• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dr. Slump: The Movies [Films 1-5] Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I am soooooooo happy that Discotek gave Slump a chance, and put this out! I hope it sells well enough to warrant more Dr. Slump releases from them, at least the rest of the movies, if not the TV shows.

I think Carl may have a point that stuff would definitely be lost on those not familiar with the series, but when you read his loving description of what goes on in these movies, how could you not be curious?? Very Happy

I would be very interested to hear from people not familiar with the series who decided to check these out (if they're out there) about their thoughts. It's possible that the fun visuals and insanity of it all might still be appealing, I mean that's part of the series initial success anyway, right? Perhaps while some details would be confusing, the overall feel to the show would be compelling enough to make new fans seek out the manga (or future anime releases Cool )? I dunno, I may just be to close to tell!
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, I didn't even know this was out yet.

I just finished viz's release of the manga last month and loved it in all its poop riddled silliness. Ill have to get this next chance i get.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I've only watched two movies in the set so far, and they made me laugh and smile so much. It's just such a wildly imaginative outing that it's impossible not to enjoy. Although I'm not sure I'd say I liked them as much as the manga (I think there's something in particular about the sound production that doesn't quite live up to the visuals on the screen) but all the same, it's wonderful to see an anime filled with so much lovable quirkiness. I wonder if, when I go through the other movies, it'll have a similar evolution in quality like the manga did --- the manga I think kind of started off with a sort of strange/unsure feel to it, that became a lot more refined and charming as the series hit its stride. Anywho, I really recommend this set, it's fun and weird and lovable, and definitely worth a watch.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Going to order this set as soon as Archonia gets it in stock, I'd love to check them out. Nice review as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
saiyajedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
The review wrote:
It was a bon-a-fide hit

Bona fide (Latin: "with good faith", i.e. "genuine" or "legitimate").

Excellent review, though. I'm looking forward to picking this set up, even though I don't currently have a DVD player that plays Region 1 discs. Still have to show my support for the franchise so maybe we can get the show someday!
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
dbboxkaifan on the Kanzenshuu forum confirmed it worked in his region 2 UK player, and I subsequently tried it in my region 4 Australian one (I initially would've assumed it wouldn't work and would've just used my laptop) and it worked in there. So it seems the disc is actually region free!

(Same goes for their Lupin III releases when I tried those shortly after.)
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I wonder if, when I go through the other movies, it'll have a similar evolution in quality like the manga did --- the manga I think kind of started off with a sort of strange/unsure feel to it, that became a lot more refined and charming as the series hit its stride.

One thing I noticed as the films went on was the actual quality of the production improving. The first movie is pretty scrappy, but over the course of 5 movies, they evolve into something a lot more similar to what I remember from watching the DBZ movies.

Perhaps not the pinnacle of animated movies, but still a big improvement from that first film. Movies 4 and 5 use a lot of "special effects" for light sources and things that I remember fondly from the DB/Z movies especially. Movie 5 has a really neat effect for those spoiler[crayon monsters] that I loved.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:57 am Reply with quote
Just got em still gotta watch it but but i really want that 80's tv series !!! and so far it doesn't seem like it's ever gonna happen in this century .... I even feel like Fuimation could easily take it and a portion of there DragonBall fanbase will buy it right ?
But rereleasing DBZ 500 times still makes more money ... Rolling Eyes
Felis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
I've been interested in Dr. Slump for a while now because of it's connection to Dragon Ball, but I wasn't sure if I should get this or not. I know nothing about this show outside of what I have seen of Arale in Dragon Ball. However, after reading this review I think I will give it a chance. I'll buy it from Right Stuf during the next time it's on sale.
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote
I'd say that one advantage that this set has for Dragon Ball fans is that as most of the movies are action-genre parodies, they do feel a bit more like silly DB movies than the pure slapstick of the Slump TV series (which also occasionally delves into those genre parodies).

Also, the series has similar music, shares many voice actors (especially for side characters), and is coming from the same era of animation from the same studio. So, it has a lot of things that give it a similar feel to Dragon Ball.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
Seeing as how I recently became a fan of the series (I've loved what I read from the manga voulmes I've bought sofar, it reminds me of the shoddy comics I'd make up and staple together when I was 8) I'll try and get these at some point. I really like the kind of silliness series like this have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1