• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rooster Teeth's RWBY Heads To Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerbilx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Hahahahah, as soon as I finished the article, I knew that there would be an argument about the use of the word anime.

Surprised that so few seem to like the show. I mean why criticize it for being low budget? It is what it is, and I'm impressed what they can get out of their limited funds.

The girls are pretty interesting and personable in general, and the splendidly directed fight scenes last for more than 2 minutes...without power up fluff time! The food fight in the first episode of season 2 was easily the best fight scene I've seen animated when I consider both creativity and choreography. The only thing that comes close for me are Ceaser's fight with Whammu at the end of JoJo part 2, and maybe some of the end scenes in the Chimera Ant arc of HxH. It's jsut a ton of fun.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

The first Avatar cartoon performed horribly in Japan and was cancelled pretty quickly. I'm not sure they'd even bother to try to market Korra in Japan after that disaster. Korra isn't even popular in America given Nickelodeon pulled it from their schedule, so they're probably not going to bother with trying to market it if they have that little faith in the show in it's home country.

Correction: The first Avatar series never actually made it to Japan. The creators have stated before they tried to get it there but couldn't work out a proper deal with Nick in Japan so all that exists of the Japanese dub is a few clips.

As for Korra it's problems stem from more than just popularity problems as Nick had been screwing over the series since Book 2 by moving it from it's Saturday morning timeslot (where it got great ratings) to a Friday night death slot. Not to mention that their solution to Book 3 leaking early online was air it at the very last minute with absolutely zero promotion. Don't get me wrong, Book 2 was bad enough in it's own right that it wasn't surprising that it lost some of the audience (Book 3 on the other hand is a massive improvement for the series in general but that's a whole other thing entirely) but Nick's also responsible for the current fate of the franchise.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
u6064vision wrote:
Would it offend anyone if I said Scooby-Doo is the greatest "Anime" of all time in my opinion? Cool

Y'know. Come to think of it, Daphne is some waifu material. Mmmmm Cool
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
As for Korra it's problems stem from more than just popularity problems as Nick had been screwing over the series since Book 2 by moving it from it's Saturday morning timeslot (where it got great ratings) to a Friday night death slot.

I don't mean to go off much of a tangent. But I do want to take a minute to ask you specifically (since I keep seeing this thrown around), why was Fridays at 7/8/8:30pm a death slot for Korra, especially considering that if I recall correctly, most episodes of the original series aired at that time of the week? The original series aired new episodes mostly on Friday evenings.

Also, a perspective to throw in, Jason DeMarco, despite not being a fan of the show, interestingly threw his two cents on Twitter and Ask.fm about Korra moving to online and felt the show targeted too old of a demographic compared to almost everything else on the network, hence why it moved. He does believe Nickelodeon as a network has a lot of problems and handles a bunch of its programming questionably. But he also felt with Legend of Korra specifically, not enough of the proper audience that mattered to Nick kept tuning in and thus the ratings weren't consistent (and it's not like it ever had reruns on the main network either). Say what you will about the guy, and it's not like I don't think the lack of promotion in season 3 and to a lesser extent season 2 didn't help either, but he does kind of make a point about Korra. Heck the problem with Korra can also apply to how more action shows on other networks attempting to be darker to the extent of targetting an audience older than kids (i.e: Beware the Batman, Young justice, Green Lantern the animated series, Tron Uprising, MAYBE Motorcity) don't last. The people that don't seem to grasp that are ironically us, the older audience these shows target.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Just to put my thoughts out there. Technically, "anime" can refer to any sort of animation, under its Japanese definition. This is because "anime" comes from French, not Japanese and in French, "dessin-anime" means animation and is rather broad. Hell, in France, "anime" is called "l'animation japon".

The etymology of "anime" has never been proven, as far as I know, but considering that they say アニメーション (animeeshon), which comes from English, it's very probably from English and not French. Coming from "dessin animé" is listed on French Wikipedia page for "anime" as an "alternate theory" to the main one given without qualification (citation). The Japanese page just straight-up says it's an abbreviation of (the English word) アニメーション. But yes, in Japanese, it can and does refer to any and all animation.

(Also, as Japon is a noun, one would say animation japonais.)
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Anime and Cartoons are different. You argue they are not but that is the way we categorize animation. If not you will have English speaking fans calling all anime "Hentai" again. I'm not part of the collective idiocy that decided we must label everything in existence, that is just the way people are.

@ KyuuA4 : What in RWBY makes it an ANIME title? For one, RWBY is missing an ED to even be considered ANIME. What exactly was animated in RWBY? Its a CGi fan show that has British themes and In jokes. You do notice the show is CGi i hope.

If you get ANN to list RWBY in the encyclopedia and I'll consider it anime. They won't because it's not anime. Its a simple Web series.

RWBY is like watching American teenagers at a con act out their favorite scenes from a popular anime. What about the Harry Potter esc academy, headmasters and Werewolves!. The music and the fights are all that's redeemable ,the rest is generic cliche's of what we like, ripped directly from anime (among others). As a stand alone product I doubt it will even garner a reaction. There are in jokes and history that is far too niche for our people, let alone Japan.

Also, how is Red vs Blue doing in Japan? You know, Halo? Cause you know XBOX is super popular in Japan an all, and everyone knows rooster teeth. How about the copyright trouble Monty OUM has already gone through with SquareEnix for infringing with Dead Fantasy? Most details of the show down to the MMD choreograph fights are someone elses design. He is known for manipulating products he doesn't own and with the jokers behind Rooster Teeth, the show doesn't fair much in the way of value. Even if they line the walls of Seiyu with RWBY, I doubt it will do much good. The cover is also incredibly misleading.

Warner Bros is convinced that it will make money so I can't wait to reverse pirate the show, so that i can hear it in Japanese while thoroughly comparing it to my copy of the OEL version. Rolling Eyes

A cohesive story would be a nice start, I'm hoping part 2 will at least try.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Also, how is Red vs Blue doing in Japan? You know, Halo? Cause you know XBOX is super popular in Japan an all, and everyone knows rooster teeth. How about the copyright trouble Monty OUM has already gone through with SquareEnix for infringing with Dead Fantasy?

Has he ever profited off of doing those things?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:

Has he ever profited off of doing those things?
I'm not Monty Oum. I don't have access to his funds. But they did manage to get Warner Bros to sell his/their product now didn't he. What lead up to that? The same way Crunchyroll got money, with product they didn't own.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
The both of us are talking about Dead Fantasy now. Not Rwby, which for the record you brought up and I specifically quoted.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Heck the problem with Korra can also apply to how more action shows on other networks attempting to be darker to the extent of targetting an audience older than kids (i.e: Beware the Batman, Young justice, Green Lantern the animated series, Tron Uprising, MAYBE Motorcity) don't last. The people that don't seem to grasp that are ironically us, the older audience these shows target.

These shows are not really any darker than action shows of the 80s and 90s, and those did just fine and lasted multiple seasons. Action cartoons are just not in demand anymore. We live in the era of live-action sitcoms pushing Nickelodeon and Disney stars to the front page of TMZ and jump-starting their singing careers like Miley Cyrus and Ariana Grande. That's what children and teenagers are watching these days, not a team of heroes selling their toy lines for kids to buy.

The only cartoons which seem to do well are the noodle-limbed hijinks of characters like Spongebob and Finn. Goofy, crazy, maybe some gross-out and stoner humor in there for the teenagers to laugh at and buy a T-shirt at hot topic with a character on it. The 80s and 90s were when action cartoons were at their peak, and it seems today American audiences just don't care for them anymore like they once did. Korra never got any real merchandise to my knowledge, and the merchandise for the original Avatar sold horribly. I think we're just seeing the last life-cycle of American action animation play out. That's probably why RWBY is an internet series to begin with, rather than it being shopped around to a network. We might we more internet-only shows if this and Korra are any indication to appeal to a niche of viewers rather than the main networks.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
These shows are not really any darker than action shows of the 80s and 90s, and those did just fine and lasted multiple seasons.

So did actions shows in the early-to-mid 2000s and those were not trying as hard to aim at an older crowd as action shows these days. I think there's a disconnect between what you and I mean by the word "darker". When I say "darker to the extent of targeting an older audience", I don't mean just shows that had certain stand-alone episodes where it struck a nerve to viewers to get a "I can't believe they went there", reaction. I also mean today's shows have been trying to be more serialized in their stories to the point of being potentially convoluted at times, they're attempting to throw some form of political corruption into the plot, the main protagonists and antagonists in shows are generally older than before, or they're all trying to find some way to get a character to actually die or say they're dead somehow.

Maybe "edgy" is a proper way to describe what I'm talking about given how it to me feels like these shows have been trying to appeal to people who may like Game of Thrones. And it feels like it has over time made people who worked on these projects trip over their feet repeatedly. I'm not denying the argument that action shows have been slowly going the way of the dinosaur on television and that there's been a push for other content at all. I completely agree with you on that. However, I don't agree that action shows of past decades were just as dark or rather "edgy" as today's shows are as if the attempt at being edgy never played a factor to the problem with action animated shows on TV now.

Regarding RWBY, Rooster Teeth has always operated with providing most of their content mostly online anyways. They've been like that for years. I doubt the shift in tone of shows on TV had that much of an influence on how RWBY would be exposed.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
The both of us are talking about Dead Fantasy now. Not Rwby, which for the record you brought up and I specifically quoted.
Well he did get noticed and hired by Rooster Teeth and I'm positive Dead Fantasy had something to do with it being that RWBY is all female. SE put the kibosh on DF before it got too crazy. Those con posters (promotions) for Dead Fantasies were pretty impressive when they were around. Some money had to be moving at some point.
phifedawg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
What exactly was animated in RWBY?

uh...all of it?

Do you consider gdgd Fairies an anime? Everyone else does.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
RWBY is like watching American teenagers at a con act out their favorite scenes from a popular anime

good way to describe it. no arguments here.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
gdgd Fairies is listed on anime news network, where is RWBY?

I am not loose with my definitions as most seem to be.

RWBY is a 3D generated clip of manipulated cameras and instructions. The characters are sculpted and built, not drawn continuously.Where is the animation? Because the "pictures" are "moving" for you in sequence, so you consider it animated? Then why aren't live action movies called animation? Whats the difference between live action and computer generated actors?

RWBY is a hybrid product that calls nowhere home. Webcast? Web series? You can't gain respect with that. I don't rail on you guys because I dislike RWBY. I'm a big fan and am currently enjoying season 2. There is something about the show that keeps me watching, but calling it anime is completely wrong.

I hope it finds an audience there. Could you imagine a movie? More Yang is a plus.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
RWBY is a 3D generated clip of manipulated cameras and instructions. The characters are sculpted and built, not drawn continuously.Where is the animation? Because the "pictures" are "moving" for you in sequence, so you consider it animated? Then why aren't live action movies called animation? Whats the difference between live action and computer generated actors?

You don't know actually anything about CGI animation do you?

Figure models are created by artist, animation rigging is built by artists, artists script the figure movements, and artists frame the final images.

Its animation. Period. Full. Stop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9