• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Terraformars & Terra Formars Revenge (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Censorship galore. All the great scenes from the manga are so sanitized that it's ridiculous. 3 episodes does it for me, I'm dropping this series.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Censorship galore

Not gonna lie, the crude censorship is ruining the experience.

It is unfortunate that the series is not even trying to be clever by using a pixelated masking to imply an even more gruesome scene.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
The censorship is just ridiculous. If I knew for sure someone was going to license this I'd stop watching and wait for a proper release.

Between the incompetent blocking and utter lack of animation in the action scenes coupled with the censorship, it's virtually impossible to tell what the hell is going on.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
You can at least try to explain away blacking out half your screen by saying they're heavy shadows... But having big black circles cover stuff is definitely the worse case of censoring I've ever seen.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:19 am Reply with quote
Episodes 2 and 3

I just finished my finals, so I must have missed last week's when it came out.

Two big things:
The censoring is horrible, it is one thing to kind of mosaic something so it is not clear. But when you are purposely covering a big black shape over anything outrageous so you have to use your imagination to actually understand what is happening, you are taking it too far.

Also, the designs of the bugs do seem rather unfortunate, probably not deliberate, but there is something there that could be seen as racist. An opinion on the roaches, it is clear that they are meant to have an uncanny valley design, to think of a bug and human like design and kind of creepy and intelligent, I can think of something like a xenomorph. That they chose a design that could be taken like this is kind of their own fault, it seems they really wanted the bipedal thing. Actually going along popular movie aliens, what the bugs can do kind of reminds me of Predators in terms of ripping heads off.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, the designs of the bugs do seem rather unfortunate, probably not deliberate, but there is something there that could be seen as racist.

I dunno, attack on titan was already released and it could be argued a good chunk of the titans were overweight westerners... eating... so pretty much your stereotypical American in "monster" size.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:53 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
Also, the designs of the bugs do seem rather unfortunate, probably not deliberate, but there is something there that could be seen as racist.

I dunno, attack on titan was already released and it could be argued a good chunk of the titans were overweight westerners... eating... so pretty much your stereotypical American in "monster" size.

Attack on Titan is WWII like propaganda against America. Laughing The characters were mostly German in that.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:02 am Reply with quote
Censorship is really killing this for me and it wouldn't inspire me to buy the anime to find out what's behind it.

I think the manga look of the aliens (because really that's what they are with what seems to be a culture) was very problematic. However, the anime with certain details has managed to make them look more bug like, so that's an improvement. By also focusing in the TV show on getting a cure for the disease, they've sidestepped the whole colonialism aspect and wiping out an indigenous population (which is a form of racism and with the look of the aliens was also problematic) that they had in the manga. Its still being presented as a species war, but it will be interesting to see if in the anime and manga they are clever enough to set up a situation where the humans are called out for their prejudice. Now that would be cool, but maybe that would be expecting too much.

Anyways, I'm curious to see where its going but if the censorship continues at this level I'm going to drop it.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:

Attack on Titan is WWII like propaganda against America. Laughing The characters were mostly German in that.

I want whatever drug that can cause you to delve into this sort of insanity...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:

The best kind of drug...... anime.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
There should be an apology for whoever censored this show like that. That's terrible.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:24 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why some big wigs would think it was a great idea to produce such a gore packed title and then just censor the hell out of it. At least come up with something a little more tactful and creative then giant black blobs of NOPE that disengage any kind of immersion from the series. The company responsible for this idiocy should release a statement explaining their logic. I don't even feel like commenting on anything else because this issue has detracted so much from this show.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Although the Titans might not be representative of any particular group of people, I think there is little doubt that Attack on Titan does come across as military propaganda for Japan. It felt like every few minutes we were being explicitly told by the characters that sacrificing yourself for the nation was the highest honor you could possibly achieve.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
so the bizarre censors have made this show unintentionally hilarious, which makes it even better. So I'm going to keep watching, knowing full well that CR will eventually get the uncensored version at a later date.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Wonder how they plan to fulfill their mission..
So far they didn't show any dominance in the fight with roaches.
The roaches are squashing them with ease.
Wtf?! Seems like roaches are copying the powers of the previous crew.
Or is ti the other way around?
Anyway, the new team has some potential.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6