• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 TV Anime Affected by Japanese Censorship

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
In this case the entries were different. One uses the last names and the other does not. So anybody checking for duplicates could have easily missed that.

True, but it was pointed out in the forum comments, so it seems like they should have been combined for the final result. Without knowing the vote count, there's no way to know how they finished, but obviously higher than 13.

That aside, very interesting list this week!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I can see Funimation airing AT-X versions of certain anime if they had a chance to get them for obvious reasons.

I wish they could do that more often for their simulcasts and do see that justifying a higher monthly subscription fee.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Touma wrote:
In this case the entries were different. One uses the last names and the other does not. So anybody checking for duplicates could have easily missed that.

True, but it was pointed out in the forum comments, so it seems like they should have been combined for the final result. Without knowing the vote count, there's no way to know how they finished, but obviously higher than 13.

That aside, very interesting list this week!

Fixed and adjusted their placement. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, guys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:
The list makes me think about anime COPPELION (2013) that had originally been announced in 2010 but delayed due to the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and subsequent meltdown at Fukushima nuclear power plant. The original manga by Tomonori Inoue is set in a post apocalyptic Tokyo that was devastated by a nuclear power plant meltdown. I don't know how much of the story got revised for the anime or if was left pretty much as-is.

i am surprised they didn't even mention Coppelion considering they mentioned other shows that only had single episodes pulled because of events happening at the time those shows were aired. Even when it did air they seemed to avoid naming places and using certain terms, from what I remember.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Fixed and adjusted their placement. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, guys.

Thanks for fixing it! Nice to see them getting their due. Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Tomoya and Nagisa at #1? Nice, they definitely deserve the spot considering spoiler[they're an actual boy/girl couple that got married and had a child, despite the tragedy that occurs]. I can root for them.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Surprised my pick for Lawrence and Holo made it all the way to #2. Gee, maybe there's some interest in a third season there, Japan.

I suspect my pick of Triela will not fare so well.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I was sad to see that Psycho Pass New Edit was not added to the list -
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-31/funimation-streams-cancelled-psycho-pass-episode/.77175
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
As for Coppelion they also did 2 edits to the show, for broadcast. The first they removed all references spoken that the disaster was from a nuclear accident and the second was all the Coppelion students jackets had a orange patch of the radiation/nuclear symbol removed and all that was left the orange patch with no symbol left on their jackets.

Nice info, I was wondering about that.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
1. Mobile Suit Gundam Yoshiyuki Tomino has a well-developed reputation as the outspoken creator of the Gundam franchise. The guy can also hold a grudge. Episode 15 of the series was pulled from North American broadcast and home video release due to off-model animation. Usually, those kind of issues are fixed for home video release but Tomino also cited issues with the episode's animation director, saying "He knows what he did."

Not back in the days of cel animation, they weren't. Nowadays, as long as the studio still has the original computer files, they can just pop in and tweak stuff, but back then when dealing with cels, it was much too expensive and time-consuming to go back and alter even a single scene. Even if they were to go back and do it now, they'd have to remake the episode from the ground up, which isn't really worth doing for a single (rather inconsequential) episode of a 35 year old series.

Going back and fixing up bad animation for home releases is comparatively a much more recent trend. Not to mention there was no home video market for anime to speak of back in 1979.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I did not know about the Ghost Stories episode being pulled.
It is really too bad that Funimation did not get it. The gag dub could have done some interesting things with the slit-mouthed woman.

For the new poll I chose Maka Albarn of Soul Eater.
I actually like Eri Sawachika more, but I do not think of her as a heroine.
Why would Funimation, who never licensed the series, have had any more chance of getting that pulled episode than ADV, who actually did license the series?
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Touma wrote:
I did not know about the Ghost Stories episode being pulled.
It is really too bad that Funimation did not get it. The gag dub could have done some interesting things with the slit-mouthed woman.
Why would Funimation, who never licensed the series, have had any more chance of getting that pulled episode than ADV, who actually did license the series?

Yeah, I had my studios mixed up there.
I should have said ADV.
EDIT: I fixed it.

Last edited by Touma on Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
funny about the Gundam episode,because it was still included in the Japanese DVDs and even in the Japanese BDs released just last year as well.Then again,it's the same guy that wrote in booklet of the Japanese DVD-set of Victory Gundam that you shouldn't have bought it.Hell,how did Sunrise or Bandai let him do that?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
What doesn't help with TV anime censorship is that sometimes even the DVD/BD versions are censored and sometimes the disc censorship could be worse than the TV version.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd still like a source for this "he knows what he did" quote they're sourcing. The only thing we've heard was him being mum on the subject because a staffer was "still alive". Besides, if it was truly that bad, why did it get re-released for the re-releases of the series in Japan? *rolls eyes* Oh Tomino.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5