• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter Manga Goes on 2-Week Hiatus Due to Back Pain

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm in two minds, one I laughed when I was the article title and thought "surprise surprise, that didn't take long" but at the same time I thought; hell if he wants to take a break he can. He's essentially self employed, if he wants to take a break then he can do. If he wants to take 2 or 5 years off then he's entitled to. I know people get frustrated because they enjoy the story and people who buy the manga have invested money for that enjoyment but I can't justify forcing someone to do something when they don't want to at that point in time - they only thing that's going to suffer is the product. Now I'm not stanning for him, hell I really did not like the Ant arc but I'm happy to wait because if I was in his position and could take a 2 year break and other smaller hiatuses from work I would.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:

The backpain might be serious. I see a yuyu like ending coming soon.

Well let's wait and see. Yuyu Hakusho ended the way it did because Togashi completely lost interest. You can find interviews with him saying as much. He clearly has plenty in the tank for H x H given how complex the DC arc has been.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Yesterday, I read the article annoucing the anime is gonna be end and today...this! Shocked

Togashi...wish you a speedy recovery.
patrick.enfield.9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
patrick.enfield.9 wrote:
How disrespectful. Togashi might be considered somewhat lazy as he doesnt take the same health damage other mangaka are willing to take for their series. However his writing is amazing and you can't deny he is putting insane effort into details in his plot.
Yes the art is inconsistent, its still one of the 3 best Manga the wsj has to offer. Togashi is a great writer and his manga deserves much more attention imo.

Oh, my I am so sorry if my words happen to hurt you. I didn't put any swear words or anything so I can't really say that I was being disrespectful.

It's just, like others say, no matter how good he is at storytelling and making details into his plot like you say, I don't think that he deserves more chance for break or multiple hiatuses.
Even FMA's Hiromu Arakawa already gave birth three times but I rarely hear her asking for hiatus. (and yeah, I know that she's currently slowing down her works to take care of her relatives, and that's the first time I heard something like that from her)

At least, please try to make the art looks acceptable for weekly published magazine. (Honestly I don't even know how the editor can just publish it weekly with only rough draft-like sketches.)
I know that he fixes the art for the tankoubon, but still, please keep the quality. Like PSYCHO-PASS QUALITY episode 18, I would likely to laugh than take it serious when I have to read serious plot in horrible art quality.

To be honest, I'm not like you, not a fan of Togashi, but I hope the best for him. It's sad that he is in poor health and he had to put the series into hiatus again and again. May he get well soon and give the fans what they deserve.

I am sorry I might have overreacted by calling your comment disrespectful. However I am not a fanboy of togashi, I actually agreed that he is lazy and his reasons for Hiatuses are not always justified. I'm just not okay with the fact that you said his manga should get less recognition because of this. What Matters is the quality of a series, and I have seen so many stories go downhill, naruto being an extreme example lately. Hunter x Hunter didn't have any critical downhills so far, even the chimera ant arc, which felt like a really damn long side story, is pretty impressive as an homage to akira toriyama. Its like Tigashi's answer to toriyama's sort of writing, which consists mostly of battles, while togashi made the chimera ant arc more like a psychological warfare á la Early Death Note .
Lusbox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Only on volume 14, so hopefully it'll move plenty past this point by the time i catch up Laughing

Still, wish him a speedy recovery.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
He needs to kickback in a room full of writers and start laying out the story so they can get it done, instead of waiting for him to get around to it.

I wonder how much of HxH he has planned ahead. He aint doing this for financial gain. Takeuchi's got his back. Could be another Ten years before we get any more animated.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
I know that he fixes the art for the tankoubon, but still, please keep the quality.

Eh, there is no "but still." Weekly Shonen Jump is 200 yen, which is roughly 2 dollars. Two dollars for ~20 chapters of manga. And then the individual volumes for each series is in the realm of 4-5 dollars. It's really not that big of a deal if the magazine's initial run doesn't look perfect.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
All that Dragon Quest must have affected his back. Get well soon or in 2 weeks...
D-Rock

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
The way the title's written makes it sound like they're saying the manga itself has a pain in it's back.
The_way67

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
LOL. What else is new? It's not a good day without HxH hiatus news! LOL.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote
Get well soon Togashi-san! Ganbatte!
Sinbad96

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
With the art so inconsistent it's beyond recognition I'm actually surprised that this manga still has so many viewers.

How about you draw something so detailed.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Togashi's laziness is rather quite lacking in professionalism, relative to most of his peers in the industry.

In the financial (ie practical, real world) sense, yea, he's earned the ability to do whatever he wants whenever he wants because anything he makes next for HXH will be a guaranteed top seller.
In the moral sense, it's kind of insulting to every other mangaka meeting their schedule.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Sinbad96 wrote:

You can tell what's a good music or not without being able to compose music yourself. A lot of professional art critiques can't even paint, and professional food critiques can't cook. It's common.

Also I must note that I'm not a fan of Togashi so I didn't know what's the recent art looks like. I apologize because the last time I bought WSJ was when HxH was published in sketch quality.
And that quality was so legendary, it sticks to people's mind even after the art greatly improved.

And I agree with Somewhere. In my opinion, he's insulting other weekly mangakas who are able to meet their deadline with decent quality. (Some of his fans are even mocking him by saying that he's too busy with Dragon Quest so he just don't have the time to draw anymore.)
taco123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
Sinbad96 wrote:
shiranehito wrote:
With the art so inconsistent it's beyond recognition I'm actually surprised that this manga still has so many viewers.

Not his problem, apologist. If something is a scribble, it's a scribble. That's no ones fault besides Togashi's. Apparently these scribbles were fixed in the volumes. That's awesome (and I'd have bought them if I knew). Sadly, I'm not (and I doubt anyone else is) convinced to buy his volumes when the chapters displayed in WSJ are artistically less than ecstatic.

On topic: I have sympathy for Togashi's current hiatus. Back pain sucks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4