies died off since they didn't have that safety net.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Now Is this Nintendo's fault?? Your damn right it is for not aggressively marketing the device on t.v. and social network sites. All Nintendo needs to do is explain what the wii-u is/can do.

I think most gamers know what the Wii U can do, it's just they don't care. I don't see what more Nintendo could do. People know about the console and everything, it's just Nintendo only appeals to Nintendo fans. There's not much else to do. The Wii was the exception, where as the Gamecube and N64, and now the Wii U are the rule. Nintendo has never beaten Sony outside the Wii.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3