• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Got a Vita just to play this. Wheeeee.

Man the cool down times are a pain in the ass. I hope they get shorter as you level up. It is pretty interesting you start the game at level 100 and you have access to a lot of skills.

Only on the first Hollow Mission right now. Had to redo it a bunch of times because I kept trying to beat that level 128 enemy. Guess I'm not familiar enough with the battle system to pull that off yet.

I'm liking Philia so far. She certainly has a nice design. Looking forward to meeting up with the other girls.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Somebody need to explain the waifu system for this game. I wanna get it like right now, but I need more info.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure you invite the girls (and Klein) to party with you during quests and such. So just do everything with the girl whose ending you want, I guess.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, well colour me impressed.

It certainly feels like SAO. From the moment you "Link Start", the presentation looks superb. I decided to keep Kirito the same, but it may be fun to create my own character sometime in the future. The cutscene's look fantastic - the recap of the Kirito fight with Heathcliff looks particularly pretty.

I've played for just over an hour so far, just reaching the other side of the recap. The story seems interesting and the designs of Sinon and Philia look very nice. She definitely needs a cameo in the anime sometime.

The clean cut of the Season 1 opening, "Crossing Field" was a very nice touch. Can't wait to play more. Very Happy
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Somebody need to explain the waifu system for this game. I wanna get it like right now, but I need more info.

After playing for a few hours, I think I've got to grips with the Waifu system. Basically, you can have one person (male or female) to accompany you whilst you quest or just hang around the town. You can swap at anytime by just approaching a different character and asking to create a party.

This person gains affection experience when defeating enemies and being complimented out in the field. In the town, you can chat, give weapons/ possibly gifts? and buy food to increase the affection. You can do this for everyone, so you don't just have to pick one and stick with her.

So far I've only seen the first three affectionate ranks. 1- Neutral, 2- Friendly, 3- Intimate. Asuna starts at 3, but at the rank you still aren't able to hold her hand or pick her up, so I'm guessing that would be rank 4 and above. The others start at rank 2.

If you want to see all the waifu cutscenes then prepare for a grind as Leafa starts at lvl69 and Sinon at lvl58, so you'd have to level them substantially first before they'd become useful against the harder mobs. Gaining Affection in town looked to be taking a very long time, with the experience bar barely creeping up. Once again, I think the best way would be to have them party with you in the field.

I'm going to try and get them full affection each, starting with Leafa. Oh, and for an awkward situation, try taking Asuna with you to see Philia. Laughing
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
It's too late I got the game yo lol

Okay, so lots of grinding... I'd better choose wisely then.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Damn, so this is one of those games where equipment determines your appearence? I hate that because I equip the stuff that gives me the best stats and that always results in a terrible looking outfit.

Also I hate DLC you have to buy in game... Can't even give the girls armor until I increase their affinity more.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote
I hear you. I was kinda hoping for a system where you can keep your appearance but change your equipment. But maybe its a little much to ask for a vita game.

The Wedding dress/ Swimsuit DLC pack is free to us in Europe as we had to pay a little bit more for the game. Also I've read that the new content update will be available to us on September 23rd. Hopefully it'll be free.

Went to the Dungeon Boss on floor 76 and got it to 1/3 hp remaining before Asuna died. Cool downs are a pain and she wouldn't move out of its Aoe attack so I couldn't do anything. Going to check out the Hollow zone later, if Asuna lets me party with Philia that is... Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
The Wedding dress/ Swimsuit DLC pack is free to us in Europe as we had to pay a little bit more for the game.

It's free for us in NA too, but what I meant is that you still need to buy the outfits from a store in-game using in-game money.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:06 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, the further I get, the worse the translation gets (I'm not even that far... I did like one hollow mission and I still have no idea what I'm doing other than mashing). I actually cannot understand what the hell people are saying half the time now lol
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Shikiari wrote:
The Wedding dress/ Swimsuit DLC pack is free to us in Europe as we had to pay a little bit more for the game.

It's free for us in NA too, but what I meant is that you still need to buy the outfits from a store in-game using in-game money.

Ah my bad, I misread your earlier post. The outfits are quite expensive, but since you can't use any of them yet I'll have time to save up.

The translation hasn't been so much of a problem for me, sure there are a few niggles here and there but I can overlook that. I've just been busy grinding to level Leafa up at the moment, until she's a decent level to take on a few of the tougher mobs.

Anyone notice how Sinon has a 'I don't really give a ****' attitude. A big difference compared to the GGO Sinon we're seeing currently in the anime.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, this Sinon has amnesia. She seems to be the kind of girl Shino wants to eventually be.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Managed to romance Leafa earlier and witness the bedroom "cutscene". Damn she's cute, haha. I think I'll either try Philia or Sinon next.

To get the cutscene you have to chat with one of them until their mood is a rank 5 "in Love". You then bridal carry them up the stairs in Agil's shop and walk over to the bed to activate it. Leafa was rank 4 in affection when I attempted this, so not sure whether you have to be this rank or lower to allow this to happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1