• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mandarake Shoplifter Finally Turns Himself In

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
So the incident (or amusement, in the eyes of the media) has come to end? Thank goodness. Okay reporters - go back to your office.

Case Closed
yappers4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quick question: if they haven't published the photo of the shoplifter, then who is that in the article's preview picture? Is it the shoplifter or is it a generic photo edited to obscure facial identity?
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
Quick question: if they haven't published the photo of the shoplifter, then who is that in the article's preview picture? Is it the shoplifter or is it a generic photo edited to obscure facial identity?

More accurately, "published the uncensored photo".
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so he turned himself in. Shocked

For a minute, I thought he would get away with it, but I'm surprised he finally turn himself in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
It's great that he turned himself, but I hope he still gets some sort of punishment. The item has been returned but a crime is still a crime. He can't just get away with this. If there's no punishment at all, perhaps in the future people might want to steal and return, and then Mandarake can change the business title into toy rental Laughing
kasarrah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
It's great that he turned himself, but I hope he still gets some sort of punishment. The item has been returned but a crime is still a crime. He can't just get away with this. If there's no punishment at all, perhaps in the future people might want to steal and return, and then Mandarake can change the business title into toy rental Laughing

"and is currently under arrest on suspicion of theft. "
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Some sources list that he had already sold the figure, which increased the crimes against him...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Here's someone's take:

• The alleged thief took the toy to another store and sold it to them for 64,000 yen. As is normal the store asked for ID and he showed his (non-photo) health insurance card. The store did not refuse to buy the item nor did they notify the police. The police went to all the stores in the area that might deal in such an item. They found an item that resembled the stolen one, found a man on the store surveillance video who resembled the man on the video from Mangadarake. They got his info that the store had got from his ID. They got him to come in voluntarily for questioning. At first he denied the theft but later confessed. This is according to TV news reports, Mainichi Shimbun online, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1