• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Accel World Novel 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galaxy-Liger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree that this show is unjustly hated on by many viewers of anime, but can you not ignorantly think all western fans think that way. I live in Iowa and Gundam Seed, & AW are 2 of my favorite anime/manga/novels. Why not just leave it at "people" hate on it, because your just putting up unnecessary hate onto this thread. Sorry for ranting.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Still I totally get why a character like Kirito would be super popular for the same reason characters like Kira Yamato are popular (in Japan at least) though cause he's pretty much just everything otaku wish they could be in a very modern and current package (he plays games but that's about the extent of his personality and development beyond "he's the hero", though most people probably don't care about that part and would just stop at the part about him playing games which makes him relatable in a very basic sense) without any of the downsides really. ...

You totally don't get it. Characters like Kira, Kirito have tons of female fans. This is not even about otaku. Good looking and being awesome always sell in any media. I challenge hollywood to not use good looking male and female leads in any movie. They should totally only use fat, short and ugly people as the lead in all the movies.

The only reason people still love AW because of Snow Black. It has nothing to do with the story. make her fat and short too, the viewers will drop even more.

If this http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100806015717/uncyclopedia/images/2/25/Profoundly-ugly-woman.jpg is the female lead in the new movie Lucy, i wonder how many people will love the movie.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
It's not like it's an inherently ugly design, it's just Eric Cartman, a design that's cartoonish, but not ugly per se. I'm sensing self-projection from a lot of the people that hate the character.
Julliant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Daru from Steins;Gate is fat. Edward from FMA is short. There are plenty of other short protagonists too, such as Musashi from Brave Fencer Musashi. Peter Dinklage has acted as a few respectable dwarf characters (Game of Thrones/X-Men).

Haru is unlikable because he's drawn like a South Park character and does not bear any likeable characteristics.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
LOL, it's just really is silly. I find the majority of anime watchers can always find a reason to hate on a character without even a solid reason as to why that character is hate-able aside from the usual excuses such as: The character is too annoying, whiny, etc. so it's not really a new thing to me. But there are a lot of the hates I don't understand also. For example, Inaho from Aldnoah.Zero and Tatsuya from MKnR are hated for being emotionless and "OP". But then everyone praise the great Levi for being emotionless and well, "OP". Is there a reason to this strange thing? Or is it just because people like to jump on bandwagons because they think it makes them look cool? I don't know. But then people will drop or under-rate a show just because of its characters are just silly. Yes, the characters are important in the shows, however, it's not justify to just list the show as bad because the characters are. Aldnoah.Zero is very underrated this season because of this but it has one of the interesting story than other anime that are rated high this season. The same can be say of MKnR but people are too busy judging the characters instead. Final words, I think that making reviews before the anime is finished is just a silly thing. There are always room for improvement. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing first impressions on things but don't go judge something before you even finish it. It's just not giving the shows the attention it deserved.
ragz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Who cares that Haru is fat or not...

The reviewer found Kuroyukihime annoying blows my mind.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
I look forward to reading this. I am curious about how it compares to the anime version. I like that the MC isn't quite as cartoon like in the prose. I always wondered if the MC's appearance in the anime wasn't some sort of "self-image" thing, where we were seeing him as he saw himself. If they would have altered his appearance slightly as he gained self-confidence and reverted back when he had set backs that would have cemented that concept. (Of course, if they did that there would be a group of people clamoring about how bad the character animation was because of all of the times it went "off-model". Doing something like that subtly will lead to people not understanding what they did and trashing it, doing it overtly would lead to people complaining about the lack of subtlety. It would be a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation really...)

I don't have that big of problem with the characters being unlikable. There are plenty of good stories full of unlikable characters. Heck, there are plenty of real-life situations full of unlikable people! If the story is good, I don't mind the characters being hard to love. If the author starts with unlikable characters and makes you love them, that just makes the story that much better. (See Golden Time, Kouko in particular, for a prime example of that, for me at least.)

EDIT: I decided to add a comment about the following:
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Kuroyukihime's “maturity” mostly comes off as fairly purple prose and her habit of calling Haru “boy” is quite irritating, as is Haru's need to be subservient to her, even when he realizes his feelings for her.

I will be curious to find out if I find the characterization of Kuroyukihime to be too over-the-top the way that Rebecca did. My initial reaction to this comment was that it sounds like it is an exaggeration of the standard "sempai/kouhai" or "master/protégé" relationship that is common in the genre combined with a standard "school princess" formal manner of speech. Since Haru's relationship to Kurhyukihime falls under both of those categories and Kuroyukihime is the school princess, it fits. I have to wonder if it isn't a problem of translating from Japanese. There isn't really a direct analog to the "formal" manner of speaking in Japanese that is subtle. In cases where the characters are using the more polite, formal manner of speaking the translations frequently come across as stilted and stiff in English. Over and over you see a character say something like, "Why so formal?" when the translation doesn't really portray the difference between formal and casual manners of speaking. I suspect that this is part of what is going on with Kuroyukihime's speech patterns.

Not that it isn't possible to do it well. For instance, the translations, in both light novel and anime form, of Holo's speech patterns in Spice and Wolf do a good job of depicting the difference in the way she speaks as opposed to others. (Brina Palencia does a wonderful job of using intonation to assist the prose, mind you.) In that case it is not the formal/casual distinction, but an archaic dialect. It is a similar challenge, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2