• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PlayStation 4 Reaches 10 Million Units Sold Worldwide

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah read about it on several Playstation websites (both official and unofficial), good job Sony. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
Man, what are people playing on it? I'm waiting for it to get some games.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
Now that they've fixed the biggest problem with it (no 3D Blu-ray??), I might actually be seen in public buying one.
Figured, sooner or later, they'd get around to that one reason for them to exist. Razz
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
I'm waiting for some good JP action games or rpgs before buying one Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

Since somebody asked that before, here's a quick list youths play or plan to play on the PS4:

• Let's start with sports games. FIFA World Cup just finished, so there's FIFA 2014. MLB is going on, so there's MLB 14: The Show. And when the new seasons of football, basketball, hockey, etc. They're into UFC now more than boxing, so there's that too.

Then there are the AAA games like inFAMOUS Second Son, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Watch Dogs, and Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Then there'd be games like Destiny, The Elder Scrolls Online, Alien: Isolation, next iteration of Battlefield and C.O.D. and Assassin's Creed, etc.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:58 am Reply with quote
I've still to get one. I will, probably after FIFA15 is released (which is usually around Oct). FIFA and Kingdom Hearts 3 are the only games that I can think of that I'd be getting for the PS4 as things stand.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:49 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:

Since somebody asked that before, here's a quick list youths play or plan to play on the PS4:

• Let's start with sports games. FIFA World Cup just finished, so there's FIFA 2014. MLB is going on, so there's MLB 14: The Show. And when the new seasons of football, basketball, hockey, etc. They're into UFC now more than boxing, so there's that too.

Then there are the AAA games like inFAMOUS Second Son, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Watch Dogs, and Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Then there'd be games like Destiny, The Elder Scrolls Online, Alien: Isolation, next iteration of Battlefield and C.O.D. and Assassin's Creed, etc.

Yeah people seem to act like multi plat games don't exist when it comes to these ps4 vs one arguments. Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein are really good games. Then like you said Destiny, Evil Inside, Diablo III are coming out. Last of Us remastered just game out, with Metro Redux dropping soon as well, and quite a few people still haven't played either of these.

As far as jrpgs Natural Doctrine and Akhiba will be out within a few months. FF 14 is also out as well.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:

Oh and let's not forget The Last of us: Remastered, and now the upcoming game, The Order: 1886.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
My son was playing the beta of Destiny, looks to be quite the game.

I am hoping the The Order: 1886 will come to PC eventually.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Lol mine plays FFARR that's about it for now Razz
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:

Since somebody asked that before, here's a [url=/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4318022#4318022]quick list[/url] youths play or plan to play on the PS4:

So just sports games and shooters? Wow, is that all gamers really want these days and justifies 10 million sales? Where's the variety? Gaming today is way different than when I grew up.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Yeah people seem to act like multi plat games don't exist when it comes to these ps4 vs one arguments.

Only exclusive games matter in console debates. Saying the One is better than the PS4 because it plays Game X is folly because the PS4 also plays Game X. All you can judge a console on is its exclusives since that's the only thing it does that the competitors don't. Games you can play other places are not a selling point of a console.

Hojo 360 wrote:
Lol mine plays FFARR that's about it for now

That's about the only game that appeals to me for the PS4 right now, but I play that on the PC already. I'm holding off from a PS4 until Japan releases stuff for it. I'm happy with my PS3 and Wii U right now.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
That's about the only game that appeals to me for the PS4 right now, but I play that on the PC already. I'm holding off from a PS4 until Japan releases stuff for it. I'm happy with my PS3 and Wii U right now.

WHEN KH3 comes out, I'll start thinking about it, but as it is, I've only just started to collect my old PS3 disks (the KH and FFX upgrades), and the "No backwards compatibility" isn't helping.
Even in the old days, I'd gotten one of the last 60G Fats, and PS2 backwards compatibility came in handy during the early stages.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:

Since somebody asked that before, here's a [url=/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4318022#4318022]quick list[/url] youths play or plan to play on the PS4:

So just sports games and shooters? Wow, is that all gamers really want these days and justifies 10 million sales? Where's the variety? Gaming today is way different than when I grew up.

First of all, did you just lump all the sports together? Just because they're sports doesn't mean they're the same. If you're a fan of one or some sports, are you a fan of every sport? Just because one likes futbol doesn't mean one likes baseball. They all play differently - some vastly differently the only similarity they have at all is they're sports. And yes, there are many sports game players when you add up all the different sports games together. (And that's not any different from gaming of days past - there are always sports games players.) That's like saying Japan is nothing but RPGs - yet RPG itself has many varieties.

Also, how many of those are shooters? Are you counting anything that has a gun a shooter? Or first-person point-of-view automatically a shooter?

Lastly, you only asked what could account for 10 million sales. Those are the games that could explain much of that. You didn't ask what all people play, so don't now start treating it that that's all the games people play. There are always lower-selling games that, though may not have anything to do with each other at all, when lumped together form a good portion, including PSN games.

Fedora-san wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Yeah people seem to act like multi plat games don't exist when it comes to these ps4 vs one arguments.

Only exclusive games matter in console debates. Saying the One is better than the PS4 because it plays Game X is folly because the PS4 also plays Game X. All you can judge a console on is its exclusives since that's the only thing it does that the competitors don't. Games you can play other places are not a selling point of a console.

Not necessarily. Even same games may look significantly better on one console (for example, PS4) or may play significantly better on another console (for example, Xbox Live). So it could still matter depending on how one likes to play cross-platform games.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
"Gaming today is different then when I grew up". AKA. People like things I don't like.

And it is'nt. Sports games were always the big sellers on consoles. Also were shooters. Whatever that means though I think when you people use it, it means any western game with a gun. Those were always popular.

And while the PS4 is not some bastion of new games and tons of variety. There are still plenty of good games. It is also stupid to ignore digital games of which the PS4 has many like Transistor. Thanks to PSN, there are plenty of games that add to the variety the system has.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4