Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma GN 1


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LaughingElbow



Joined: 19 Apr 2014
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
"Obnoxious heroine"? Soma is a girl?

"Dearth"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
prime_pm



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Posts: 1446
Location: Under Your Bed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Food porn at its finest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darkmagick



Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Posts: 206

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Nice review. I think it was pretty fair to the series, though I might've graded it a little higher.

On the plus side - the series chills on the fanservice a bit once it gets to the point where they realize they're not going to be cancelled. The foodgasms move more towards sheer wackiness and surreal-ness at that point, in the best possible way. On the minus side - Erina never stops being obnoxious. Though it helps that Soma is so chill that the tsun rolls right off him. (Megumi is best girl forever.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bobob101



Joined: 28 Jun 2013
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Fortunately for everyone, Erina is more of the stand off-ish rival than heroine. The real heroine is the girl Tadokoro Megumi, and she is amazing. Soma has the confidence from all his years cooing, but Megumi is your typical shy girl who freaks out all the time. But watching her grow is just amazing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnysasaki



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
you probably aren't aware,but the fact that the artist has drawn lots of hentai manga(two of them even got anime adaptations.Search for "Tosh".You are welcome) will make sense to you now with those "reactions" scenes of them tasting food.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Levitz9



Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 700
Location: Puerto Rico

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
you probably aren't aware,but the fact that the artist has drawn lots of hentai manga(two of them even got anime adaptations.Search for "Tosh".You are welcome) will make sense to you now with those "reactions" scenes of them tasting food.


... That kinda doesn't justify anything, though.

Real talk: reading through scanlations of this last year, I had never considered that the tentacle scenes might have made people uncomfortable--and now I kinda feel bad. Whoops.

I do dig Shun Saeki's art, though, and I love that spoiler[the first food-gasm scene not only shows the evil female retailer, but also her buff cronies.] As is usual, though, the naked ladies are meant to be sexy, and the dudes are just "funny".

Still, I'm jonesing for a good manga, and SnS has a vote in my book. It's no Yakitake Japan, though...

Thanks for the review, Silverman! It felt a little short, but I guess that happens with first volumes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YumeHunter



Joined: 02 Aug 2013
Posts: 43
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm so thankful that Erina is not the main female character.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raebo101



Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 61

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While the orgasm scenes are equal opportunity, the molestation scenes are strictly female.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrownKlown



Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 1072

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:
you probably aren't aware,but the fact that the artist has drawn lots of hentai manga(two of them even got anime adaptations.Search for "Tosh".You are welcome) will make sense to you now with those "reactions" scenes of them tasting food.


... That kinda doesn't justify anything, though.

Real talk: reading through scanlations of this last year, I had never considered that the tentacle scenes might have made people uncomfortable--and now I kinda feel bad. Whoops.

I do dig Shun Saeki's art, though, and I love that spoiler[the first food-gasm scene not only shows the evil female retailer, but also her buff cronies.] As is usual, though, the naked ladies are meant to be sexy, and the dudes are just "funny".

Still, I'm jonesing for a good manga, and SnS has a vote in my book. It's no Yakitake Japan, though...

Thanks for the review, Silverman! It felt a little short, but I guess that happens with first volumes.


Justify what exactly? Just because someone is offended by fan service, I hate to break it to them but there is nothing inherently wrong with that, so there is no need for the author to justify himself to anyone. Its as simple as he likes so he writes, if you don't then you don't buy it.

I am glad with things like Boko Haram kidnapping and murdering kids in Africa, or the many rape articles that come out of India, I am glad we talk about the real issues, the exploitation of fictional drawn characters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Levitz9



Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 700
Location: Puerto Rico

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I am glad with things like Boko Haram kidnapping and murdering kids in Africa, or the many rape articles that come out of India, I am glad we talk about the real issues, the exploitation of fictional drawn characters.


You mean to tell me that on this here forum about discussing and critiquing anime, manga, and related materials, we should focus on what you claim to be "more important" matters because who cares about how a person feels about a manga?

Good lord, you're a genius! Tell me more, o wizened sage, what else should we do on this forum?

Actually, no, your opinion is pretty insulting, as it's entirely dismissive as to how Silverman feels towards the manga--which is, you know, the point of a review, and the notion that there are "more important matters" doesn't mean that discussing how one feels about fanservice is any less important. Especially when we're on a forum that discusses and critiques Japanese media.

You came to the wrong place to complain about other people's opinions.[/i]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eragon2890



Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 139

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

I am glad with things like Boko Haram kidnapping and murdering kids in Africa, or the many rape articles that come out of India, I am glad we talk about the real issues, the exploitation of fictional drawn characters.


You mean to tell me that on this here forum about discussing and critiquing anime, manga, and related materials, we should focus on what you claim to be "more important" matters because who cares about how a person feels about a manga?

Good lord, you're a genius! Tell me more, o wizened sage, what else should we do on this forum?

Actually, no, your opinion is pretty insulting, as it's entirely dismissive as to how Silverman feels towards the manga--which is, you know, the point of a review, and the notion that there are "more important matters" doesn't mean that discussing how one feels about fanservice is any less important. Especially when we're on a forum that discusses and critiques Japanese media.

You came to the wrong place to complain about other people's opinions.[/i]


Well I wil never complain about someone else's opinion, but I will also NEVER stop loving fanservice and ecchi as much as I do because of it. Everyone is free to believe/say what they want. I don't mind, but I am also free to watch/like/fanboy over every anime I want just the same. And I will gladly continue to be part of the real real large percentage of otaku who will continue as they have been for years now to make sure that all the awesome ecchi harem series and such will continue to sell well and thus continue to be simulcasted by crunchyroll and then released on DVD. BEcause I like them. Period. Anime hyper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cyclone1993



Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Posts: 641

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I disagree on in this review is about the characters. I never found Erina annoying, she's a pretty typical tsundere. She's just more Tsun than dere. She's supposed to be the overbearing Ojou-Sama type. So she lives up to her character quite well.

The art is easily the best thing about the series. The tension gets amped up as well. I'm looking forward to retreading the series without having to wait a week for a chapter.

The fan service is much more heavy in the first volume largely due to the need of a hook for a Jump series. (it's apparently worked!) the tentacle scenes no longer occur outside of this volume.

Although the series has kind of been slow for a while (it is picking up more recently though. I attribute it to an actual villain.) it is my favorite Jump series and my second favorite currently running series.

Also if you can't tell from my icon, Tadokoro is best girl!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twilightmaster



Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 96

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Thankfully Erina makes rare appearances throughout the series, to my knowledge, so she's not really what I'd call a 'heroine'.

And honestly, since I've already seen shows like Yakitatte the reactions no matter what entailed were merely seen for humor sake, nothing else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ali07



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 886
Location: Victoria, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, sounds interesting. I remember when I saw this up for pre-orders, but I decided to wait and see. I may need to check out a bit of what happens beyond volume 1, as the fan-service scenes describe here doesn't sound like it's for me, and many here are saying they're toned down from volume 2 onwards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cyclone1993



Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Posts: 641

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Hmm, sounds interesting. I remember when I saw this up for pre-orders, but I decided to wait and see. I may need to check out a bit of what happens beyond volume 1, as the fan-service scenes describe here doesn't sound like it's for me, and many here are saying they're toned down from volume 2 onwards.


Its completely toned down later in the series. You go from naked foodgasms, to women dancing with a duck, or being kissed by a man with an apple for a head. Its completely over the top, and that's what makes it so charming. Although the fanservice is quite extreme in the beginning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group