• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks: Gatchaman Crowds Release Does Not Include Director's Cut Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KakulonSSJ4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
Then don't buy it... simple as that... show them how much of a protestor you are to their shoddy practices. I got better things to do than argue with you.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:26 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Well, then it's worthless. If you support this incomplete release, you deserve not seeing the last episode. New low, Sentai, new low.
As unfortunate as this is, I don't know why you assume it's Sentai's fault. It could be (and likely is) the fault on the Japanese side of things. It's not uncommon for there to be legal and financial hurdles in licensing their shows.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:13 am Reply with quote
I liked it the way I first watched it- a battle so anticlimactic, it wasn't even shown. The perfect ending for a villain so full of himself like Berge Katz.

And if it gets released as a separate OVA, it'd certainly be more worthwhile than Drifters of the Dead.

I liked the idea that it was Rightstuf who asked Sentai and this is the response they got; Sentai didn't it was necessary to spell it out until a distributor had questions.

Anyway, I still have it preordered. Wait, it's out, isn't it?
Hmm.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Well, then it's worthless. If you support this incomplete release, you deserve not seeing the last episode. New low, Sentai, new low.
As unfortunate as this is, I don't know why you assume it's Sentai's fault. It could be (and likely is) the fault on the Japanese side of things. It's not uncommon for there to be legal and financial hurdles in licensing their shows.

Legal problems or not, these localization companies need to do their research before going for a show and make sure Japan gives them everything for a quality release. Not including the real final episode is just a low quality release thats not worth my money.

Its becoming increasingly problematic lately with Funimation dropping the ball on several titles and others are as well.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
Yay more damaged goods for sale!

I need to start making a list of things that I can't buy.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Yeah, makes perfect sense. TTGR would have been just as awesome without that pesky final battle. Should have just cut to the wedding when TTGR appeared.
TTGR = Time Trek Gopher Returns ?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Yeah, makes perfect sense. TTGR would have been just as awesome without that pesky final battle. Should have just cut to the wedding when TTGR appeared.
TTGR = Time Trek Gopher Returns ?

Everyone knows the sequel is nowhere near as good as the original TTG.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Everyone knows the sequel is nowhere near as good as the original TTG.

Oh, come on, the Dark Gopher arc was really well made. Sure, the usage of clones was a bit much but the way the approached the process was slightly inventive.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
>complaining because you still can't understand that most OVAs have different production committees than the TV series that they're for

Yeah, it sucks that the release is not including the extra content, but that's the way it is; the material belongs to a different committee -> It's like the Attack on Titan OVAs (most OVAs for that matter), most BD specials, and most movies, a different production committee than the TV series.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
>complaining because you still can't understand that most OVAs have different production committees than the TV series that they're for

Yeah, it sucks that the release is not including the extra content, but that's the way it is; the material belongs to a different committee -> It's like the Attack on Titan OVAs (most OVAs for that matter), most BD specials, and most movies, a different production committee than the TV series.

I'm not interested in which production committee did what; I'm interested in the state of the product being offered for sale. This release is incomplete and not worth buying; that's the way it is.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
Have seen the Director's Cut episode, and I honestly don't think that it really adds too much to the overall story.

Still, there's going to be a season 2 of this...so there is a possibility that Sentai may go out and get the OVA when they go in for season 2.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
@DmonHiro: Do you not read the article?? This is the Japanese fault, not Sentai.

After reading this article the first time it proves to me that the Japanese production seem to look down on international anime fans, if they weren't, then the director's cut episode would've been included and this article wouldn't have been written.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
KInd of wish I knew this before I got my BD set and opened it up. Well, it's nothing I can do now, unless Sentai announces they are replacing the last disc with the DC episode added in.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
After reading this article the first time it proves to me that the Japanese production seem to look down on international anime fans, if they weren't, then the director's cut episode would've been included and this article wouldn't have been written.

I know more about this then you do, apparently. The OVA wasn't supposed to exist at all. They never planed on making it, thus there was no way include it in the original deal. It's not even OVA to be exact. It's the completed episode 12. The original deal was probably for 12 episodes. But this completed episode was not included because it's technically a 13th episode, even though it is the planned ending to the anime. And no, it wasn't made by another company. I have no idea where you people got that idea. It's the same studio, and the same people that worked on the
whole TV show. I don't see how another company can own it, like Sentai claims.

PS: No, Sentai was not being honorable in admitting this. They were asked about this specifically, and had no choice but to fess up. Had they not have been asked, you would not have known about until people got their discs, just like with Funimation.

What needed to be done was for another contract to be made for that last episode. Sentai was either refused by the Japanese, or Sentai didn't care enough to try. Either way, it does not matter. All that matters is the end product, witch is Incomplete. That is fact. There is no way to dance around the issue that the shows intended ending is not on Sentai's release. If you want to support incomplete shows, that's your business, except you are screwing over people who want an actual quality product. And no, you can't have a quality product if you're missing something as important as this. Q.A.D.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Sentai was either refused by the Japanese, or Sentai didn't care enough to try. Either way, it does not matter. All that matters is the end product, witch is Incomplete.

As far as me, I never expected Sentai to release that "extra special" episode because I consider it a bonus. Sentai promised to sell the tv series, which officially is the 12 episodes that aired on Japan.

DmonHiro wrote:
If you want to support incomplete shows, that's your business, except you are screwing over people who want an actual quality product. And no, you can't have a quality product if you're missing something as important as this.

Sentai did not screw anyone. And if you are that offended about how anime North American companies run their businesses, go ahead and instead buy as many super expensive Japanese releases as you want.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5