• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Popular Culture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobob101

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
My issue with Zankyou is that it feels incomplete. I understand that the boys goal is to somehow take down the organization that raised them. But at the same time, the zero deaths and how roundabout they seem to be going just leaves me feeling like there is something missing. I plan to keep watching, because I REALLY want to see their journey through to the end (my personal bet is only 1 boy makes it out alive) but when the episode ends and I reflect, something just feels off to me.

As for Gatchaman, it was a show I enjoyed as it streamed, but its not what I look for in an anime enough to buy it. But Mamoru Miyano is in my top 3 male voice actors.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:
Monica Rial turns in an incredible performance as Tomoko, perfectly navigating her many vocal quirks, from her raspy, warbling voice, to her barely audible mumbles—and my personal favorite, her mockery of the popular kids at school.

I was so happy to hear that Rial got the part - she is one of the best. There is an Anime Network preview with another voice actress (I think Brittney Karbowski?), who is very talented but DID NOT fit Tomoko whatsoever. I'm glad it was a false alarm.

Link to Scary Dub Preview...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf1kg2iDyAY

That wasn't a dub preview. It was simply an advertisement for it's run on Anime Network. It's actually fairly common for them to produce ads like this for shows that either don't get dubbed, or in which the voice over actor is not actually in the show. This was actually done LONG before the show was ever dubbed.

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:
Monica Rial turns in an incredible performance as Tomoko, perfectly navigating her many vocal quirks, from her raspy, warbling voice, to her barely audible mumbles—and my personal favorite, her mockery of the popular kids at school.

I was so happy to hear that Rial got the part - she is one of the best. There is an Anime Network preview with another voice actress (I think Brittney Karbowski?), who is very talented but DID NOT fit Tomoko whatsoever. I'm glad it was a false alarm.

Link to Scary Dub Preview...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf1kg2iDyAY

That wasn't a dub preview. It was simply an advertisement for it's run on Anime Network. It's actually fairly common for them to produce ads like this for shows that either don't get dubbed, or in which the voice over actor is not actually in the show.

Thanks for the tip mate!
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
I feel mixed on Terror. I like Nine and Twelve, but their lack of development irks me. They're supposed to be very close, but we don't see much of it. I found the focus on the detectives boring. Lisa remains rather useless. I felt for her when she was being bullied by her classmates and mother. I love her scene spoiler[on the motorcycle]. Since then, she's added absolutely nothing. I think she'll wind up as a plot device.

The lack of death and serious injury is pretty bad. spoiler[It helps us root for the duo, but it's very implausible. No way would they be able to control the outcomes of their explosions. Too many factors, too many civilians.] Why even play up the terrorist aspect if they aren't setting out to harm people? By the end of the series, they're likely to escape the label, anyway, when people understand their true intentions. (Whatever those are.)

It's still a fun show. Visually, it's excellent. I like the character designs. I'm interested to see the ending, and do hope it pulls something unexpected and impressive. But, unfortunately, its plotting leaves something to be desired. I don't feel anything for these characters, even though I know I'm supposed to be engaged with their bonds and struggles.

On Watamote: I need to finish the anime. I'm aware she becomes spoiler[rather unlikable in the manga. I'm not against that, though. In general media (animation, books, film, TV), we get positive portrayals of loner characters all the time. Tomoko is more reminiscent of those sorts who are overly critical of people they perceive as perfect, popular, or average. They become the enemy, because they seem happy and without struggles. However, I do think this turn might alienate those who relate to her. I wasn't exactly a social butterfly in high school, but my classmates were generally friendly and I never felt like Tomoko. Middle school was more my hell.]
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
Gatchaman Crowds was good, albeit strange. The animation and CG was great, and the music was cool (although I didn't really like the opening, the singer sounded bored and emotionless). Hajime was...interesting to say the least, but I liked Utsu-tsu and Berg was a fascinating villain. I probably won't buy it, but its a good watch. I need to see the director's cut though, is it up on Crunchyroll?

Watamote I've seen some of the dub, and Rial is great. That said, not my type of series, especially as Tomoko doesn't improve. My sis watched it, and that was her issue. Terror, I guess I'm odd but I'm not following it nor have interest in it. And those shelves are nice, but with so many anime series, are those all things that the person likes? Maybe its cause I mostly just buy series I plan to rewatch, but some of these collections seem a bit like overkill. Though it makes for an impressive collection.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Best part of the show though was the track 'gotchaman~in the name of love' that played during the transformation and some action scenes.

Agreed, damn that track was catchy as hell!

Covnam wrote:
I didn't know Terror in Resonance was by Shinichiro Watanabe, I'll definitely have to check it out now Very Happy

Yup.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
I need to see the director's cut though, is it up on Crunchyroll?

No, CR is airing the same version as Sentai released, the broadcast version without the better ending. Other than buying the Japanese Blu-rays there is no legal way to see it outside Japan.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
I'm watching Watamote at the moment and Monica Rial is pretty much the only thing that's keeping me from dropping the show. It's literally just 'Hey, let's laugh at this girl with major social anxiety issues'. It's about as depressing as Welcome to the NHK except not clever, thought provoking or laugh out loud hilarious.

Although what pisses me off about the English Dub being pretty solid is that it proves Sentai can produce a competent English Dub which begs the question why they continue to make terrible English dubs.

Is it because Emily Neves is just plain better than all the other ADR Directors and actually understands the tone of what she's working on? Or is it because the show got some special treatment?

If it's the latter then why the hell do shows like Watamote and HOTD get that 'special treatment' while shows like Mawaru Penguindrum get miscasts, main character voice actors changing halfway through the show, half-assed translations, incompetent direction and generally poor voice acting?

Well, at least the Infinite Stratos Dub sucked.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I'm watching Watamote at the moment and Monica Rial is pretty much the only thing that's keeping me from dropping the show. It's literally just 'Hey, let's laugh at this girl with major social anxiety issues'. It's about as depressing as Welcome to the NHK except not clever, thought provoking or laugh out loud hilarious.

People keep saying this about Watamote and - with you being absolutely no exception - they're all wrong. The show isn't about "this socially awkward girl is pathetic, now laugh at her". Tomoko is actually a sympathetic character, a moe character that deserves a big hug, not someone to poke fun of. Your entire approach to the show has been wrong, and if you're being fair then what you should do is rewatch it with the proper viewpoint in mind. You'll enjoy it a heck of a lot more than you have been.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I'm watching Watamote at the moment and Monica Rial is pretty much the only thing that's keeping me from dropping the show. It's literally just 'Hey, let's laugh at this girl with major sociacaulfielnxiety issues'. It's about as depressing as Welcome to the NHK except not clever, thought provoking or laugh out loud hilarious.

People keep saying this about Watamote and - with you being absolutely no exception - they're all wrong. The show isn't about "this socially awkward girl is pathetic, now laugh at her". Tomoko is actually a sympathetic character, a moe character that deserves a big hug, not someone to poke fun of. Your entire approach to the show has been wrong, and if you're being fair then what you should do is rewatch it with the proper viewpoint in mind. You'll enjoy it a heck of a lot more than you have been.

Am split on Tomoko. I feel for her,but at the end day most of her issues are brought on herself from her misguided views of the world. Also she's not exactly the nicest person(the way she labels everyone really reminds me of Holden Caulfield) and comes off as pretty selfish at points. She is great character though and you can't help but love her enthusiasm.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Although what pisses me off about the English Dub being pretty solid is that it proves Sentai can produce a competent English Dub which begs the question why they continue to make terrible English dubs.

Chris Ayres is directing too many shows, might be part of the reason. Half come out good, half not so good. Most of what Kyle Jones directs comes out well done.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Yes, that's another problem actually. On top of the scenes where they just bully Tomoko for shits and giggles, the show also likes to bully her to gain sympathy from the audience. Which isn't really much better.

Actually, those scenes are probably even more uncomfortable for me to watch than most of the comedy scenes. Even with Monica Rial's performance those scenes are just painful to watch in all the wrong ways no matter what perspective I look at it from.

I remember thinking in episode 2 "Hey, maybe this show is going in the right direction" but then it ended with this massive punch in the gut where a bunch of dumb gags destroyed basically everything good that happened in the episode. But hey, let's just say that they weren't just dumb gags and I was supposed to feel bad for her after those scenes. How is that any better?

Oh, and let's not forget that Tomoko has an awful personality which she does next to nothing to change. Of course I'm annoyed at the constant bullying because of how pointlessly unpleasant it is. But that doesn't exactly translate into me feeling bad for her.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
It's worth noting that the Sentai release of Gatchaman Crowds doesn't include the Japanese Bluray director's cut of the last episode and instead has the more nonsensical TV finale. It's pretty unfortunate. Still a good show. Kinda bummed they didn't keep Hajime's bizarre speech pattern in the dub

Surprised Bamboo didn't mention the problem with the ending. The final battle against the main villain is just skipped over. Show is like, oh yeah, Hajime beat him. Sentai should have included the OVA as it is integral to the final episode. Makes you wonder if they ran out of money, or if they didn't include the final battle on purpose to get people to buy the OVA.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Tomoko was completely unsympathetic in the manga - it's the only way cringe comedy works {Think Fawlty Towers, only Japanese}. Once you start thinking "Why doesn't she change?" or "Why can't those guys around her see how much she's trying?", you, and the creators, miss how this comedy style works.

She's not cute, she's not moe, she spiteful and pathetic and you laugh at her because you sure as hell can't laugh with her.

It could have worked. In fact, it should have worked because it's not as if you can't find a model to copy. Even in anime, there's this girl named Excel...

I can't enjoy it for what it is because I knew what it was. And preferred it that way.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
gedata wrote:
It's worth noting that the Sentai release of Gatchaman Crowds doesn't include the Japanese Bluray director's cut of the last episode and instead has the more nonsensical TV finale. It's pretty unfortunate. Still a good show. Kinda bummed they didn't keep Hajime's bizarre speech pattern in the dub

Surprised Bamboo didn't mention the problem with the ending. The final battle against the main villain is just skipped over. Show is like, oh yeah, Hajime beat him. Sentai should have included the OVA as it is integral to the final episode. Makes you wonder if they ran out of money, or if they didn't include the final battle on purpose to get people to buy the OVA.

NTV, the Japanese company whom Sentai licensed the series from, might have made the OVA not available for licensing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4