• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Terraformars & Terra Formars Revenge (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
Wait, you mean this actually is related to Texhnolyze? Shocked I thought I was kidding about that...

Also, while I was watching the opening scenes the art style kept reminding me of Shigurui, and it turns out he directed that too. I had no idea.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
I watched the first ep knowing nothing going in, and found it a bit stupid. It had humor similar to JoJo, but without the excuse of being twenty years old. The designs are also very limited. It definitely feels like a mid-90s series, and not a great one. And the "cockroaches" just look like cliche body builders for some reason. It's kinda like the worst bits of Titans without any of the cool stuff.

Also, there's no way anyone would launch a ship like that from earth, you'd build it in space and just travel up to it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
well that was weird, but it's got my attention. I think i might enjoy this
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Welp, it looks like those spoiler[roaches aren't entirely brainless when it came to attack the crew before they even reached Mars.]

The OP song was not bad actually either but the plot feels slow so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[More info about the virus.
The Mars mission objective revealed.
Get the virus samples..
That sounds so simple, doesn't it?
It would've been if there weren't for those roaches.
The atmosphere on the ship sure was interesting.
Sheila - Captain crush was fun ^^
It definitely lightened the mood.
OMG! How?! Guess they had some on board.
The revenge of the roaches began even before they landed.
Guess they are pretty smart too.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Man, that censored violence is really annoying.

Anyhoo, good eppie. I wasn't expecting spoiler[the poop to hit the fan until after they had landed, but there you go. I wonder how the Roaches got onboard? I'm assuming somebody has deliberately sabotaged the mission.]
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Welp, it looks like those spoiler[roaches aren't entirely brainless when it came to attack the crew before they even reached Mars.]

So living breathing human sized roaches were on earth ? Otherwise how the hell spoiler[ did they get in the spaceship Question ]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

So living breathing human sized roaches were on earth ? Otherwise how the hell spoiler[ did they get in the spaceship Question ]

You will find out soon enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Man, that censored violence is really annoying.

Anyhoo, good eppie. I wasn't expecting spoiler[the poop to hit the fan until after they had landed, but there you go. I wonder how the Roaches got onboard? I'm assuming somebody has deliberately sabotaged the mission.]

Like the guy in the bar said, spoiler["roaches can get in anywhere".] Wink I like it how this show goes straight from spoiler[romcom to blood & gore] within a couple of minutes...and even though i'm not much of a fan of seeing intestines being ripped out in full detail, the level of censoring really is ridiculous.

Also, i can see where the people talking about spoiler[racism] in the Preview Guide are coming from. I don't think it's intentional but probably supposed to show that the roaches are evolving, but it still seems to be a bit of an...unfortunate choice.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
Laughing Well put. Somehow I get the impression that Donald Sterling would dig this show. Also, the ... unfortunateness ... seems more pronounced in the manga - perhaps because the Roaches are jet black. For whatever reason, the anime images didn't convey the same degree of, uh-oh, to me that the manga ones did.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
People that see racism in this manga/anime adaptation are deluded.
Roaches in real life are black. Nature made them that way. Have you ever seen a white roach ? It's like criticising that spiders are black.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
That's a really moronic comment. I, like Merida, doubt there was any intentional effort to caricaturize black people in the Cockroach design. By the same token, however, when you look at the manga images you can't claim that those who don't have those doubts are deluded. There is some basis for having doubts. Idiots who claim with utter certainty that those who have doubts are "deluded" are as stupid as those who say for absolute certainty that the designs are caricatures.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
That's a really moronic comment. I, like Merida, doubt there was any intentional effort to caricaturize black people in the Cockroach design. By the same token, however, when you look at the manga images you can't claim that those who don't have those doubts are deluded. There is some basis for having doubts. Idiots who claim with utter certainty that those who have doubts are "deluded" are as stupid as those who say for absolute certainty that the designs are caricatures.

Come on Blood-, I'm sure Cptn_Taylor would be totally, perfectly okay with this concept if instead of roaches, they had used maggots, and the maggots evolved into white-skinned weirdos who were portrayed in manners playing off southern redneck stereotypes. He would be just saying it was homo erectus, even when those maggot-men drove around like maniacs in an old orange Dodge Charger with a confederate flag on it before hopping onto an old hoverboat to make a speedy getaway through the bayou. Cptn_Taylor would be just saying that's how Homo Erectus rolls.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Also, the ... unfortunateness ... seems more pronounced in the manga - perhaps because the Roaches are jet black. For whatever reason, the anime images didn't convey the same degree of, uh-oh, to me that the manga ones did.

I saw the still images first and also had major you gotta be kidding me. But after seeing them animated, they seem to have enough insectile qualities that it doesn't seem as offensive to me. Some of the camera angles really delivered the sense that these are roaches more than people, or even caricatures of people. That could change though.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[How did they get in? That's the main question?
Guess they can fly now..
The elite force guys are scary good.
Finally, some guys that can stand up to roaches.
Wow! Mars really changed after the previous missions.
The problems is that roaches evolved too.
Some teams got lucky, while others didn't.
Still, it's gonna be pretty much impossible to survive there.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6