• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comedian/Actor Robin Williams Passes Away at 63

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
I too thought this news was fake when I say it earlier today. I had to see it on like 5 reliable news outlets before I believed it.

I also thought "passes away" was reserved for people dying peacefully in their sleep and such? Guess I've been wrong my whole life; from what I've read he did not "pass away" by that definition.

He will be greatly missed. I havnt really enjoyed him in anything recently but he was never a character I disliked at all. Man also had great tastes in anime and video games. I also hear he was a really good father to his kids. A friend of mine met him once and said he was super friendly and humble. My favorite roles of his were the ones where he played a loving X, like Mrs.Doubtfire. His serious roles are also pretty underrated by most people. I wouldn't say he was diverse in his acting but he always felt like his own characters.
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
Rest in peace. My favorite role of his was the Genie from Aladdin. One of my friends who was a huge fan of him showed me some clips of his stand up comedy a few hours after the news of his death. I can't believe that I somehow haven't seen more of his roles and comedy routines! Although I wasn't very familiar with him, his death still had an impact on me.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:25 am Reply with quote
Nooooooooo! Way too early, you know. R.I.P
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:55 am Reply with quote
I'll drink this next one and remember you, my friend.
CrankyOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:56 am Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
See you later, Mr. Williams.

I see what you did there cowboy!
victor viper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:13 am Reply with quote
I'd completely forgotten about the Eva references in One Hour Photo, particularly the significance of the Eva figure in the movie. According to Wikipedia, the Eva figure used in the movie was from Williams' personal collection.

It was pretty shocking to see the news that Williams was gone (I learned of it watching SportsCenter of all things). The world has lost a brilliant actor.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
It is amazing on how much of an impact he left on the world from his humorous and down to earth personality. I have never seen a celebrity death hit so many people hard, myself included. Even famous Youtubers like Tobuscus cried on one of his vlogs; he said he felt like he lost a family member. I am incline to agree and have shed tears for whom I considered to be my childhood friend. The news was so shocking to me that I was strongly hoping that it was just a tasteless joke. But I was devastated to find out that it was real.....

Robin Williams has been a favorite of mine since I was a child. I was there for when things like Aladdin first came out in theaters and had the privilege of going to see it on the big screen with my family. The way he can change his voice into anything he wanted was magical and fascinating to me. His role as Mrs.Doubtfire was the best thing I had ever seen from him due to the fact he was able to pull off an old British lady swimmingly. He was brilliant, talented, and just bursting with positive energy.

It makes me extremely sad to hear that he took his own life due to severe depression. He made so many people in the world happy, and yet he was unable to be happy himself.

My condolences to his family and friends. His legacy will live on and I will never forget all the smiles he gave me.

See you later, Cowboy. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
To quote my favorite Robin Williams movie...

See you soon.

Anime cry.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quote
What sad news today. He was such an integral part in my movie favorites as an adolescent. I don't know how many times I've watched Dead Poets Society, Thoreau was on all my school books. The way he supposedly died makes it so much more tragic. May his family find a way to deal with their loss.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
Rest in peace Crying or Very sad
TheMagickHat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
When I first heard the news, first thing I did was find my copy of "Toys" (one of my favorite movies starring him) and watched through the "Barrel of Laughs Funeral" scene. Someone should do that for Robin Williams' funeral, if only because he'd probably find it an amusing gag.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
My heart goes out to his family.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
he starred in two Legend of Zelda commercials with his daughter, Zelda Williams, whom he named after the game.

I remember those. At the time, I had no idea what his daughter's name was...so I had to go out and check if it was real. Honestly, thought that the ad was a joke.

Sad that he has now gone. Will always remember him for roles from my childhood. Probably the two that are still burned in my brain are Mrs. Doubtfire and his role as Genie in Aladdin.

Most recently, I was enjoying The Crazy Ones. He really was the highlight of that show.
se37

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
When I heard about the news it shocked me so much that everyone around me were shocked about it. I couldn't believe that Robin Williams was gone. I grew up watching his shows and movies. Typically a death like this wouldn't affect me except this time it did since I knew him so well. His comedy CD was the first Stand Up Comedy CD I ever brought since I knew him so well.

It was only a few months ago when we were talking about his earlier rolls in my film class so yeah, this one really hit me hard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote
man, this year has STUNNED me in terms of the body count it has had. Bob Hoskins, Harold Ramis, Eli Wallach, Phillips Seymour Hoffman, Rik Mayall and now this. Fare thee well, Robin. You had a gift that made millions laugh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6