• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Parliament Funkadelic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehh123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Really, the VA who played "Molly" made people cry? I cried, too, having to hear that terrible accent she put on. Canadian inflections were the least of the damn problem.

Guess what? She made me cry in the episode where Nephrite/Nephlite died and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Did you expect him to discuss how BAD he thought he and his cast did?

Why not? Linda Ballantyne thought she did a terrible job voicing Sailor Moon (at first).

Last edited by ehh123 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quote
Why are people still complaining about a dub of Sailor Moon that was produced and aired 20 years ago???
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote
CCtheImmortal wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
"In Japan, this was not a children's show." BZZZ. WRONG. Sailor Moon was absolutely a children's show. It's just that the Japanese trust their children not to be complete sociopaths. Well, used to.

If they trusted their children so much the anime wouldn't have aired at prime-time, that time is reserved for teenagers and young adult shows. This is what he was talking about, it was going from a prime-time anime show that was targeted to at least a TV-14 crowd to an anime targeted to a TV-Y7 crowd.

All depends on how you define children, but young adults and teenagers I don't really considered children, they are teens. Hence the show went from a more teen-oriented feel to a more kid-oriented show.

it may be kids friendly in japan but its contents is sure as hell not the case here in the US. Especially back in the 90's when anime in general had a bad rep due to high violent series. also with the FCC breathing on their necks, you cant blame them for those SMS segments for the ending.

and FYI penguintruth , the DIC version of SM is definitely not atrocious. Sure its inferior compared to the new dub that Viz Media is doing , but its a hell of a lot better than the mess that 4kids & Nelvana did with the series they licensed. and its as miss seph and the rest of the cast says during ANN's interview. the uncut version is best viewed by older auidences,especially when S,Stars & Super S comes around while the DIC version can be still be used to introduce young girls on the 5-10 demograph to the anime universe.

It's probably the reason why Funi have decided to release the old Pioneer/Ocean Studios dub version of DBZ.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehh123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Why are people still complaining about a dub of Sailor Moon that was produced and aired 20 years ago???

Because it changed A LOT from the original. The reason I like the episode I previously mentioned is because it is the most faithful dub from the classic season

Last edited by ehh123 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
In less people have forgotten, the censoring of this Sailor Moon and other shows often get the nod by the Japanese companies themselves.
ehh123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
In less people have forgotten, the censoring of this Sailor Moon and other shows often get the nod by the Japanese companies themselves.

I like to think the ones who approved it just wanted to get the show overseas no matter the consequences. With Doraemon, they did the censoring for the Americans.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Yes. but not from the author who didn't liked those edits at all. and people say that its miss naoko herself that approved the new english dub cast which i highly doubt since she cant speak english at all. its probably the SM committee and Toei that liked it and told her its ok.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:06 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
...and people say that its miss naoko herself that approved the new english dub cast which i highly doubt since she can't speak english at all.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/467475712518414336

Quote:
This English voice cast will be picked by the creator herself. Whether or not she picked anyone from the old team is up to her.

There's your source, are you going to doubt them too? Rolling Eyes

To be serious, everything about this license is approved by her. We knew this much even before Viz got it since it was confirmed, in full detail, by the company who has the license in Mexico when they were promoting their own box sets so this shouldn't even be something to doubt because of language differences.

Last edited by NJ_ on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
I attended a panel at AnimeBoston where they had a gathering of some of the Japanese VA's and some of the old american VA's. One of the American VA's asked her Japanese counter part what kind of audience was watching in Japan. She said a wide audience starting with children. The American VA looked shocked, laughed it off and said different cultures I guess.

I have a problem with this quote from his book. "attention to detail that went into making the English version of Sailor Moon the standard by which all English translations of foreign animations are judged."

No Cowboy Bebop, or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Or even Full Metal Alchemist dubs are a standard by which all English translations of foreign animations are judged.

The DIC Sailor moon dub is a what not to do guide like the 4Kids Dub of One Piece.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Good interview. Thanks for having him on, Zac. It was really cool to hear Mr. Parliament's perspective.

As a kid, I loved the old Sailor Moon dub and it still has a special place in my heart. Yes, it was campy, but I like some of the choices they made. I still like Terri Hawkes' Sailor Moon overall and I think she will always be my favorite. Still I think from the dubbed episodes I saw at Otakon, Stephanie Sheh is doing a great job and seems to get the personality of Usagi.

I definitely teared up with the Molly and Nephlite scene in the dub, just as I did when I saw the Japanese original on Hulu. Cheesy accent or not.

I felt like people came down hard on this guy about the demographic thing. He obviously doesn't know as much about Japanese demographics or their standards for violence, etc vs ours, but it was an honest mistake.

SM wasn't perfect, but it did its job. I definitely agree with ResistNormal that something like Cowboy Bebop was light years ahead in quality. However, with Viz's new dub, people who didn't like the old dub now have a choice - new dub or sub. Wink
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
Ahahaha, when he was talking about Hawkes doing an entire episode in one take, at the end Zac seemed to be thinking "oh wow, no wonder it was bad". I mean really, the old dub was not well-acted or cast. It gets due respect but not for good acting. This should be obvious to everyone (yeah, the people who actually worked on it think differently, I'm sure.)

But yes, nice episode. Parliament seems like a rather nice guy and he was a great interview! Some nice stories.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
...and people say that its miss naoko herself that approved the new english dub cast which i highly doubt since she can't speak english at all.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/467475712518414336

Quote:
This English voice cast will be picked by the creator herself. Whether or not she picked anyone from the old team is up to her.

There's your source, are you going to doubt them too? Rolling Eyes

To be serious, everything about this license is approved by her. We knew this much even before Viz got it since it was confirmed, in full detail, by the company who has the license in Mexico when they were promoting their own box sets so this shouldn't even be something to doubt because of language differences.

you dont get my comment. do you?

i never said i didn't believe it. i just have doubts.

cause its just as the other quotes on that twitter account said.

"Ryback Rules ‏@MoeKillerX May 17

@VIZMedia We don't care about Japanese creators picking dub cats, UNLESS they can speak/understand English."

even if the casting is done by the author, its kinda irrevalant to some people since most of them cant speak english so their not gonna believe that the authors of certain series will personally handpick the casting for the english dub version since they cant speak let alone understand the language.

NOW, if she was doing the casting for the japaneese version , or if she was a dual language speaker like Imari Jimja, then there wouldnt be an issue, but doing a casting for the english dub when she cant even speak the language, its highly unlikely.

so unless she does speak & understand decent english , a lot of people have their doubts that she actually personally handpicked the cast no matter what the official announcement that the original licensors of the series give to viz media or the mainstream media .

it's probably people that worked for her as well as those that work for the SM committee & Toei Animation that speaks both languages.

Remember, a thing called plausible denyability still exists.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I've never liked the "back it the days, it was a good dub" excuse. Tenchi Muyo was dubbed and aired on my local PBS station in 1995 and is still, IMO, a fantastic dub. No one had wonky accents in the dub, and yet that was made around the same time the DiC Sailor Moon dub was produced.

Kristen Tanner's Ayeka is kinda wonky.

ehh123 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Because it changed A LOT from the original. The reason I like the episode I previously mentioned is because it is the most faithful dub from the classic season

Well, it's getting a new one, but that won't stop your complaining, will it?

I was more interested in DBZ at the time, but I've been watching the new SMC without much complaint, and I may check out the new dub if it makes it to Hulu or somesuch. Despite the lack of nostalgia, still enjoyed the interview.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon was most definitely for kids. What Americans call prime-time Japan calls golden time. It's one of the most popular timeslot to air children's shows at. Shows like Naruto, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Fullmetal Alchemist, Doraemon, Detective Conan, and plenty others aired on prime-time because it's when a lot of children are home after school and after playing with their friends and want to just relax around the house until bed time.

Trying to say Sailor Moon was for some TV-14 crowd is ridiculous. IT was aimed at the 2 - 12 year old demographic, and if you don't believe me just watch all the Japanese commercials on YouTube which feature girls from that age range someone linked to. Here's even more commercial for people.

I wonder if people who try to say it was for teenagers are insecure with admitting hey like a children's show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONUVMin4QoE
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
There was one instance in the podcast that had me miffed when Parliament made mention of the fact about changing Canadian dialects to American and was told the following by one of the producers at DiC regarding his concerns:

"This is not meant for <blank> Canadians, this is meant for <blank> Americans."

If that really was the case, then whatever credibility DiC had in my eyes is officially dead.

Good riddance to DiC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4