• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Gets Labor Day Weekend Marathon on Toonami

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
SeinenNinja wrote:
Dessa wrote:
Normally I'd either think this was nice and/or cool, or be indifferent to it... but these are episodes where some of them were only played not even 2 months ago. Toonami and [adult swim], in the past, have been quite known for repeating episodes ad nauseum until people would rather have them not on TV than to have to see them again.

If they're going to do a Labor Day marathon, I'd rather see movies, or something that isn't currently airing (or episodes that haven't been aired recently).

And so far Toonami has not done that. Every show they got had one run before it got kicked off the schedule for another show. This marathon is for people that maybe just got into AoT or have not seen all of the episodes that have aired. And hell, this just shows how popular AoT is on Toonami.

hopefully this will give the AOT committee more than enough reasons to give it a second season. its way too good an anime series to suffer the same manga laspe fate where people will have to go to the manga to continue with the story just like what happened with Deadman Wonderland , Tokko and especially Claymore.

also its good that GL got a release , however it should have been that way from the start instead of Sci Fi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
What no one has brought up is the fact that, being a holiday weekend, Labor Day ratings will be down substantially across the board for all networks, so there's no sense in [as] burning a bunch of premieres when a bunch of people won't be watching. The only reason that Space Dandy is still premiering that night is to maintain its simulcast status, or at least I'd assume so.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I guess it's Dandy only that night.

But the reason they're doing this is because I think if they hold a few shows back a week, a bunch of things will end on the same night. So it's not really Titan they're wanting to promote, more so them preparing for huge switcharoo coming up soon.

The faster Titan gets off the block, the better.
SeinenNinja

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
SeinenNinja wrote:
Dessa wrote:
Normally I'd either think this was nice and/or cool, or be indifferent to it... but these are episodes where some of them were only played not even 2 months ago. Toonami and [adult swim], in the past, have been quite known for repeating episodes ad nauseum until people would rather have them not on TV than to have to see them again.

If they're going to do a Labor Day marathon, I'd rather see movies, or something that isn't currently airing (or episodes that haven't been aired recently).

And so far Toonami has not done that. Every show they got had one run before it got kicked off the schedule for another show. This marathon is for people that maybe just got into AoT or have not seen all of the episodes that have aired. And hell, this just shows how popular AoT is on Toonami.

hopefully this will give the AOT committee more than enough reasons to give it a second season. its way too good an anime series to suffer the same manga laspe fate where people will have to go to the manga to continue with the story just like what happened with Deadman Wonderland , Tokko and especially Claymore.

also its good that GL got a release , however it should have been that way from the start instead of Sci Fi.

Dude, it's more or less guaranteed at this point that there will be more animated AoT, but the committee is waiting until they can get enough distance to do a second season and not lapse the manga.

As for TTGL, Bandai made the best move by putting it on the Ani-Monday block on SciFi instead of Adult Swim. Their action block was suffering their worst years during that time.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Well, I was frankly hoping for a movie like we got for last Labor Day with Evangelion 2.22. If it wasn't for the new episode of Space Dandy, this would probably be the first week since Toonami returned that I wouldn't bother watching.

Guess they'll probably do a marathon for episodes 13-25 as well in December.

And maybe we would have gotten that too if FUNimation hadn't indefinitely delayed the release of 3.33. I love those rare movie nights on Toonami, it's something brief and exhilarating that I can actually get into late on a Saturday night. Like when they had that month of movies last December. I'd totally watch Gurren Lagann if it wasn't airing so late. I can watch it any time I want, but it's still nice to be a part of the ratings I guess.

I've already seen the first 13 episodes of Attack on Titan at least three times in a row, so I think I'm good. At least this marathon will bump up Spasoo Dandeewa's new episode to the beginning of the block. Meaning that maybe for once I won't be on the verge of sleep when it airs! And from the short preview this next episode looks like it could be really interesting. There were a lot of interesting never before seen characters in it. Then again, every episode of Dandy is like that.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
Welp, I guess it's Dandy only that night.

But the reason they're doing this is because I think if they hold a few shows back a week, a bunch of things will end on the same night. So it's not really Titan they're wanting to promote, more so them preparing for huge switcharoo coming up soon.

The faster Titan gets off the block, the better.

I wouldnt be so sure about that. for one thing it might get the bleach timeslot when that series ends. also the other thing that considering that viewership wise AOT is very solid , once a second season comes around, it getting the 11:30 timeslot is almost a giveme.

SeinenNinja wrote:

Dude, it's more or less guaranteed at this point that there will be more animated AoT, but the committee is waiting until they can get enough distance to do a second season and not lapse the manga.

As for TTGL, Bandai made the best move by putting it on the Ani-Monday block on SciFi instead of Adult Swim. Their action block was suffering their worst years during that time.

That i know. however its as a said some of those series like deadman wonderland was doing the same thing cause it caught up with the manga too soon. now all of a sudden , all plans of a second season have ceased even though the manga is up and running again. its as a wise person said, no future is written in stone so the chances of a second season is not set in stone. there could be multiple circumstances like what happened with that series that could prevent a second season.

hopefully it wont be the case and there will be one. and if so it definitely should get the space dandy treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2