• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/stay night TV Anime's 1st Character Ad Highlights Rin Tohsaka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:30 am Reply with quote
Looks great, I look forward to this anime.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Can we rewrite FSN to make Luvia take Rin's spot?

Hell no, Rin is awesome. Cool
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I was joking. But yeah, the sea monster thing was kinda off. Even so, that's hardly a good reason to judge the entire anime's animation.
I think F/SN has less CG, because I can't recall anything that needs to be modelled per se, so it should be fine in that regard.

True. It did look brilliant most of the time. And yes, FSN could look even better since it shouldn't need as much CG.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I was joking. But yeah, the sea monster thing was kinda off. Even so, that's hardly a good reason to judge the entire anime's animation.
I think F/SN has less CG, because I can't recall anything that needs to be modelled per se, so it should be fine in that regard.

True. It did look brilliant most of the time. And yes, FSN could look even better since it shouldn't need as much CG.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Shory wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Quote:
And you'll just see that it gets a C+ for Animation here.

That will depend on how crazy Ufotable gets with their CG. I love the art style used by them, but they tend to have some pretty shitty CG integration. Episode 13 of Fate/Zero looked terrible for example.

Even live action stuff with actors gets C+ for animation here :p

Nah but in all seriousness, I think animation quality depends on the art style and is totally subjective. If you enjoy the animation, that is all that matters (not if some random critic enjoyed it or not)
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Nah but in all seriousness, I think animation quality depends on the art style and is totally subjective. If you enjoy the animation, that is all that matters (not if some random critic enjoyed it or not)

Art style is subjective, for example, I am one of the few people who really liked Flowers of Evil as well as Ping Pong. Animation isn't so much, however. Fluidity, the frequency of still shots and the like are very much objective.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Art style is subjective, for example, I am one of the few people who really liked Flowers of Evil as well as Ping Pong. Animation isn't so much, however. Fluidity, the frequency of still shots and the like are very much objective.

I think if it looks good, and/or you like how it looks, it matters not how good the animation is (from a technical point). I mean a review is meant to tell the reader if its a pleasure to watch the show, I doubt most people care about the technical stuff. And I mean even if getting technical, the person has problems if he says Fate/Zero had bad animation and looks bad.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

I think if it looks good, and/or you like how it looks, it matters not how good the animation is (from a technical point). I mean a review is meant to tell the reader if its a pleasure to watch the show, I doubt most people care about the technical stuff. And I mean even if getting technical, the person has problems if he says Fate/Zero had bad animation and looks bad.

A review is supposed to be as objective as possible, so no, they aren't supposed to tell you whether or not they personally liked the art style or enjoyed the animation. Their job is to score the show from a technical standpoint.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

A review is supposed to be as objective as possible, so no, they aren't supposed to tell you whether or not they personally liked the art style or enjoyed the animation. Their job is to score the show from a technical standpoint.

Yeah yeah, they are supposed to give an overall opinion from a neutral zone (which doesn't always happen). However certain portions of the review, like the animation, are still subjective regardless of their objectivity. No matter how the reviewer grades that section, it is never universally objective simply because people have different interpretations of things like animation.

He can say if he liked it or not, if it's "good" or not, why or why not, but the letter grade means nothing for that section. A C+ could be A+ in another persons eyes.

(this discussion is so off topic btw)
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Yeah yeah, they are supposed to give an overall opinion from a neutral zone (which doesn't always happen). However certain portions of the review, like the animation, are still subjective regardless of their objectivity. No matter how the reviewer grades that section, it is never universally objective simply because people have different interpretations of things like animation.

Says f**king who? Where are these rules written and by what authority? People make claims like this about reviews around here a lot, but never actually account for them. If you're going to make such strong assertions and want them taken seriously or to be respected, you should probably cite a source or properly justify them.

Ambimunch wrote:
(this discussion is so off topic btw)

Off topic? It seems virtually anti-topic, although trying to negate the ability of expressing and discussing opinions to exist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

A review, by definition, is subjective.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

A review, by definition, is subjective.

And they have separate grades for Animation and Art, so people shouldn't confused the two.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

It seems you don't understand ANN's policies on the matter: animenewsnetwork.com/faq#review_rating.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

It seems you don't understand ANN's policies on the matter: animenewsnetwork.com/faq#review_rating.

In what way does that contradict what I said?
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
EyeOfPain wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

In what way does that contradict what I said?

I believe that requires no further explanation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3