• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bulbasaur Planter Sales Halted for Copyright Infringement

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
Wait, what? So they shut down this thing that kinda looks like Bulbasaur, but ignore the metric tons of fanart and gym badges and other explicitly Pokemon-based things sold at conventions and on Etsy and so on? That makes no sense.

Unless this is a bootleg of a specific item, i.e. there's an official-merch Bulbasaur pot that looks exactly like that, I'm more inclined to believe the artist is getting phished or something.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:01 am Reply with quote
It kinda surprises me that out of all of the bootleg/fanmade Pokemon merchandise, Pokemon International goes after this one. They have some weird idea of selling pokemon-shaped planters in the future? Or is this the start of a crackdown on unofficial merchandise?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pauladls

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote
lol look the junichi masuda twitter he doesnt know about this article
https://twitter.com/Junichi_Masuda troll people Very Happy Very Happy
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Wait, what? So they shut down this thing that kinda looks like Bulbasaur, but ignore the metric tons of fanart and gym badges and other explicitly Pokemon-based things sold at conventions and on Etsy and so on? That makes no sense.
Japanese rightsholders do that all the time. Once you're outside of a convention, though, you're wandering around the firing range.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Lain'sHairline wrote:
bastek66 wrote:
American copyrights are cancer.

After studying them extensively in college I can't help but second this.

Obtuse, convoluted babbling for money grubbing purposes. Needed, but horribly managed.

This is true, but the creator was clearly trying to make a bulbasaur potted plant.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:

Because 3D printers are still obscenely expensive.

No, no they're not. Smile
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Unless this is a bootleg of a specific item, i.e. there's an official-merch Bulbasaur pot that looks exactly like that, I'm more inclined to believe the artist is getting phished or something.

Nintendo's probably got some employees that are mad they didn't think of this first.
Personally I think it's too bad that it happened because it's a very cute and original idea for something fan-made. Maybe if they just sold them at conventions it'd be okay, like how at the summer and winter Wonfes there are people who sell multiples of unofficial figures they produce.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This was bootleg merchandise full stop and nobody should be surprised or upset by it getting shut down.
Understandable but this happens with many other franchises. Why aren't they being shut down for using a character's likeness? Then again, Nintendo's picky with their products, just look at their stance on video game streaming and region locking.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
I think the problem here is that a 3D print can be mass produced...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2