• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 TV Anime Affected by Japanese Censorship

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:17 am Reply with quote
Ghost Stories was the only unknown to me. So are glasgow smiles now accepted because of Batman 2 ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
Do Japanese television networks pull live-action shows for the same reasons they pull anime? Or are they focused more on anime because they think the anime audience, being younger, is somehow more vulnerable?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
Well, School Days definitely. I was following the buzz when that show was airing. And I also remembered that it was mentioned her on ANN. School Days was affected but Higurashi wasn't despite the fact that they were airing around the same time. The only anime that I can add to the list that was affected by censhorship was 'Koi Kaze'. There was that one case where one episode didn't air and went straight to vid. I was curious to find out what it was but I could never find anything. Until someone on a forum mentioned it. That it had to do with "divorce". So incest ok but divorce which is something folks view here as a normal thing, but in Japan seems they have a problem. Unless I'm missing something.

The other censorship that I can think of was that year Japan had that earthquake. The new Black Jack series had one episode that went straight to video due to the sensitivity of the matter.

Then there's the 'Pokemon' episode. I know that the whole Polygon episode aired once and caused that crazy commotion, but notice no one has seen that episode since and it hasn't been released on home video ever since it happened. The only videos of it are what was taped off of TV and passed around the internet in poor quality.

I'm sure there's more but these are all I can think of.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Many fans probably haven't heard of Gokujyo

Yep, never heard of that show. And, it was just when I had started checking out more anime...I wonder how it slipped passed me. At the time, I had been looking into currently airing stuff. So, I either overlooked it or it was something I decided not to check out. But, it doesn't seem familiar to me at all. Laughing

On this weeks poll...are the characters meant to be both blonde and twin-tails? I don't know what to think anymore...people adding characters that are either not blonde or twin-tail has thrown me for a loop!

I always considered Aisaka Taiga's and Kuroko Shirai's hair colour to be brown. I don't think that Taiga, Winry (FMA) and Yugito (Naruto) can be considered twin-tail characters. And are pink/purple/blue now blonde (Aria Holmes/Kagami Hiiragi/Akane Enomoto)?

And Naruto is in there too! Laughing

Voted for Nagi Sanzenin. If I could vote more than once, other votes would've gone to Hagimura Suzu, Sanae Dekomori, Lucy Heartfilia, Golden Darkness and Miu Takanashi. In that order. Laughing

Also, School Rumble's Eri seems to have of been added by a user. She's listed twice. Once as "Eri Sawachika (School Rumble)" and then later as "Sawachika Eri".
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
On this weeks poll...are the characters meant to be both blonde and twin-tails? I don't know what to think anymore...people adding characters that are either not blonde or twin-tail has thrown me for a loop!

I always considered Aisaka Taiga's and Kuroko Shirai's hair colour to be brown. I don't think that Taiga, Winry (FMA) and Yugito (Naruto) can be considered twin-tail characters. And are pink/purple/blue now blonde (Aria Holmes/Kagami Hiiragi/Akane Enomoto)?

And Naruto is in there too! Laughing

Yeah, I was puzzled about the options as well.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
SO glad Lawrence and Holo got so much love.

An anime cut for "being stupid"? I definitely want to see it now!

Uh, who is 777?
Isn't Aria from Aria The Scarlet Ammo absolutely not blonde?
Who added those choices?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

Uh, who is 777?
Who added those choices?

No idea, but I went in a filtered out a bunch of choices so they are now "hidden." There might be one or two I left because their hair-color is arguably "caramel blonde" versus "really, really light brown," but most have at least blondeish hair and twin tails.

Not just a single ponytail guys!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Then there's the 'Pokemon' episode. I know that the whole Polygon episode aired once and caused that crazy commotion, but notice no one has seen that episode since and it hasn't been released on home video ever since it happened. The only videos of it are what was taped off of TV and passed around the internet in poor quality.

Its a shame...I feel like Porygon would be a very interesting character if they did any cyber-like episodes, maybe a cyber gym trainer? I feel maybe it would have been fine if they went back and reedited it to change the bright flashes and whatnot. Now it just appears in background scenes of the movies and stuff. (I believe its in the games still though)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
We also have the time that Fractale was temporarily halted as 1 of Funi's Winter '11 simulcasts because it was being illegally streamed. Though its streaming eventually came back, it could be argued that Japan had done a form of censorship in blocking viewers from legally viewing it.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I heard about most of those pulled or delayed episodes. For those mentioning it, I don't think the Pokemon Porygon episode counts as censorship. That was a public health issue because a scene with Porygon was causing seizures.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Aside from Americanizing characters, as mentioned by many people already, the only known banned episode (outside of fan service heavy material) is Pokémon.

As previously mentioned, Electric Soldier Porygon caused seizures due to Pikachu's attack destroying missiles. Due to this, the little guy and his evolutions haven't appeared in an episode. However there was that one cameo. Porygon did more damage though as a New Year's special never aired due to it.

Episodes have been skipped due and retconned (however you do that in a show like this) mostly due to earthquakes. The Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma 2-parter never aired. Shaking Island Battle's reason makes more since it involves Whiscash which is based off the Namazu, a catfish in Japanese mythology that causes earthquakes.

Recently An Undersea Place to Call Home was cancelled due to the Japanese boat MV Sewol sinking in South Korea. As already know, 4kids is hypersensitive as despite editing out James' false assets (understandable for North American culture), the episode still never aired. 4kids also banned the Legend of Dratini was banned due to the use of firearms (nobody got shot) and left many people questioning the origin of Ash's Tauros.

Now to the nitty gritty, Jynx (who is based off of ganguro that literally translates to "black face"). Author Carole Boston Weatherford questioned the Ice/Psychic type after Holiday Hi-Jynx aired. The Christmas special was banned. The Ice Cave had a large focus on Jynx so 4kids never touched it while it's cameo was cut from All Things Bright and Beautifly. It didn't stop there, international releases of Generation 2 games had Jynx's sprite with both face and hands coloured purple instead of black and grey and this continued into Generation 3 (including Japanese releases) and all following releases (spin-offs and rereleases included) of games, cards, toys, cartoons, and comics.

Mr. Popo from Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball franchise was also called out by Weatherford. When Dragon Ball Z Kai was aired on the CW and was recoloured blue with yellow lips while in Viz's printings of Toriyama's comic, the size of his lips were reduced.

Then there's the trading card game incident featuring spoon benders Kadabra and Uri Geller. Yeah, Pokémon has gotten into a LOT of controversial trouble over the years but is still going strong getting worldwide releases and being Nintendo's strongest franchise after Mario.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Why is Madoka on this weeks poll? Madoka has pink hair not blond.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Who added those choices?

Yes, Aria is a red head not a blond. People who are color blind added those choices. Somebody even added Madoka to the list. She has pink hair not blond!
Kokoroanime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
What about Pokemon's Beauty and the Beach? Y'all forgot about this episode.

It was originally skipped when it aired on Syndicated TV before KidsWB take over. And hey, I hear it was aired 3 years after it was skipped and it only got one rerun but it never shown again for the third time.

It was skipped because of James fake realistic boobs as the Team Rocket trying ways to win the swimsuit contest.

Shall we at least talk about Pokemon's Beauty and the Beach?
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
The list is about episodes banned in the Japanese airing.

You guys are listing episodes only America banned
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5