• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The "Whiny" Card: Valid or Not?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I think the main reason I can't stand whiny characters is the whiiiiinnning. Their voices drive me batty.

I'm one of the few people who actually like Spike Spencer's Shinji, so Shinji has never bothered me, and I can get past his whining to sympathize that he's got good reasons to whine, and he does make personal progress with his demons. Yuki though, he never really did get his act together except maybe toward the very last episode, and that was just too much whining and uselessness for my ears.

Aoi from Coppelion is one of my most hated characters because not only does she cower and whine (despite her training for precisely the job she's supposed to be fit for), she doesn't have the sense God gave lettuce, so she's worse than useless, putting others in danger to save her stupid ass. Lisa from Terror in Residence is turning into her doppelganger. And don't even get me started on Gantz, where all the people just stood around whining and yelling at each other to shoot and no one would fire their damn weapons, even after the killing commenced. They'd still keep whining and yelling at each other to shoot.

Shinji may whine and try to escape, but he keeps getting into the damn Eva and fighting. As long as a whiny character can manage to still act, they can complain all they want to - as long as they don't actually whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnne. Smile
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Chibi, meiam, I'd like to introduce you to a few terms:

Shell shock
Thousand-yard stare
Post-traumatic stress disorder

A few more possibilities that come to mind that are not after the event are:
Bipolar
Schizophrenic
Depression

@Chibi & meiam - people react in different ways and these characters are fictional people with their own personalities. If someone forced me to jump into a robot and put my life on the line I would be wining and crying at the age I am let alone at the age of 14 when hormones are flying around everywhere. I think most of us can remember the irrational responses we had at that age:

Mum "clean up your room please."
Child "ughhh why, it's fine, it will only become a tip again!"
Mum "because I asked you too"
Child *internal voice* "die" - stomps upstairs and throws crap under bed and into draws.

If you really don't want to do it but you are forced to every day or even once a week you will start to moan about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Also on a side note, I find it rather amusing when people complain that fictional characters aren't like real people. Fiction is escapism where a narrow field of possibilities, called reality, expands into wider infinite possibilities where impossible stuff happens daily, so I just think it's a really dumb thing to complain about.

True but you do need to make your char somewhat human...otherwise your audience would not be able to relate to him or her, thus probably wouldn't be able to get invested in their story.

It depends on what you consider human. Personality and behavior? Values and philosophy? Literal state of being?
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
And soldier are in a very different position than average main character, there one of many in a fight with often no clear motive. MC are one of the few if not the only one that can do whatever they can and the threat is very obvious to them.
Neither of which has much to do with whether you get mentally screwed up.
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Shinji was whining and crying about even going into combat.
So being forced into the cockpit of a machine you never knew existed with no training whatsoever after having your hopes of a reunion with your father dashed by the sharp knife of him all but saying he only sees you as another tool is no right to complain. Gotcha.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
So being forced into the cockpit of a machine you never knew existed with no training whatsoever after having your hopes of a reunion with your father dashed by the sharp knife of him all but saying he only sees you as another tool is no right to complain. Gotcha.

When the option is: "Do this, or die" yep, I don't want to watch numerous episodes of that person complaining. As meiam said, we don't need a giant robot/mecha show for that. We can just have a show about angsty high schoolers. If they're giving me a giant robot/mecha show, then I am looking for people to become more than that as they fight for life and liberty.
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
When the option is: "Do this, or die" yep, I don't want to watch numerous episodes of that person complaining. As meiam said, we don't need a giant robot/mecha show for that. We can just have a show about angsty high schoolers. If they're giving me a giant robot/mecha show, then I am looking for people to become more than that as they fight for life and liberty.

With that seamless logic, you shouldn't watch any anime with a death ultimatum where the characters don't become super courageous as they fight for their lives, since realism is out of the question here. Because you want a cookie cutter outcome and response regardless of circumstance. Yeah, shouldn't of even watched Evangelion to begin with.

Problem solved. Laughing
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
Lain'sHairline wrote:

With that seamless logic, you shouldn't watch any anime with a death ultimatum where the characters don't become super courageous as they fight for their lives, since realism is out of the question here. Because you want a cookie cutter outcome and response regardless of circumstance. Yeah, shouldn't of even watched Evangelion to begin with.

Problem solved. Laughing

Hey, I just call them as I see them. As I said, I'm all fine with shows that depict someone struggling with fear and not starting out courageous, particularly if it is executed in a way that makes me connect with them emotionally rather than just be annoyed by them. However, if the show is focused on defeating some enemy to save the world or save their family, friends, and self, then that's what I'm looking for. It amazes me that that is somehow strange. But as I said, some people share the author's depressed, angsty and nihilistic worldview, and they appreciate that avatar which I find to be selfish. To each his own.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I don't want
Which is really the crux of the issue here: you don't want something, but instead of being mature enough to come out and say so, you insist that what you don't like is inherently bad. We constantly Shinji complain for the same reason we constantly hear everybody in Kill la Kill shouting: that's the kind of show it is. And there's nothing wrong with that.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Which is really the crux of the issue here: you don't want something, but instead of being mature enough to come out and say so, you insist that what you don't like is inherently bad. We constantly Shinji complain for the same reason we constantly hear everybody in Kill la Kill shouting: that's the kind of show it is. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Umm, that's what I've been saying this entire time. Do I think my thoughts on this subject are echoed by a whole lot of people? Yes. Otherwise, there wouldn't be as much of a controversy about Shinji as there is within the anime watching community. As I've said, some people like what he represents, and many others don't. Your thoughts on it are just as subjective as mine, but my opinion is that characters like Shinji appeal more strongly to a smaller set of society than other characters who transform more fully into a heroic role while facing their own demons. That's why heroes are so universally popular throughout comics, movies, books and other media. Pure numbers support my position. But again, I acknowledge that there is a group of people who are all in favor of the more long-term damaged characters.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Umm, that's what I've been saying this entire time.
No, no it isn't.
Quote:
Yoko Nakajima/Usagi - Whiny/emo character done right
Is what you posted as a "response" to the OP's point. You then clarify this statement with
Quote:
The reason I mentioned the examples of Yoko Nakajima and Usagi is because they are emo/angsty characters who start off that way but rapidly begin to rise above it.
ie, you equate your preference with being done right. You then go on to compare Eren with Shinji as if they were actually similar in any way, shape or form.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Umm, that's what I've been saying this entire time.
No, no it isn't.
Quote:
Yoko Nakajima/Usagi - Whiny/emo character done right
Is what you posted as a "response" to the OP's point. You then clarify this statement with
Quote:
The reason I mentioned the examples of Yoko Nakajima and Usagi is because they are emo/angsty characters who start off that way but rapidly begin to rise above it.
ie, you equate your preference with being done right. You then go on to compare Eren with Shinji as if they were actually similar in any way, shape or form.

You might not have realized, but this is an opinion forum, not Merriam Websters forum on the definitive rules of what anime is OK to watch and what anime is not OK to watch. I'm giving my opinion on what is a well executed emo character and what is a poorly executed emo character. I suppose you think that's not allowed? I said numerous times that some people might connect with the type that I think is poorly executed, and bless their hearts. I just don't agree with them and think it's not a well written character.

Why are you so afraid of me taking a firm position? You can take your own firm position that such characters are the greatest type ever produced. Fine, I disagree.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I said numerous times that some people might connect with the type that I think is poorly executed, and bless their hearts.

I agree that everyone will have their opinions - I love Shinji's character, to me I love the realism but you don't want that from your mecha pilots, not a problem, but you don't need to be so condescending to us that do. Don't complain to Pollycell about opinions when you invalidate said point with condescension.

Edit: changed poor grammar (had a splitting migraine Neutral)

Last edited by TsunaReborn! on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:

I agree that everyone will have their opinions - I love Shinji's character, to me I love the realism but you don't want that from your mecha pilots, not a problem, but you don't need to be so condescending to us tht do. Don't complain to Pollycell abouts opinions when you invalidate said point with condescension.

I respond to condescension with condescension, and Pollycell is a particularly significant repeat offender.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking that the problem people have with protagonists having human, angsty reactions isn't the reaction itself...but how long the reaction is dragged out to the viewer.

If one doesn't want to see a character crying in a fetal position for ten episodes (even though their situation is really bad).......honestly, I can't say that I blame you.....that char needs to make SOME progress....else it's just really....unpleasant and boring. Anime hyper

I think that's why Shinji gets a lot of hate. (for the record, I'm not a hater but Shinji's a LOT better in the three new movies and it's kind of awesome)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I respond to condescension with condescension, and Pollycell is a particularly significant repeat offender.

(Although they don't call Poly "Thread killer" for nothing...Did he choose that nickname, or did the Mods choose it, as a public warning?)

Chiibi wrote:
If one doesn't want to see a character crying in a fetal position for ten episodes (even though their situation is really bad).......honestly, I can't say that I blame you.....that char needs to make SOME progress....else it's just really....unpleasant and boring. Anime hyper

I think that's why Shinji gets a lot of hate. (for the record, I'm not a hater but Shinji's a LOT better in the three new movies and it's kind of awesome)

To be fair, a LOT of Shinji hate comes from the fans completely and utterly obsessed with micro-analyzing Eva to the exclusion of all other anime, which is why complaints keep turning up on fan boards.
He's a messed-up character on a messed-up show, and if I'd ever become a fan of it, that would actually mean something to me...As it is, it's like a SW fan micro-analyzing every single thing that's wrong with the Prequels, while the more casual fans have moved on.

And I agree with Usagi being "good"-whiny, in that it can be both funny, in the early series, and a dramatic sign of her "rising the to the challenge" in the later series, but that's assuming you can generate the slightest bit of sympathy to care for either in the first place...Which she can. Smile

(And with Card Captor Sakura making a reappearance, did anyone else picture the same thing reading "The Whiny Card"?) Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6