• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Parliament Funkadelic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Sailor Moon was most definitely for kids. What Americans call prime-time Japan calls golden time. It's one of the most popular timeslot to air children's shows at. Shows like Naruto, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Fullmetal Alchemist, Doraemon, Detective Conan, and plenty others aired on prime-time because it's when a lot of children are home after school and after playing with their friends and want to just relax around the house until bed time.

Trying to say Sailor Moon was for some TV-14 crowd is ridiculous. IT was aimed at the 2 - 12 year old demographic, and if you don't believe me just watch all the Japanese commercials on YouTube which feature girls from that age range someone linked to. Here's even more commercial for people.

I wonder if people who try to say it was for teenagers are insecure with admitting hey like a children's show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONUVMin4QoE

unfortunately you wrong about that statement. i suspect your an uber otaku noob , or you dont know about SM's history in the US or when it comes to broadcast standards for different countries.

yes, its a kids show, but in japan.

the content standards differ from country to country. where some content that would be no problem in japan, is another story in the US. Its as i said. If they had released the series like the way it is during the 90's , it would have gotten seriously ugly.

Now if the content was kid friendly for the US audience , the censorships wouldn't have been necessary.

While i didn't liked the changing of the names and places,they were completely unnecessary (they wasnt gonna fool anyone with those edits), the editing of some content so it can be on US TV was the right call at that time.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
There was one instance in the podcast that had me miffed when Parliament made mention of the fact about changing Canadian dialects to American and was told the following by one of the producers at DiC regarding his concerns:

"This is not meant for <blank> Canadians, this is meant for <blank> Americans."

If that really was the case, then whatever credibility DiC had in my eyes is officially dead.

Good riddance to DiC.

I wouldnt necessary shun them out. sure their version of SM is inferior compared to the new one. but some of the series they held were decent. especially samurai pizza cats when saban had the license.

besides, compared to all the BS that 4kids and nelvana and Animax Asia did with the series they licensed, the ones that were done by DIC is a real blessing. i would gladly take the DIC dubs over the crap that 4kids did any day of the week.(excluding pocket monsters)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
The anime dub world is dog eat dog and sad. People who work to bring you what you love are quickly forgotten. Harsh.

The sailor moon dub was insane but that is all you could get then. and people will defend their first outing with something they adore, regardless of how bad it is.

I love anime because its a freedom of expression not tied down with tired morals of the day.

This guy sounds like he reads the emergency flash flood warnings that you hear on TV.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
If Roland's comments about a DiC producer not being too happy about Candians is true, I have to wonder how she felt when the show became a huge success up here. Laughing
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:06 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I wouldnt necessary shun them out. sure their version of SM is inferior compared to the new one. but some of the series they held were decent. especially samurai pizza cats when saban had the license.

besides, compared to all the BS that 4kids and nelvana and Animax Asia did with the series they licensed, the ones that were done by DIC is a real blessing. i would gladly take the DIC dubs over the crap that 4kids did any day of the week.(excluding pocket monsters

That...has nothing to do with my post at all. Confused
Primus wrote:
If Roland's comments about a DiC producer not being too happy about Candians is true, I have to wonder how she felt when the show became a huge success up here. Laughing

My hunch is that she didn't give a you-know-what considering that she cares solely for American ratings, not Canadian. Otherwise, viewers wouldn't have had to wait 2 years for DiC to finish dubbing the rest of Sailor Moon R.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4