• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PlayStation 4 Reaches 10 Million Units Sold Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a fair statement to lump those kinds of games together. Both shooters and sports usually have yearly installments and focus more on the multiplayer aspect of the title than any kind of story or characters. Sports games especially given they just use real teams and athletes. There's sports games like Inazuma Eleven which do focus on the story and characters in addition to the sport, but those seem limited to only Japan.

I suppose that's why I'm not too into them. I prefer single player games, with a nice story and characters, and the kind of games that are big here in the states these days are all multiplayer focused. Hopefully the PS4 gets stuff like that once it picks up in Japan. Japan seems to produce a lot more diverse and unique games and don't mind experimenting more so I'm eager to see what they do with the system.

-Stuart Smith
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
God the ignorance on display in every video game thread in regards to non Japanese games is always so staggering.

There are two "shooter" series that are on a yearly basis. Call of Duty and now Battlefield. That's it and since you've decided that shooter is anything with a gun that means basically 1% of the genre comes out every year. How is that at all make for the genre having usual yearly installments.

Notice no one here ever gives Gust crap for thier yearly installments. No this critique is only bad in regards to western games. So it's clearly not the practice people have a problem with.

If so what is it? The people who like these games don't have a problem with them and since it's doubtful the detractors play them it can't be a quality issue.

It really simply is "i don't like that these games are popular". Which is such a childish point of view.

And it's almost like none of the people here who critique these games actually play them or pay attention to them. Many shooters actually have decent single player campaigns. Entsoul's list of games was filled mostly with games with a single player focus. Even the new CoD and BF haven't treated thier single player as an after thought, but sure just ignore that because it's a shooter and therefor bad right?

And really where are all these unique and experimental Japanese games? They sure weren't on the PS3 last gen. Where have they all been. Where have all the great single player Japanese games with these supposedly amazing games.

Seriously, can any of you make your extreme bias here less apparent. It's almost pathetic.

"Yes there's been no western games with good storytelling and western games lack variety and experimentation."

Says a weeboo who for some reason decides to narrow mindly put every game in one genre and then ignore all the indies or smaller produced digital titles put out the entire gen. For some reason those don't count.

Meanwhile this weeboo chooses to ignore any argument the levels that Japanese gaming on consoles especially has been far too safe this gen and declining.

Seriously, any ANN thread about video games is laughably pathetic because of certain characters who feel the need to crap on anything they simply aren't into. You don't have to like everything, but posting willingly disingenuous comments about stuff you don't like is quite sickening.

And it's funny that in the end this cry for variety simply just means "I just want Japanese games", because if you were a champion for variety you'd also enjoy quality western games of which there are many.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:39 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the PS4 is "just" shooters and sports games according to ANN's local Japansturbator collective. Of course, if the PS4 "just" had RPGs and action games they'd all be creaming themselves over it so I'd go ahead and take that with a grain of salt. Apply sufficiently broad terms, ignore a few counterexamples outright (Infamous? Knack?) and you can reduce almost anything to "just [blank] and [blank].

Mind you, they're not wrong at least in so far as their conclusion goes. There's little real reason to buy a PS4 right now. Or a XBO. And Wii U is just finally getting to that point which sounds about right since it is coming up on 2 years old. As a rule, it's never worth buying a system within a year of launch unless you have the money to burn. You might as well just wait a year.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I am hoping the The Order: 1886 will come to PC eventually.

Not going to happen, it's a Sony first party game.

Really looking forward to this game.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

I think it's a fair statement to lump those kinds of games together. Both shooters and sports usually have yearly installments and focus more on the multiplayer aspect of the title than any kind of story or characters.

That's not even what we're talking about. He's not lumping shooters and sports together - he's just lumping sports together.

But my point was that sports is a special kind of genre. Typically, if one likes a certain game genre, one would like to play the best games of that genre. But sports it's different - a futbol sports fan is not necessarily a football sports fan, or vice versa. No matter how best the FIFA or Madden game is, if you're not fan of a sport, you won't play the game - even though you're a sports fan.

So sports genre might as well be separate genres with separate fandoms, each with its own variety of gameplay unlike any of the others, that can't necessarily be lumped together. And generally, sports fans like to play other players because, in essence, they'd like to create their own stories, instead of stories created to them.

Stuart Smith wrote:

Japan seems to produce a lot more diverse and unique games and don't mind experimenting more so I'm eager to see what they do with the system.

If you're into diverse and variety of games, then you should be playing any type of games, whether single-player or multiplayer, story-focused or creating your own stories, first-person POV or platforming, RPG or sports, whether it's made in Japan or elsewhere, etc. Now that's experimenting. Smile

Last edited by enurtsol on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Not necessarily. Even same games may look significantly better on one console (for example, PS4) or may play significantly better on another console (for example, Xbox Live). So it could still matter depending on how one likes to play cross-platform games.

I think when people start resorting to that they're just looking for any pull they can get to laud their system as being better. Nitpicking and gasping at straws to find that little detail no one but people with something to prove care about. I care more about the games themselves than a few pixel differences. Is it really a selling point if this year's Call of Duty runs three frames-per-second more on one system? Or is it just an excuse to continue the console war thing.

ikillchicken wrote:
Yeah, the PS4 is "just" shooters and sports games according to ANN's local Japansturbator collective. Of course, if the PS4 "just" had RPGs and action games they'd all be creaming themselves over it so I'd go ahead and take that with a grain of salt. Apply sufficiently broad terms, ignore a few counterexamples outright (Infamous? Knack?) and you can reduce almost anything to "just [blank] and [blank].

Infamous falls into GTA clone genre Similar to Watchdogs, Saints Row, Just Cause, all those games. Not really diverse either.

I agree though, it's precisely why I've yet to pick up a PS4. And to be honest it seems 99% of the hypemachine games that come out these days are shooters. I'm still upset party-based RPGS died off in the west and don't get made anymore outside of Bioware. And Bioware's outings the last few years have been pretty bad. It's a real shame RPGs are dead in America.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Infamous falls into GTA clone genre Similar to Watchdogs, Saints Row, Just Cause, all those games. Not really diverse either.

Infamous is an action game about a superhero with a heavy focus on climbing. It is not a shooter and there are literally no drivable vehicles. It has precisely as much in common with GTA or Watchdogs or Saints Row as goddam Dark Souls does. I mean, are you even being serious here? You're like a parody but it doesn't seem to be intentional.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:35 am Reply with quote
Then there's Minecraft, which is a GTA clone as well because it too is a sandbox game. Yep, both games are totally similar, no originality in Minecraft at all.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:36 am Reply with quote
At this point you should just say all JRPGS are the same.

Persona falls into the category of Final Fantasy clones just like Grandia, Xenosaga, and Wild Arms. All those games are the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
And Bioware's outings the last few years have been pretty bad. It's a real shame RPGs are dead in America.

Both my daughter and I are looking forward to Dragon Age: Inquisition when it ships in November. We'll be playing either the PC or PS3 versions, though. The lack of backward compatibility in the PS4 makes it a show-stopper for the moment.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Infamous is an action game about a superhero with a heavy focus on climbing. It is not a shooter and there are literally no drivable vehicles. It has precisely as much in common with GTA or Watchdogs or Saints Row as goddam Dark Souls does

The powers replace the guns and cars. You literally shoot blasts over the shoulder with a crosshair reticle that looks like the one in GTA, only instead of ammo you have energy. Though the enemies still use guns. But you're really gasping at straws if you think it's not meant to be in the same category as GTA or influenced by it. Millions of people have drawn the comparison and admit to it, and you trying to insist it's different just to prove something isn't going to convince anyone.

dtm42 wrote:
Then there's Minecraft, which is a GTA clone as well because it too is a sandbox game. Yep, both games are totally similar, no originality in Minecraft at all.

That's a really out of place strawman. Minecraft doesn't take place in a modern city in a third person perspective where you go around killing pedestrians. It's a building block game which has spawned it's own legion of clones and knock-offs.

yuna49 wrote:
Both my daughter and I are looking forward to Dragon Age: Inquisition when it ships in November. We'll be playing either the PC or PS3 versions, though. The lack of backward compatibility in the PS4 makes it a show-stopper for the moment.

Even if you like their work still, Bioware is still literally the only company that makes them anymore. In fact, if you go by some developer talks, they're part of the reason no publisher wants to make them anymore. Except for Japan, obviously, but I'm referring to the western industry.

Everything these days are usually create-an-avatar lone wolf action games. Minimal story, more focused on action or exploring. Even Bioware stopped doing turnbased, D20 system focused games and focuses on either shooters or hack-and-slash. The success of Skyrim was probably the final nail in the coffin for the genre.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
"Gaming today is different then when I grew up". AKA. People like things I don't like.

Nah, brah, I'm saying gaming's different is all. Every big hyped recent n upcoming game's a shooter it seems like. Destiny, The Order, Wolfenstein, Last of Us Remastered. Ain't got no interest in those is all so it looks pretty barren to me right now. There was way more variety back in the day, even on the PS2. Just pointin' it out is all.

enurtsol wrote:
First of all, did you just lump all the sports together? Just because they're sports doesn't mean they're the same. If you're a fan of one or some sports, are you a fan of every sport? Just because one likes futbol doesn't mean one likes baseball. They all play differently - some vastly differently the only similarity they have at all is they're sports. And yes, there are many sports game players when you add up all the different sports games together. (And that's not any different from gaming of days past - there are always sports games players.) That's like saying Japan is nothing but RPGs - yet RPG itself has many varieties.

Most guys in my dorm play all the sports games pretty interchangeably. Basketball, Football, they're fine with all of em. They're all made by the same EA Sports company afterall, right?

Quote:
Also, how many of those are shooters? Are you counting anything that has a gun a shooter? Or first-person point-of-view automatically a shooter?

Well yeah you go around shooting things, it's a shooter. CoD, BF, Wolfenstein, Killzone, Destiny, Watchdogs. Lots of those games on the PS4 currently.

Quote:
Lastly, you only asked what could account for 10 million sales. Those are the games that could explain much of that. You didn't ask what all people play, so don't now start treating it that that's all the games people play. There are always lower-selling games that, though may not have anything to do with each other at all, when lumped together form a good portion, including PSN games.

I didn't see much on the PSN for PS4 right now. Just some digital copies of PS4 games and Playstation Now. PN seems like a rip off since now you can't buy games you have to rent them. I liked the way PS3 handled it better where its buy to own the classics. Just seems like a money grab now where you got to keep paying to keep it. Really disappointed in Sony for that.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The big games of that gen where things like Grand Theft Auto, Grand Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Madden, Halo, Medal of Honor, Nintendo games and FF.

The big games this gen are Grand Theft Auto, The Last of Us(a story based stealth/shooter just like MGS), Destiny(Halo), CoD, whatever Racing games are coming out, FF maybe, WRPGS like Biowares and the Witcher Madden, and Fifa. Plus Nintendo's stuff.

Nothing really has changed. You aren't pointing anything, just attempting to push an ignorant agenda. The same genres that are popular now were popular then. The difference is Japan gave up on consoles and that's Japan's fault. Not gamers in the west.

If you have no interest in good games then well that's your own fault and not gaming or some supposed shift that happened in it. None of those games are even the same, but you ignorantly push them aside and try to label them in one very narrow minded way. It's hard to take your opinions seriously when you do that.

On PSN right now there are games like Outlast, Transister, Rogue Galaxy, Entwined, Valient Hearts, Child of Light, and others.

I'm not even sure what you're talking about with Playstation Now. It's not supposed to be about buying digital copies. Buying digital copies on PS4 is exactly the same as it is on PS3. PN is a streaming rental service. That's it's point.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
There's sports games like Inazuma Eleven which do focus on the story and characters in addition to the sport, but those seem limited to only Japan.

You play sports games for story and characters? Really? Not even going to bother with some of the other things you've said, but you're not really a gamer.

@DaveTheUsher As long as the game is good, diversity doesn't matter. I'd rather have the same good shit than 100 layers of shit. If you don't see this, you're not a gamer. Most of the people complaining aren't gamers, because gamers cannot call themselves that if they reject a game based on its country of origin or its genre. As long as a game is good, who cares?

@Fedora RPGs aren't dead in America, considering how much the Final Fantasy XIII series sold. Probably not as much as in Japan, but that's inevitable. It still sold a lot. Same with the main Pokemon series, all of which have sold 2-10 million copies in the US alone.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
That's a really out of place strawman. Minecraft doesn't take place in a modern city in a third person perspective where you go around killing pedestrians. It's a building block game which has spawned it's own legion of clones and knock-offs.

So every third-person sandbox game where you can go around the city killing pedestrians is automatically a GTA clone? Because that's just not true. And that was my point with the Minecraft example. You can't just take one or a few common elements from various series and automatically assert that some are just ripoffs or clones of others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4