• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man With A Decepticon Maserati Is Arrested For Impersonating Police

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
I was going to write a post saying "inb4 someone says Decepticon = Deception" but I did not thinking "Come on, nobody is going to do it" *facepalm* Amurrica, more than meets the eye ...

You should expect stupid comments in a stupid argument.

If the car had a simple Bluesmobile paint job, it likely wouldn't have been a big deal, but once the guy added lettering and numbers in the places you'd expect them on a police vehicle, you're skirting a line you probably shouldn't be skirting as a law-abiding citizen.

And I doubt it helped cops, as it could make it harder for them to meet their ticket quotas each month.

This.

And I've been pulled over by a police vehicle with LED lights inside the car instead of overhead ones.

You can't even be subtly impersonating police. Period.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
Getting pulled over is to be expected, but when the officer walked over to the car and saw Decepticon written on the sides, that is where it should have ended. Hell, I would have had my picture taken next to it.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Getting pulled over is to be expected, but when the officer walked over to the car and saw Decepticon written on the sides, that is where it should have ended.

But then he continued to read punish and enslave and then he thought "Hey, he is impersonating us!" Anime hyper
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The driver, who asked to remain anonymous, regularly changes the color of the US$99,698 car with plasti dip

Yep, this bastard needs to go to jail.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Getting pulled over is to be expected, but when the officer walked over to the car and saw Decepticon written on the sides, that is where it should have ended. Hell, I would have had my picture taken next to it.
That doesnt solve the problem. From a distance, it STILL looks like a cop car. Most cars are seen from a distance, so that matters more than up close in detail. People mistook it as a police car. I think at most, he'll get a ticket but nothing too major since he didn't actually TRY to pull anyone over and such.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
The only ticket he should be getting it for speeding or some other traffic violation because last I checked "impersonating a police officer" isn't really a ticketable offense.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, it does put a different light on the matter if he went to the police beforehand to make sure the design was road legal, and an officer approved of it.

That said, considering the design does show the words "Police" printed on the side of the car, combined with the classic color scheme, I can see how other officers would consider that as impersonation. I'm curious what the relevant laws are in Massachussetts, and how they'd be interpreted in this case (from what I've read, certain states require that there not be any police identification markings on the vehicle).
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I hope they arrest strippers who pose as police officers too. Wink
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Unless he was wearing a police uniform, his car is clearly not a official police car. Will probably be thrown out in court, but it is a waste of government money.
Apparently to some people it was. That's enough evidence really. If general population will think it's a police car, then it is too similar.

Police departments sell out of service vehicles all the time. If they are street legal, then his car is street legal. Doesn't matter what the general populace think, unless he is pulling people over. What about people who cosplay or dress up as police officers on Halloween or at parties.

Impersonating a police officer means you are falsely pretending to be a police officer. Dressing up or having a car that sort of looks like one is not impersonating a police officer. Pulling people over, detaining people, and claiming you are a police officer IS impersonating officer.

Yeah, he will be pulled over occasionally, but that should be the extant of it.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Personally I don't think that he's impersonating police. If people slow down just because they think it's a police car, it is not any bad thing, is it? It's not like he's pulling over random cars, dressing like a cop and making silly charges or demands. He just painted his car white and black, without police sirens too, plus he already got a permission.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Again, I think it's probably an important factor that it does actually say "Police" on the side of his car, at least according to the original design. That alone may be enough to push it over from "looking like" to outright impersonation, if the laws in his state specifically ban such markings on normal vehicles.

Though if you really think about, his intent was more about impersonating a robot impersonating the police. Laughing It's a funny case.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
If having "police" on the side of the car was enough to qualify as "impersonating an officer" then I may as well be arrested, at least when I was a kid with a fake badge that said "police" on it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Ronin2081 wrote:

If having "police" on the side of the car was enough to qualify as "impersonating an officer" then I may as well be arrested, at least when I was a kid with a fake badge that said "police" on it.

Did ya have anything else to seem like police besides the badge? It's the sum of things, not just one thing or another, that's to be determined here.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Does that really matter?

The person in the story wasn't doing anything to impersonate an officer, as far as we know, other then evidently having "police" on his vehicle. You can say it's also because his vehicle was painted "similar" to a police car but that doesn't hold up too well when toy consider the fact that every year there are police stations selling old patrol cars that often never get repainted and only have the light bars and decals poorly scraped off.

So anyone with something that says "Police" on it should be treated the same way. Of course that is a stupid notion since obviously little kids playing cops/robbers or using toys that might say "police" doesn't mean those kids are impersonating a Law Enforcement officer any more then someone with a shirt that has FBI and then in small print underneath "Female Body/Booty Inspector".
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Ronin2081 wrote:

Does that really matter?

The sum of things matters in the court of law that will determine the case.
They're not arguing this case in front of us - they're arguing it there.

(Just a reminder to anyone ever pulled over by police for a ticket: you're not arguing the case on the street full of pedestrians - save your arguments for later in court.)

Ronin2081 wrote:

So anyone with something that says "Police" on it should be treated the same way. Of course that is a stupid notion since obviously little kids playing cops/robbers or using toys that might say "police" doesn't mean those kids are impersonating a Law Enforcement officer any more then someone with a shirt that has FBI and then in small print underneath "Female Body/Booty Inspector".

Nobody would believe a kid to be a police officer or a simple FBI shirt.
It's the sum of things, not just one thing or another.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6