• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Terra Formars GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
MohaCario wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
The cockroaches are clearly based on exaggerated body structures of black people....

Isn't it racist to say and a stereotype that every blackskinned man has a huge body structure ?
And everyone can be a cockroach if you "exaggerate" it.

I also though of that it, its more racist to assume they are based on black people than the cockroaches themself.

Unless we get some proof of it being racist, i.e the author admitting it was based on black people and not the homo eretcus, I doubt I will ever change my opinion on this.
A lot of people seem to have forgotten that a lot of the old stereotypes for black people are based on the belief that black people are 'lesser' evolved humans. You know what a 'lesser' evolved human looked like? The homo eretcus.

So now we can't make any humanoid creature resemble the homo eretcus because its racist?

You're simply playing passive and trying to label me racist for pointing out what the author is clearly doing. That's just you being negligent and trying to redirect the blame when I'm simply pointing out the obvious. Why would the author flat out come out and say he's racist? "Oh yeah, I just really want some controversy and have my manga's reputation totally stained by my prejudice thoughts." That's the whole reason he's only doing it in the manga to begin with - to hide his messages and thoughts in a work of fiction. That doesn't make it any less offensive given how it is hardly that subtle, and even if it was more subtle, prejudice is prejudice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
A work can't be racist unless its intended to be racist.

That's one of the most incorrect statements I have ever read in my entire 31 years of life. If you worked for a decade at intentionally being as ignorant as that statement is, you'd still wouldn't be half as mind-bogglingly off.

Of course a work can be racist if it's not intended to be. But the person who MADE it isn't necessarily racist if they didn't intend it to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
FINALLY SOMEONE POINTS OUT THE BLATANT RACISM! Geez, all the critic reviews and fans I've seen seem to miss the extremely obvious and offensive racism and stereotyping, it's disgusting.

Speaking as a black man, I never drew the comparison between the roachmen and black people. Maybe you guys need to ask yourselves why you instantly drew the comparison between the two.. smh

Japan has no major history with enslaving black people. They definitely do look like homo erectus. If depicting homo erectus in media is now racist because some white guys used it as a means of insulting blacks, then big deal man, let those racists do whatever they want. Is this like the manji where it's taboo to use it because people confuse it with the swastika? If people are too ignorant to know history or truth that's their own problem. Homo erectus isn't something to avoid especially in a culture that probably doesn't even know the comparison. Last I went to school we still taught about homo erectus in biology class. Please tell me they didn't take that out of the text books since then, man.
SiLVER820

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
@Rederoin: They're not saying that the designs are based of off black people. They're saying that the designs are based of off racist charactertures of black people. I don't believe that the artist is racist, exactly. He's most likely just racially ignorant.
MohaCario

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
You're simply playing passive and trying to label me racist for pointing out what the author is clearly doing. That's just you being negligent and trying to redirect the blame when I'm simply pointing out the obvious. Why would the author flat out come out and say he's racist? "Oh yeah, I just really want some controversy and have my manga's reputation totally stained by my prejudice thoughts." That's the whole reason he's only doing it in the manga to begin with - to hide his messages and thoughts in a work of fiction. That doesn't make it any less offensive given how it is hardly that subtle, and even if it was more subtle, prejudice is prejudice.

You are talking like you know that that was his intention. The racist thing that you saw in them were YOUR thoughts and not the author's. The author clearly based them on homo erectus.

[Mod Edit: Please don't quote whole walls of text. Only the last posts quote is required. - Keonyn]
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I was gonna stay out of this after seeing how quickly this derailed into insanity but might as well say my piece:

As a black person myself I'm honestly not really offended by the Terraformars designs. As many have already pointed out the idea behind the character designs is pretty clearly based on depictions of homo erectus and given Japan's usual ignorance on racial matters, I'm far more willing to believe that's where the author got it from then some super racist agenda.

That said the series is full of racial sterotypes, some much more blatant than others but for the most part it generally doesn't feel like it's trying to shove them down your throat and it's mostly harmless as the cast gets more diverse later on and there are more to root for.

Personally I don't take the series that seriously since everything thing from the plot to the characters is really goofy despite how seriously it takes itself, but it's totally understandable that people are offended by some of the material and trying to proclaim people as being morons for being offended is kind of unnecessary since some of the material is a bit dodgy.

I will say though that the series does get better about treatment of it's female characters later on (though that creepy cup size thing never goes away) but what was said is pretty much right for everything that happens in the first volume.

Last edited by Divineking on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Angel'sArcanum

Do stealing cars and getting them high really have to be plot points then? Why do those need to be incorporated into it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SiLVER820

I do want to say that I am a young black man and wasn't truly offended by the roaches. I did notice that it looked like the chatacterture, but it didn't bother me very much. Like I said: I don't think he's racist. But ignorant? Consodering the culture, I wouldn't put it past him.

Edit: Not to say that being ignorant excuses him. It's still racist.

Last edited by SiLVER820 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I've been looking forward to the adaptation of this series, but yeah, racism and sexism, hooray. Rolling Eyes Think I'll pass on this.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
I was gonna stay out of this after seeing how quickly this derailed into insanity but might as well say my piece:

As a black person myself I'm honestly not really offended by the Terraformars designs. As many have already pointed out the idea behind the character designs is pretty clearly based on depictions of homo erectus and given Japan's usual ignorance on racial matters, I'm far more willing to believe that's where the author got it from then some super racist agenda.

That said the series is full of racial sterotypes, some much more blatant than others but for the most part it generally doesn't feel like it's trying to shove them down your throat and it's mostly harmless as the cast gets more diverse later on and there are more to root for.

Personally I don't take the series that seriously since everything thing from the plot to the characters is really goofy despite how seriously it takes itself, but it's totally understandable that people are offended by some of the material and trying to proclaim people as being morons for being offended is kind of unnecessary since some of the material is a bit dodgy.

I will say though that the series does get better about treatment of it's female characters later on (though that creepy cup size thing never goes away) but what was said is pretty much right for everything that happens in the first volume.

Well thank you for the composed and thorough response at least.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Do stealing cars and getting them high really have to be plot points then? Why do those need to be incorporated into it?

That first one is to spoiler[highlight their intellegence] and that second one doesn't happen...at all
MohaCario

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:

Could you please tell where you found these kind of statements, because I've never seen them in there.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I was sent a few links a couple months back of images pertaining to those things, but now I'm having trouble finding them at the moment, I'll keep digging.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
MohaCario wrote:
There supposed to be HUMANOID cockroaches and not just huge cockroaches. So it's obvious that they have human eyes instead of compound eyes and two legs instead of six.

Yes, and that was something the author chose to do. He could've made them realistic giant cockroaches, or even vaguely humanoid cockroaches with six limbs and insectile faces. But he didn't. He chose this route, and it has certain implications. Saying, "But they're supposed to be humanoid cockroaches" doesn't negate that.

MohaCario wrote:
You are talking like you know that that was his intention. The racist thing that you saw in them were YOUR thoughts and not the author's. The author clearly based them on homo erectus.

Not this old argument. It was stupid fifteen years ago when people were claiming that you had to be racist to see Asian, Jewish and black stereotypes in The Phantom Menace. No, you just need to be familiar with the history of racist imagery.
daichi383

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Another black guy here and yeah, when i first saw the roaches i didn't immediately think "hey, is that supposed to look like a black person?" but some of the arguments you guys presented do have some amount of merit but there is also a bit of projecting at play here. Not discounting anyones opinion but in my mind I chalk it up to some amount of ignorance in regards to things that could potentially be misconstrued in a certain way but as stated intent doesn't really amount to much if it still comes off a certain way.

For example I'm sure Toriyama didn't have any ill intentions when designing Mr Popo but some people will still see that character in a certain way.

Either way i'm not really a fan of the series because of its other problems but the roaches do definitely look like Homo Erectus to me but i can see why some may be offended. So yeah, i don't think we can just immediately dismiss some peoples feelings because anime as a medium doesn't exactly represent other races in the most politically correct manner anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10